Author Topic: A Logical Disconnect?  (Read 5248 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: A Logical Disconnect?
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 11:27:10 AM »
Hell also believes in the former Soviet Union, and what it's become.

Back to square one.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 10:39:59 PM »
See, I would solve this whole problem by holding the perpetrator at gunpoint, and giving him the gospel until he converts.  Then I shoot him dead, he goes to heaven, I'm a double-hero (I defended myself and saved a sinner from Hell; sweet).  Everybody wins, really.   smiley
There's something wrong with that, but I like it anyway.  laugh
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Chris

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 05:29:36 AM »
Try this logical argument, as she sounds like a bright girl.

Any criminal who gets shot and dies will go to Hell as a result of the way he/she chose to live.  God gave us all free will, and the criminal made choices using that free will.  While you and I chose to live good lives, this criminal chose to live a bad life, victimizing others.  If a bullet from my gun kills the person, I did not sit in judgment of the person's life.  God did.  And if God chose to send the criminal to Hell, that is God's will.  My role, to paraphrase the often used quote, was simply to arrange the meeting.  The same as if the criminal had drowned, overdosed on drugs, been hit by a car, or simply went to sleep only to have his/her heart stop somewhere in the night.  While I may be responsible for the death in this example, the eternal suffering as you call it is his/her consequence for a lifetime of sin.

Besides, which is the better outcome, that this criminal suffers for his sins, or that myself or some other person, or many other persons should suffer as a result of the criminal continuing to live and victimize others?

Good discussion with a young lady looking for answers in a world full of questions.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 08:14:49 AM »
OTOH, maybe the burglar just accepted Jesus the day before, and he was in the process of turning his life around (just a few more break-ins, to steal something to put in the offering plate).  Then you would be sending him to heaven  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 07:35:45 PM »
fistful opined:
See, I would solve this whole problem by holding the perpetrator at gunpoint, and giving him the gospel until he converts.  Then I shoot him dead, he goes to heaven, I'm a double-hero (I defended myself and saved a sinner from Hell; sweet).  Everybody wins, really. 

You would have made a fine Crusader.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 07:42:19 PM »
Your point?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 08:51:47 PM »
I've heard christian-types claim that they would not use lethal force in defense because they know that they are saved, whereas they are unsure of the salvation status of the offender, and thus it is better that they go to heaven because there is a chance that the offender could become saved before death.

I understand the logic there but it's not something I'm willing to go with.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Strings

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2007, 10:30:45 AM »
I once had someone tell me that using lethal force to defend myself or another was "not Christian".

They were totally lost when I pointed out that *I* am not Christian, either. Ruined their whole argument. Was reminded of that reading this: http://skippyslist.com/2007/07/31/sgt-generic-part-1/

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 10:51:57 AM »
It's not your fault the man wasn't saved.
And she doesn't know he's not.
He could somehow have worked out being a super Christian and stole your TV at the same time.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 11:00:39 AM »
He could somehow have worked out being a super Christian and stole your TV at the same time.

"Once saved, always saved." 

Doesn't matter what you do after you've answered the altar call  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 04:18:07 PM »
They were totally lost when I pointed out that *I* am not Christian, either. Ruined their whole argument. Was reminded of that reading this: http://skippyslist.com/2007/07/31/sgt-generic-part-1/

LOL

Doesn't matter what you do after you've answered the altar call

Ole Tallpine's got his sin license.   angel

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2007, 04:46:12 PM »
Does anyone else besides me see the logical disconnect in that train of thought? How would you respond to it if you had the same conversation?
Certainly I see the logical disconnect. The sin is in the mind of the sinner, the act is only a follow-up. A thief/robber/assailant is going to Hell (if you accept that construct) whenever he/she dies, so it doesn't really matter if you assisted in the departure or not. The destination is not open to question.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2007, 10:25:16 PM »
've heard christian-types claim that they would not use lethal force in defense because they know that they are saved, whereas they are unsure of the salvation status of the offender, and thus it is better that they go to heaven because there is a chance that the offender could become saved before death.

Ah, but the worst sin in G-d's eyes is murder.  Therefore, if by killing him before he murders you, you can prevent him from committing the gravest sin.

Then you, the good Christian, can ask forgiveness, again, and go on your merry way.   grin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2007, 04:10:57 AM »
Ah, but the worst sin in G-d's eyes is murder.   

It is?  Huh?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2007, 04:11:11 AM »

Doesn't matter what you do after you've answered the altar call  laugh
Not every denomination buys into that bit of theology.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2007, 07:34:09 AM »
Quote from: Antibubba on Today at 03:25:16 AM

It is? 

I know it's been forgotten to most of the Xtian world, but part of asking forgiveness for one's sins is asking forgiveness of those you have sinned against.  Once you've murdered someone it's impossible to tell them you're sorry.

Strings

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2007, 07:55:09 AM »
>Once you've murdered someone it's impossible to tell them you're sorry.<

Easy enough.

- Line up sights on target
- say "Sorry 'bout this"
- pull trigger

There... you'v ask forgiveness...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2007, 08:04:50 AM »
Quote from: Antibubba on Today at 03:25:16 AM

It is? 

I know it's been forgotten to most of the Xtian world, but part of asking forgiveness for one's sins is asking forgiveness of those you have sinned against.  Once you've murdered someone it's impossible to tell them you're sorry.

Are you saying this is the Christian point of view, or your point of view or both? 

The Bible speaks of "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" as being the unforgivable sin.