Author Topic: Dog chases cat, dog is deemed vicious  (Read 3365 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Dog chases cat, dog is deemed vicious
« on: July 27, 2007, 05:24:19 AM »
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770725059

Altoona dog faces Aug. 5 deadline
By MEGAN GORDON
REGISTER STAF WRITER

July 25, 2007

An Altoona family continues to fight for the release of their dog, which was impounded by animal control officials July 6 and later deemed to be a vicious animal.

The 2-year-old Shar-Pei/Rottweiler mix, Bailey, is alleged to have chased a cat onto a neighbors property, and the Altoona City Council on July 16 said that meets the definition of an animal that poses a threat.

The city set an Aug.5 deadline for Bailey to be covered by an insurance policy or $10,000 bond or face death under the ordinance.

Because the city has declared the dog vicious, most insurance companies wont touch us, said the dogs owner, David Bond. My fear is by the time someone does get around and talks to us, my dog will be dead.

City Administrator Jeff Mark said the decision on euthanasia would be up to the rescue league to make that decision.

There are some interesting subjects that come up the greater Des Moines, Iowa area, almost comically to read the Des Moines website on a daily basis.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Dog chases cat, dog is deemed vicious
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 06:44:24 AM »
My sister's freakin Chiahuahua (4 1/2 lbs) will chase cats. Vicious little ankle biter.

The dog didn't even catch the cat? It didn't even have a chance to be vicious. Can't believe a dog would actually act like a dog.

At least he didn't munch it like my Rotty did the neighbor's Chiahuahua.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 07:11:01 AM »
Dog is supposed to be on your property or on a leash.

I love dogs but I have no sympathy for irresponsible dog owners that think there is nothing wrong with letting their mutt run loose.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 07:13:56 AM »
Shar-Pei/Rottweiler mix

Anyone else sick of these stupid breed mixes........ rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 07:17:47 AM »
Shar-Pei/Rottweiler mix

Anyone else sick of these stupid breed mixes........ rolleyes

Thing is "poor" folk can not afford to live in Altoona, IA. Outside of certain parts of Des Moines, section 8 housing is few and far between.

I figured you were insinuating and so was I.

I also figure the owners of Bailey either picked up their dog from the animal shelter or saw a free puppies sign and their kids talked them into it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 08:04:10 AM »
. . . I love dogs but I have no sympathy for irresponsible dog owners that think there is nothing wrong with letting their mutt run loose.
Dogs ought not run around loose - agreed.

On the other hand, I have no sympathy for irresponsible cat owners that think there is nothing wrong with letting their %$#! cat run loose.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 08:06:06 AM »
Granted, the owner SHOULD have had the dog somehow restrained/ restricted to the property. However, it's a completely normal thing for a dog to chase a cat. To declare a dog "vicious" because of a normal trait is just pathetically inane and moronic. Had the dog gone after a human, then, maybe.

And I also concur with HankB. Cats should face the same restrictions as dogs. I can't say how many times at my old house that I would go out to my vehicle and see little kitty paw prints all over them. A closer look even showed scratches.  angry
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 08:13:49 AM »

I love dogs but I have no sympathy for irresponsible dog owners that think there is nothing wrong with letting their mutt run loose.

Dog was on thier property, until the cat came on thier property and was chased off.
They should be cited under leash or tresspass laws.  The damn thing was just being a dog, chasing small furry animals like cats is what they do.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 08:24:29 AM »
My hometown actually had a fine for "cat at large", not sure if is still on the books or not. I remember reading about every now and then in the police blotter.

Uranus is a gas giant.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 10:04:26 AM »

Dog was on thier property, until the cat came on thier property and was chased off.
They should be cited under leash or tresspass laws.  The damn thing was just being a dog, chasing small furry animals like cats is what they do.

Dog was off his property at some point. There is no excuse for not keeping your dog under proper control at all times. NONE.

I am inclined to agree that cats should be kept inside as well, although there are very good reasons to let them outside to keep down the rodent population in the area. It is pretty tough to keep a cat in a yard short of a fully enclosed cage as a practical matter.

I wonder if there is a little more to this story that we are not hearing.

Some dogs like to bite. Is it OK with you if we let them do what dogs do and just go around biting anyone they choose?
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 10:12:31 AM »
As I thought there is more to this story.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070714/NEWS/707140330/1001/RSS01

Neighbors said Bailey scares their children and they don't feel safe when he is loose.

"If they would just make sure that dog is in a kennel where it couldn't get out and attack my kids, it wouldn't matter," Eden said. "I'm just trying to keep my children safe."

(must be something in the water)
http://www.altoona-iowa.com/filecab/2007-07-16%20Council%20Minutes.pdf

Citizens request to address council
Susan Purviance, 302 15th Avenue SW, stated that she had witnessed her neighbor slaughtering turtles in their front yard. She asked Council to stop this from happening. Mayor Burget stated that there was no ordinance against butchering animals and directed the City Attorney to review this.

