Author Topic: Chinese Made 1897 Shotgun?  (Read 16623 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Chinese Made 1897 Shotgun?
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 07:05:11 AM »
You know, I don't think I have EVER seen any film or photographs that show troops engaged in house clearing activities where they have bayonets fixed.

I simply can't see where it would be any kind of advantage, but I can see where it could be a HUGE drawback given the confined spaces of a building.

They've certainly improvised other retro solutions, though. There's a number of sources who have sworn that some of the troops in Iraq have been using found or confiscated PPSh-41s in houseclearing. Of course I can't confirm that, but I can't see why not, with a drum, 900rpm, accurate, easy to handle... 

Sure looks like one to me!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 07:18:46 AM »
No argument there.  The bayonet on the SMLE was exceptionally LONG.

You want long?

Try a Type 38 Arisaka and the standard blade bayonet for it.

I'm 5-10 and it's almost as tall as I am.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 07:19:59 AM »
I've heard about the PPsHs being used by troops in Iraq, as well.

Devastating at short range.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 08:10:09 AM »
What's a PPsH?

For that matter, what's a CKC?

I'm not exactly iggerent when it comes to guns, but that's two in this thread I've never heard of.   undecided

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 08:13:51 AM »
A PPSh (I always get the caps wrong) is a WWII era Soviet submachine gun.

This pic. is from Oleg's site...

It was, by and large, the standard armament for the majority of the Soviet military in World War II. Entire units were armed with these, and a few other variant, submachine guns.

Incredible short-range firepower.

In a lot of ways the PPSh can be thought of as the Russian Thompson, although it was far more widely distributed than the Thompson. It had, however, the same sort of public cachet and it became almost universally associated with Soviet troops right through the 1960s when the AK-47 really started entering the public eye.

Hey, here's a link to what looks to be a very good website on the PPSh: http://www.ppsh41.com/

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 08:39:33 AM »
A CKC is an SKS.  "S" is written as a "C" in the Cyrillic alphabet.

I had to laugh out loud at a thread on THR where guys were trying to identify what a CKC that the kid had seen referenced on a book on the Vietnam War.  The other kids called it everything from a pistol to a bolt-action Mauser. laugh grin 

The Europeans most certainly have a point about Americans being dangerously ignorant of other languages.  We cannot even speak English properly. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 08:43:16 AM »
Military Gun Supply now has a replacement semiauto PPSh receiver, barrel and shroud that'll fit the surplused parts kits, comes with the ATF letter.

I am highly tempted, yet not. One, it's damned cool-looking, but...the ammo is costly, and it's sort of missing the point to not have it fire with its original near-buzz of 900 rounds per minute. The thing fired hotloaded 7.62x25, so the rounds were FAST and good at barrier and thick clothing penetration as well.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 08:43:39 AM »
And yet, by far, we're still the world's most influential nation on so many fronts it's not even funny.

Let the rest of the world speak OUR language, the CORRECT language!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 08:47:52 AM »
WHAT double post, Manedwolf?

It's good to have power sometimes...  angel

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 10:24:49 AM »
The bayonet is the ultimate "Night sight", you just thrust it forward in the dark until you feel it stick into something soft. Often there is a grunt or scream that gives audible indication of target lock as well...

Then, pull the trigger. You won't miss.

I tried this once and discovered that I had sent Barney (the large purple one) into the next world.   shocked

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 10:38:15 AM »
I knew what a CKC was. 

As an American, I'll still call it an SKS, ala' Simonov Self-Loading Carbine.

Globalization hasn't entirely taken over my dark soul, not by a long shot.   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"