Author Topic: Summer pics ..........  (Read 25592 times)

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2005, 08:16:26 PM »
Kind of different, but still a 'summer pic'. A little self portrait I did on the bus:

Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

InfidelSerf

• friend
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2005, 06:35:16 PM »
What a beautiful moon tonight nearly full.  
Tomorrow is the full moon.  
Any suggestions on how to capture a good shot?
This was only one of the many I took that came out decently.. the rest the camera would take blurry shots.

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

InfidelSerf

• friend
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2005, 06:38:25 PM »
you can get the idea of the shot I was trying to get with this one
My camera has limited settings..
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2005, 06:55:41 PM »
Moon does tend to mean - tripod!  Plus it is surprising how fast it moves - relative sense - if doing a time exposure.  Your first two are actually very acceptable - but camera-shake is a big enemy, viz that last one.  Once shutter speeds get down low - it is hard to avoid without tripod.

Plus - longer the lens - meaning if you zoom in - the worse it gets.  The old rule-of-thumb used to be - shutter speed at least, equal to focal length - this was in 35mm film days of course.

So - if using full zoom, equivalent to say, 200mm - then 1/200 second exposure hand held is minum to cope with camera shake.  1/150 of course better.

Astro subjects are never too easy.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

InfidelSerf

• friend
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2005, 06:59:09 PM »
That was at 400.. and it was by hand.  I just have a desktop tripod. I'll have to break that out for tomorrow.  

Let's see what kinds of moon shots everyone can get for the full moon.  THere should be some good opportunities.

Antibubba

• friend
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2005, 07:27:02 PM »
Veloce,

My first thought on that first moon photo was, "HEY!  That looks like Elliott and E.T!"  Cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2005, 07:38:42 PM »
I can't claim credit for this pic but hey - this is what I'd like to achieve.  Will keep an eye on sky and see what gives.  It's what I'd LIKE to achieve!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well - just a few minutes ago went out to check and took a few - lot of whispy cloud but this one came out not too bad - so here it is - tho even at 200mm full zoom - not all that great.

Chris - P95

InfidelSerf

• friend
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2005, 07:48:06 PM »
Well he grew up and got a better bike Smiley  ...

Ok its cheezy I was just bored

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2005, 07:56:30 PM »
Veloce - haha - you must be ''over the moon'' with that pic LOL Cheesy
Chris - P95

wasrjoe

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2005, 09:40:46 PM »
Veloce - haha - you must be ''over the moon'' with that pic LOL big_smile
You know, Chris - May I call you Chris - you see, Chris, everyone here thinks that you have problems. This is an intervention. We feel these puns are hurting you and - more importantly - all of us.
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

DigMe

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2005, 03:48:22 AM »
All I can say is there better not be any ass involved in these full moon shots.

brad cook

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2005, 07:05:03 AM »
We feel these puns are hurting you and - more importantly - all of us.
Oh my - I am mortified - time to go get some extra lessons from the Preacheman! Cheesy

Of course you may call me Chris!! Smiley
Chris - P95

Ktulu

• http://www.michiganshooter.com
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2005, 10:18:59 AM »
I used to be pretty heavy into astrophotography a few years ago. I have some moon pics somewhere but I can't find them right now. Anyway, to get a decent sized image of the moon on 35mm film I was using a 10in telescope at f6.3. That works out to be a lens with about a 1600mm focal length if I remember the formula correctly. P95Carry, it looks like the moon picture you posted was taken through a filter (polarizing maybe).

The moon is pretty bright. Relatively low exposure times can be achieved even at high f numbers, but with long focal lengths you can really see the atmosphere "swimming" in the view finder. You'll need a nice still, low humidity, night and time to make a bunch of exposures to get a really good, crisp, photo. Try and pick a night in the middle of several consecutive days of calm clear skies. These tend to be the most stable. Live on a mountain or in the desert, great! Live in Michigan like me, you take what you can get.

If you can, avoid shooting pictures over your house, garage, or anything that heat may be rising from. If the sun has been heating the ground or the roof of your house all day, try and give them some time to get closer to the ambient temperature.

Try to get away from any extraneous light sources. Nice dark skies are not needed when photographing the moon. Light polluted cities are fine, but find a place away from stray light. Your neighbors floodlight isn't going to do your pictures any good and you can get some really weird artifacts from off axis light sources like cars driving buy, etc.

Obviously you want a good stable mount, a cable release, and the fastest shutter speed you can get. Since the exposure time is going to be pretty low you can get away with the camera not tracking the moon across the sky.

Open up your lens as far as possible. Unless you have really good lenses, a good indicator is the price tag, you might want to stop it down one stop as most lenses are optically better in the middle. ED or apochromatic glass in your lenses is preferred but not necessary. Pictures of the moon tend to be very high in contrast. Lenses that are not "color corrected" can add a blue or rainbow hue at the edge of bright objects.

If you're using an SLR and it has a mirror lock up feature, use it. This eliminates one source of vibration in the camera. When photographing planets I used to do something called the "hat trick." Use something like a hat to cover the lens without touching it. Trip the shutter and wait for the vibrations to abate. Move the hat to start the exposure, return the hat in front of the lens, and close the shutter. This can be used in place of a cable release but consistent short exposures are going to be difficult. The "hat trick" is better for longer exposures but everything you do to remove camera motion gives you a slightly crisper picture if your equipment is up to the challenge.

This wont help with digital cameras, but I always used black and white film for the moon as it is finer grained than color film and the moon is pretty black and white anyway. If you are using film, use the lowest possible ISO number that still allows a reasonable shutter speed. The higher the ISO, the grainier the film.

When the moon is near the horizon and it looks huge, it's an optical illusion. It's angular size is the same when it's directly overhead. You should get a better picture shooting as close to the zenith (straight up) as possible. One of the reasons is that your camera simply has less atmosphere to see through than when shooting near the horizon.

One last thing I learned from moon pictures and astrophotography, good moon pictures always wow the average person more than galaxies and nebulas. Everyone knows the moon; few know what that obscure cloud of dust or the million light year away galaxy are.

Here's a pic I took of NGC7000 (North American Nebula) one summer a few years ago (300mm f/2.8, 45min exposure, probably unhypered Kodak PPF)...

Jeff

MichiganShooter.cOm

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2005, 10:54:32 AM »
Some more of my pictures.  These were taken today, on Yellow Fork multiuse trail, here in the Salt Lake valley.

(yes, that is a lizard....)
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2005, 04:31:48 PM »
Jamis - thank you - very pleasing pics (not sure about the lizard LOL).

Jeff - thanks too for your input - very useful pointers to those wanting to get those sorta shots.  That nebula pic is excellent - and ''only'' a 300mm - impressive!

My moon pic - just the small one I took of course! - had no filter and was taken as I think I said at full zoom, 200mm but the original pic is some 2560 x 1920 so this is just cropped out.  I did tho convert to grayscale as a slight yellowness was unhelpful.  I did as often in these cases - shoot about five or six off a tripod with release and bracketted those - selecting what exposed best.  The atmospheric density factor makes one exposure for all times impractical, so have to bracket.
Chris - P95

grampster

• friend
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2005, 05:15:23 PM »
Chris,

We are all mooning over your pics.     (I'm so sorry, my keyboard has a mind of its own)
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2005, 05:50:04 PM »
Hehe - careful which direction you ''moon'' - might be called a ''bike rack'' LOL
Chris - P95

InfidelSerf

• friend
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2005, 06:55:46 PM »
I found the night setting on my digcam.. so I played around a bit.  I misse dthe moon though Sad

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2005, 07:12:48 PM »
That first one works rather well (it appears the mmon is showing tho, thru the trees) - the second is not so successful.  That said - time exposures of night highways can yield some interersting results.
Chris - P95

InfidelSerf

• friend
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2005, 07:17:43 PM »
yeah it looks that way.. except that's a street light Smiley

P95Carry

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2005, 07:27:19 PM »
Haha - streetlight eh - well had wondered but- the effect is good!  Sorry about my typo's previously BTW - lazy figners Cheesy
Chris - P95

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2005, 04:26:34 AM »
Quote from: P95Carry
Jamis - thank you - very pleasing pics (not sure about the lizard LOL).

Thanks. There were some Cacti in bloom, but that section of trail was quite rocky and I was concentrating on not falling over, otherwise I might have stopped to shoot 'em.

Ah, the joys of tight, twisty singletrack!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Paddy

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2005, 05:08:30 AM »
10 minutes ago through the dining room window

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Summer pics ..........
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2005, 10:39:05 AM »
The sun/fog dichotomy that is very common in summer San Francisco.

At the beach:

At Alta Plaza Park, looking southwest.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

toro

Summer pics ..........
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2005, 11:45:11 AM »
What lovely pictures.  I loved all of them, even the winter ones.

Mike Irwin did you ever shoot IPSIC in Ohio?  Maybe in the 80s?  My husband and I put on IPSIC matches at Butler County and also shot in Dayton in the 80s.  Your name sounds familar.

Mrs. Toro

==========================================
Acts 19:20
So mightily grew the Word of God and prevailed.