Author Topic: Looking for a news article...  (Read 992 times)

The Deer Hunter

Looking for a news article...
« on: August 03, 2007, 05:20:30 AM »
I recall reading either on here or on The High Road a new artivle about two(maybe 3 iirc) girls who's home was broken into while they were there and were raped repeatedly, even after one of them called the police twice and didn't show up till the next day. Also, they tried suing the state because the police didn't protect them, but the lawsuit was voided on the basis that the police aren't responsible for the safety of its own citizens.

If anyone knows where I can find this article I would appreciate it.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
Re: Looking for a news article...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 01:01:54 PM »
If I recall it was THR, in a thread about the lack of legal duties of police to protect people. It involved two women who went up onto a roof, and when they thought they heard the police in their home they yelled for the police. They then found it is was the burglers, and where raped.

I think it was California and maybe the police showed up but left, or just drove by, I forget.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
Re: Looking for a news article...
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 02:05:55 PM »
Is this it?

One of the most appalling stories of the failure of the police to protect individuals is that of Carolyn Warren, Joan Taliaferro and Miriam Douglas. On March 16, 1975, they were asleep in their apartment when two men, Marvin Kent and James Morse, broke in and raped Douglas. Warren called the police, told them her home was being burglarized and asked for immediate assistance. She and Taliaferro then climbed on the roof. The police came to Warrens residence, knocked on the door and left when they got no answer; shortly before that, a police officer drove by Warrens house without even stopping. The three women were eventually forced at knifepoint to accompany their captors to the captors apartment. In the words of the facts of the case as laid out in the courts decision, for the next fourteen hours the women were held captive, raped, robbed, beaten, forced to commit sexual acts upon each other, and made to submit to the sexual demands of Kent and Morse.

Warren and her two housemates sued the District of Columbia and the D.C. Metropolitan Police for failing to protect them. The case, Warren v. District of Columbia, made it to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals; the court ruled against Warren. In its decision, the court said, Courts have without exception concluded that when a municipality or other governmental entity undertakes to furnish police services, it assumes a duty only to the public at large and not to individual members of the community.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi