Author Topic: Miss Arab World  (Read 6045 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Miss Arab World
« on: July 30, 2007, 03:26:28 PM »

More pictures from the Miss Arab World contest.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Re: Miss Arab World
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 03:54:49 PM »
Miss Palestine is beautiful.

My admiration for her beauty is by the fact that she probably wants to push the Jews back into the sea, though.

I have to say, there's something sexy about a hajab, but when you think about the repression that it represents, it spoiles that as well.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 04:09:48 PM »
I was expecting a Burka with eyeholes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Viking

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 04:37:06 PM »
I was expecting a Burka with eyeholes
Same here.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 05:06:32 PM »
me three

Miss Palestine is beautiful

but did they check her name belt thingy?  Palis have this irritating habit of spontaneously 'asploding

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 05:10:11 PM »
Ms. Iraq looks like she caught an IED in the face.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

onions!

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 06:00:18 PM »
Miss Palestine looks like an extra from Conan the Barbarian.Miss Lebanon looks like the stereotypical gypsy.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 06:17:28 PM »
I took another look at miss kuait.  She looks like she was recently competing in Mr. Universe competitions.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 07:50:24 PM »
Did any of them flog an adulterer for the talent portion of the show?  And how did they find a beautiful "Miss" over the age of 14?

I dare anyone to tell me the winner isn't a near-twin of Monica Lewinsky!!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 09:49:48 PM »
Miss Palestine is not wearing a hijab.  Neither is Miss Iraq or Miss Lebanon.  The only ones wearing a hijab are Miss Kuwait and Miss Morocco.

It's really quite ironic that people can stare at a beauty pageant photo, and then notice the oppression in the scarves on their heads but not in the pageant itself. 

Beauty contests are not a sign of the advancement of women's rights.  The fact that a country holds meatmarket style displays of women to award one or the other an honor based on her appearance does not indicate that this country respects women.

Edit:

But I have to agree...Miss Palestine is beautiful.  And Miss Iraq is...I hope unmarried? Smiley

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

SomeKid

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 11:48:54 PM »
Y'all are nuts. That Moroccan chick is the hottest.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 01:59:45 AM »
Miss Iraq is...I hope unmarried?

They should all be unmarried; it is the MISS Arab World contest.  I think it may be a stretch to assume that a hijab or a beauty contest are necessarily oppressive.  But I'm just a terrible sexist, anyway.   

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 03:27:27 AM »
Actually, looking at Ms. Iraq, I'm thinking "drag queen" . . .  shocked
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 04:29:40 AM »

You people are just cruel. She looks like a dusky Tammy Fay Baker.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 05:23:50 AM »
"Beauty contests are not a sign of the advancement of women's rights."

Yeah, I have to agree, and think it's just absolutely HORRIBLE that there are bands of contestant impressment gangs roving the world whose job is to, at gun point, force liberated women to participate in these cattle shows.

The women who "win," the ones who cry when the tiarra is placed on their heads?

Those are tears of SHAME.

rolleyes
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 05:53:01 AM »
You people are just cruel. She looks like a dusky Tammy Fay Baker.
So you're saying you agree with us, eh?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 07:26:22 AM »
I assume they are all married since their faces are uncovered. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 04:39:34 PM »
Miss Iraq is...I hope unmarried?

They should all be unmarried; it is the MISS Arab World contest.  I think it may be a stretch to assume that a hijab or a beauty contest are necessarily oppressive.  But I'm just a terrible sexist, anyway.   

I guess I should agree with you, but then what would we argue about? Smiley

I don't think either are necessarily oppressive either; I do think of the two, the beauty contest is much more likely to reflect the problem. 

Mike,

Yeah, I have to agree, and think it's just absolutely HORRIBLE that there are bands of contestant impressment gangs roving the world whose job is to, at gun point, force liberated women to participate in these cattle shows.

Obviously I have to concede the point you are making.  Women do enter these things voluntarily-but that doesn't mean they're entering into a contest that is based on and promotes respect for women's rights. 

I don't think the contests have to be forced to be oppressive or sexist.  But that doesn't mean every contest is sexist either.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 04:43:40 PM »
I assume they are all married since their faces are uncovered. 

Huh?

Face covering is rare.  I imagine it's forced in some places for whatever reason (like the guy is a jealous third world husband?), but the consensus is that not only is it not required, it's not even to be held up as "more virtuous" or anything like it.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 06:48:23 PM »
When I was in UAE, covered faces were more the rarity than the norm. Almost every woman wore a head scarf at a minimum, though. That was back in 1990.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 07:41:22 PM »

Pork rocks! 

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 09:02:26 AM »

Pork rocks! 

Lamb rules

mfree

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 12:01:50 PM »
So a pork and lamb sandwich is a Rock and Rule?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 12:06:17 PM »
I'm Lutheran, and I love bacon.  grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 01:58:56 PM »
I'm Lutheran, and I love bacon.  grin

beef bacon is great Smiley