Hearing to determine the disposition of an impounded dog
City Attorney Bob Laden spoke that this matter was brought to the attention of City staff on April 17, as a result of a March 10, 2007 incident. There was a subsequent incident on July 6 involving the dog attacking a child in the neighborhood. He stated that all witnesses would be allowed to speak, and encouraged the Council members to listen to all the evidence and then make a decision as to whether the dog should be deemed vicious. Police Chief John Gray presented a background of the incidents involving the dog. He stated that the dog does meet the definition of a vicious dog, and the owners are not keeping the dog under control. Rebecca Bond, 1025 6th St NW, the owner of the dog, gave a background of the dog, and answered questions from Council members. Sherry (Rebecca Bonds sister), 813 West End Avenue, Nevada, and Steve Patterson, Guthrie Center, spoke that the dog was excitable, but not dangerous. Speaking in favor of the dog being deemed vicious were 1) Christen Eden, 511 11th Ave NW, 2) Melissa Halston, 514 11th Ave NW, 3) Andrea Kinsley, 1029 6th St NW, 4) Penny Hanson, 1022 6th St NW, and 5) David Cross, 1027 6th St NW.
Police Officer Brett Handy of the Altoona Police Department reported on what he had seen in the neighborhood on July 6, 2007. His opinion was that the dog was aggressive. The Hearing was closed at 7:48.
Motion made by Councilwoman Stacey Warren to declare the dog vicious. Seconded by Councilman Skip Conkling.
Roll Call Vote:
_2_ Conkling _Y_ Sloan _Y_ Riding _1_ Warren _A_ Davenport (4-0)
City Attorney Bob Laden explained the process from here and offered to answer any questions that Mrs. Bond may have.
bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 10:12:44 AM »
joys of the Des Moines Register is that they hardly ever tell the whole story

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 03:05:43 PM »
At least he didn't munch it like my Rotty did the neighbor's Chiahuahua.

Survival of the un-annoying. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 03:29:28 PM »
joys of the Des Moines Register is that they hardly ever tell the whole story

Or any other news organization for that matter.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 05:08:07 PM »
Dog was off his property at some point. There is no excuse for not keeping your dog under proper control at all times. NONE.
With all due respect:
I'd say there are many "excuses" for loosing control over a dog.
You've never slipped in the snow while walking the dog and drop the leash? 
You've never been caught off guard while talking to the neighbor, only to see fido chasing a rabbit.

Everyone is so damn whiny about anything and everything anymore.

We have a neighbor who's dog has a way to get out of their backyard, he's a minor nuisance.
He tears up trash bags left out of the can, eats the food my girlfriend leaves for the strays, and even craps in my yard once in awhile.
But big deal, when he bothers me he gets a BB in the butt (he doesn't come in my yard anymore)

There is only one sure fire way to please all those people who dislike everyone else's pet.
BAN PETS altogether

Or better yet, we could all just buck up and quit whining!!
Animals are animals, they are unpredictable and are never truly under their "owners" control

Of course, I believe pet owners should use some common sense, courtesy and respect.

But lets keep things in perspective people (I say that generically to my fellow countrymen, not specifically to forum members)

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 06:37:18 PM »

What about those of us with dogs that can climb fences, like my Shar-pei?Fortunately, she only makes it into my neighbors' yards but sometimes they leave their gates open
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 08:07:32 PM »
My dog can climb, too, but I still blame myself for the fence being too easily scaled.  Thankfully, she doesn't do it anymore.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 09:57:44 PM »
What about those of us with dogs that can climb fences

Oi vey.  Tell me about it.  I watched my 10 month old "puppy" scale a 5'6" high chain linked fence the other weekend.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 10:41:23 PM »
The family is going about this all wrong!

First they need to have their publicist release the following:

Bailey would like to state for the record that he is not a cat hater, and counts many Feline-Americans among his dearest friends.  Nevertheless, Bailey has decided to seek help in order to deal with with his sudden angry outburst, which, as he said earlier this week on "OPRAH, "seemed to come out of nowhere, as if from another dog entirely".  Bailey's family would like to thank the public for their outpouring of support, and for respecting their privacy during this difficult time.

Then they can request a transfer from the pound to Betty Ford.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 06:20:58 AM »
With all due respect:
I'd say there are many "excuses" for loosing control over a dog.
You've never slipped in the snow while walking the dog and drop the leash? 
You've never been caught off guard while talking to the neighbor, only to see fido chasing a rabbit.
There is a difference between the situations you describe and making no attempt whatsoever to control a dog that has exhibited aggression on multiple occasions in the past as this dog has.

There is no excuse to allow a dog that you know has attacked people in the past to get loose and then claim innocence. That is just plain irresponsible. Does the dog have to kill someone before you will agree to restrain it?
bob

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007, 08:14:43 PM »
There is no excuse to allow a dog that you know has attacked people in the past to get loose and then claim innocence. That is just plain irresponsible. Does the dog have to kill someone before you will agree to restrain it?

No disagreement there. 
Personally if I had a dog that had attacked people on more than one occasion.  I'd be the first to either put him down or take him to a proper location.
Like a junk yard or farmland.

I certainly don't think it's excusable to allow your dog to run wild and to be completely negligent when it comes to it's control.

There are plenty of ways to deal with a bad dog owner that don't involve wasting precious LEO time. Wink

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 09:25:58 PM »
What about those of us with dogs that can climb fences
Two words: Hot wire.

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 09:38:48 PM »
Sounds like the cat led him on.   

There we have it, entrapment.  The dog shall be released immediately.

Dogs chasing cats.  Talk about a "no news day."

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2007, 07:05:55 AM »
Sounds like the cat led him on.

We had a time in our life when we had to suddenly move from a very remote rural lifestyle to the city.  We had two wolf-hybrid sled dogs, plus a mouse hunting pussycat.  Our dogs and their kitty got along fabulously.

In the new environs, the dogs were kept chained in the backyard while the kitty roamed free, as did many other cats in the neighborhood.

Well, by chance or intention (?) pussy would go out and get in an altercation with one or more of the other local feline gang members, and then come running home to where our dogs were tied up.  Imagine the surprise on the part of the pursuing kitty thugs, when our big old male wolf-mix stood up to see what the matter was  shocked

I swear, that cats can laugh ...  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin