Author Topic: Minneapolis 35W bridge collapse  (Read 2499 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Minneapolis 35W bridge collapse
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 09:19:08 PM »
Where I live, I am glad to report, we are completely safe from such tragedies.  I heard some official on the radio today, assuring us that "We are inspecting the bridges to make sure there is not the slightest imperfection." 

I repeat:

We are inspecting the bridges to make sure there is not the slightest imperfection.

ROFL.  Good luck with that one, Jimbo.   laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Len Budney

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2007, 04:15:04 AM »
No bridge failures here in Pittsburgh, but several of our overpasses were built so poorly that chunks of concrete would break off and fall on the road below. They took care of it, though: they bolted chain-link "nets" around the underside of many bridges to catch the falling concrete; in a few cases, they built "roofs" over the road below so that falling chunks of bridge would land harmlessly on them.  rolleyes

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Len Budney

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2007, 04:17:53 AM »
And I'd just seen a thing about how the US infrastructure, mostly built in the "expansion" age of the 1950's, the era of public works...is falling apart, with bridges, dams, power infrastructure and all that's being used 20 years past its design lifetime...
Exactly. American roads are comparable to Cuban hospitals: whenever you socialize something, proper maintenance is the first corner to be cut. Exactly why roads should be privatized. Ever hear of a Walmart roof collapsing on the customers?

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.