Author Topic: So full of smoked BBQ pork...  (Read 2654 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: So full of smoked BBQ pork...
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 06:30:05 AM »
Details details.

Well, we still have another shoulder in Chris' freezer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 06:33:24 AM »
I have a 8.5 lb turkey in my freezer that I need to smoke also.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 06:37:22 AM »
One of the first things I ever smoked was a turkey for a friend's Christmas party.

It was a HUGE hit.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 07:16:11 AM »
The first thing I have ever smoked at home was a turkey for Christmas in 1999. I was in grad school and my little brother was living with me and my folks were living 800 or so miles away. So we spent that Christmas together and he had received a free 23# turkey from work and my neighbor just gave me his old brinkman water smoker.

I had worked when I was younger in a Mom and Pop BBQ restaurant and was used to cutting and then smoking 800-1000lbs of meat at a time, so I scaled it down a bit for the turkey and we managed to snarf that bird down between the two of us in 3 days.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 10:34:46 AM »
I tried smoking a turkey once, couldn't keep the damn thing lit...  shocked

cheesy

I think my wife would have been a little pissed if I took off on Friday and drove to Virgina.
Aww, she'd get over it, eventually.  grin

No, actually I've been roasting turkeys on the Weber for quite some time now. I stuff an apple or orange in the cavity to keep it moist and put the standard turkey type seasonings on it. Mmm-Mmm-good!

Oh yea, the secret to the natural lump charcoal is to only build a small fire and replenish with a couple handfulls every hour or so. I also cut the air way back so it burns slowly.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2007, 07:57:59 AM »
I just finished the last of the pork.  I'm sad now.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 08:19:35 AM »
I still have some.

I'll probably finish it for lunch tomorrow.

Then I shall be sad.

w turner

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2007, 12:23:01 PM »
Sounds great Mike. 

As to that white sauce you guys made..........

Sounds like a variation on the classic White Sauce originally developed for slow cooked whole chickens at Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, AL.  They have gotten much mileage out of that simple little sauce.  They just started bottling and selling it regionally a few years ago and the bottled stuff just isn't the same. 

My favorite way to use it is to slow cook either whole or split chickens and when done, put them in a large rubbermaid or tupperware container, cover with the white sauce and toss lightly so that the chicken is evenly coated. 

Funny story about this sauce.......

My wife grew up in the south, but not in a family that was "of" the south.  Nothing deep friend, no cast iron, they grilled and called it barbecue. you get the idea. 
Fortunately she met me and one of the first dinners she ever had with me was true barbecued chicken cooked for about 6 hours over a hickory fire and served as described above.  Needless to say she fell in love with me and with my dad's cooking. 
Fast forward a few years and she and I are in Jacksonville, FL on our version of a honeymoon and we stop at a small locally owned barbecue joint.  She orders the chicken plate and when the waitress brings it, there is only a red sauce on the plate.  Before I could stop her, she asked the waitress for the White Sauce.  The waitress looked at my wife like she just sprouted another head and asked "What's White Sauce?"  My wife was dumbfounded so I had to explain to the waitress what my wife wanted, then explain to my wife that White Sauce isn't made/used hardly anywhere except north Alabama. 

W

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2007, 03:56:00 AM »
"Sounds like a variation on the classic White Sauce originally developed for slow cooked whole chickens at Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, AL."

You know your sauce.