Author Topic: Irresponsible Pet Owners (Rant)  (Read 2838 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Irresponsible Pet Owners (Rant)
« on: June 12, 2005, 08:09:18 PM »
Boy, oh boy, am I hot over this one!

My 70-something neighbor's daughter flaked out again and decided to move to California.  The reason matters not, except to say that she's a flake and wants to live in the "coolest" place possible.

So, Flake-Ho packs up her stuff and drives out to Hollywood, California.  No job lined up.  No apartment lined up.  No research on jobs or housing.  Nothin'.  She leaves her dog (Magellan) with her folks here in Texas & intended to retrive him later.

Turns out Flake-Ho didn't realize that housing in Hollywood is a bit more pricey than Richardson, Texas.  

She calls up her mom, blubbering how the only apartment she can afford does not allow pets.  More blubbering follows and she asks if her folks can keep Magellan permanently.  

It seems Flake-Ho has forgotten her folks circumstances:
1. Her dad had a stroke 25 years ago, leaving him paralyzed on half his body and with a speech impediment so severe I can only understand every fourth word.  (His mind is intact, leaving him a prisoner in his meat-sack, unable to do what he used to or even converse to others beyond waving and croaking a "Hello.")
2. Her mom has busted her hump for the last 25 years taking care of her dad, while simultaneously holding down a full-time job.
3. Her dad requires daily asistance to get along.  Things like cooking and laundry are herculean feats for him.
4. Her mom doesn't really like dogs & only cares for Magellan because she feels sorry for the poor dog.
5. Her dad is experiencing non-stroke-related health problems that periodically put him in the hospital.

In other words, her folks are not in the position to take on Magellan full-time and are hoping to find him a new home.

I guess getting all weepy over her irresponsibility & tossing away of a life makes it OK.

She needs a good beating with a 2x4.

Anybody near DFW want a dog?  Magellan is a friendly dog.  
Black mutt
1/2 to 3/4 the size of a lab
Neutered
House trained
Responds to verbal commands
Does not run off in the absence of a leash (edited for clarity)
Friendly
Healthy

We'd take him (he gets along with our dogs), but we already have two dogs (one of which was inherited when my dad-in-law stroked out for a bit).  I would only go to three dogs in the city if another person in the family died/got sick & could no longer care for their pet.

I had hoped writing this would have helped, but I still would like to give Flake-Ho some wall-to-wall counseling.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 08:59:57 PM »
GRRRRRRRRR  Creatures like that need to be beaten with a stick (not more than 1/2 in in diameter though, but wrapping said stick with barbed wire is permited).  IMAO, when one takes a pet/working animal into their lives, they are responsible for its care and well being for the rest of the animal's life.  To me personally, that included keeping the animal with me and its fellows, no matter what, so long as I can provide for the animals care and health.

*I* wish I were in a place to take Magellen, but my four furry felines Overlords would flay the poor beast alive, never having lived with dogs.  And it would not be fair to the cats, to sudden thrust A MONSTER into their safe and relatively (four indoor cats and a vacuum cleaner do not a tranquil home make)  peacefull home.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 05:15:05 AM »
Tough love time... time to tel the daughter that Magellan's going to a kill shelter.

(He's not really, but it's reality check time for the doting daughter)

BobCat

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 07:55:53 AM »
jfruser,

May I have permission to cross-post your rant?  Might or might not help, but pet people I know (decent ones) might come to the rescue.  Can't hurt to try.

Oh, and I agree with you 100% - but there are more irresponsible people out there than you can count.  I picked up an abandoned dog (starved half to death, no fur, just scabs) at the range about 3 weeks ago - treating her for mange - and have a home lined up for her when she is clean.  With 9+1 cats, there is no way she can stay with us permanently.

Regards,
Andrew

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 08:30:28 AM »
BobCat:

Feel free to cross-post.

Have them contact me at:
jfruser-at-comcast-dot-net
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

BobCat

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 11:11:51 AM »
wilco

Paddy

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 03:58:13 PM »
She's in for some surprises.  Hollywood will kick her ass.  Check in on her in a couple of years.

Best wishes in finding Magellan a good home.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 05:09:22 PM »
Good luck finding Magellan a home.  My wife and I are suckers - we're now up to 5 cats, a dog and a boa constrictor.  We've rescued several animals from former owners who should be beaten with a stick.   I keep telling my wife we are at and past capacity.  *sigh*

*grumble* What I'd like to do to people who won't take responsibility for their pets ...
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 05:14:44 PM »
She's in for some surprises.  Hollywood will kick her ass.
I'm not sure it's going to be about kicking.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

P95Carry

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 05:24:40 PM »
What ever happened to the ''a dog (pet) is for life''  Geez.

My step daughter, who I love dearly - some ways back wanted to get another cat (our previous one expired). I was not favoring another - having reached a stage where I do not want the hassle of animals around the house - need a break from it.  Tho we still have one geriatric ol' dog.

So what happens - I get assured that it won't be any problem and anyways she was soon off to live in with her BF, who also has a cat.  Hmmm well - this was OK until having lived away for 5 months - she is now back - not just with her cat - but HIS too - sheesh - now two cats (which I like) but I do NOT need them - I did not ASK for them and thus they are in the house on sufferance - just as I knew would occur.  So damned predictable.

But - no one listens at the outset - it's all so simple, they'll never be any bother.  I get really P'd off at irresponsibility with people and animals - they do NOT think ahead and do NOT take the whole deal seriously enough at all.  If they get tired of dealing with (insert animal type here) they abrogate responsibility and assume ''someone'' will take over.

Shucks - I could rant on this for pages ... but I'll spare ya! Wink
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 06:22:36 PM »
Ugh.  I'm at full canid capacity right now and my yard (and house) are as large (or small, as the case may be) as your(s) are, J.  I'll pass the info along to every dog person I know.  

I'd love to foster Magellan awhile, but I'm out of room for myself on the bed some nights...not to mention this pride of felis familiaris and felis domesticus I have around here as well.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 06:46:47 AM »
(Warning to Cali-living folks: you ain't a-gonna like this)

I learned a little more about why Flake-Ho (FH) wanted to move to California.

FH is a public school teacher & I suspect that is what she will do in California.  It seems that the insurance provider she'll use/get as an employee is required to cover gastric bypass surgery (stomach stapling).  Her insurance at the school dist she taught at here in Texas does not cover such surgery.

So, all you California taxpayers get to not only pay her salary, you get to pay for her elective cosmetic surgery.  Heck, four weeks at a kill-shelter with the Big Shot at the end is cheap by comparison.

Move to California so you can be cool and the taxpayers will pay to make you thin.  The price you pay is merely the life of your loyal pet.

Hey, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

On the brighter side, my neighbor hopes to be able to place Magellan in a home of one of FH's friends (family with yard).  No guaranty, yet, that it will go through.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

P95Carry

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 08:38:36 AM »
one of FH's friends
So - she has friends Huh?!!  Amazing - Lib' friends no doubt! Sad
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 01:55:19 PM »
So, all you California taxpayers get to not only pay her salary, you get to pay for her elective cosmetic surgery.
Just to clarify, it's not always elective. I know of one (only one) person who did require it as a result of weight gain due to some sort of hyperthyroid thing.

That being said, what I'd have to say to her would probably get me summarily banned from our sister site.:cuss:
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

client32

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 05:39:58 AM »
Quote from: Stickjockey
Just to clarify, it's not always elective.
I was going to bring up this as well.  I would say that most, are probably elective.  An jump on a limb to say that I bet jfruser knows for a fact that this one will be elective as well.

[thinking about finding an easy way out] I wonder if there is a surgery that would increase my endurance without spending all that time simply making slow progress towards it.  [/thinking]
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 08:50:16 AM »
I don't know FH's medical background well enough to be able to determine if it is elective, though she is not nearly as large as most of the types who seem to get gastric bypass surgery.

[frank-lang]
To use blunt language:  She's a big girl, but not sloppy-fat or grotesque.  She can do yard-work for her folks & other household-type activities.  A chubby-chaser kinda guy would dig her, because she has the cushion, but is still mobile & capable.  Sure, she's not going to run a marathon & you wouldn't want to see her in a T-back, but I bet most of us can't run a marathon & I don't want to se any of ya'll in a T-back.
[/frank-lang]
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

BobCat

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 04:50:16 AM »
Well, besides the flaky woman, how about the dog?  Has Magellan been placed?  Did anyone (strange) e-mail you, asking to take the dog?  Thanks in advance for any update - best of luck placing him.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 06:24:55 AM »
BobCat:

Magellan is still with FH's folks.  I will talk to her this weekend about their efforts to place him.

No email from anyone WRT Magellan.  

He's a good dog & her folks won't take him to a shelter before he's placed.  I'd bet good money that if someone was interested in adopting some dog and spent five minutes with him, Magella would have a new home.  Its an easy sell if you meet him.

If it came down to it, I'd take care of him until permanent* arrangements could be made.

* Exclusive of The Big Shot
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 07:58:37 AM »
I would say that most, are probably elective.  An jump on a limb to say that I bet jfruser knows for a fact that this one will be elective as well.
Indubitably, to both points.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!