Author Topic: People caught, arrested in really stupid-looking submarine ball in NY Harbor  (Read 6458 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
What the hell is that? It looks like a rusted pokeball. O_o

And why in the East River?

Three Pulled from Sublike Vessel in NYC River
Authorities Reportedly Are Questioning Three Men After Discovery of Sublike Vessel

Aug. 3, 2007 

Authorities are questioning three men after pulling them from a submersible vessel in the East River in Brooklyn, N.Y., according to reports from ABC affiliate WABC.

The men were captured near the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in downtown Brooklyn, near the massive cruise ship the Queen Mary 2, just after 11 a.m.

The intent of the three men being held by police remains unclear, but the initial indication is that it did not appear to be terror-related. They have not been identified by police and no charges have been filed.

The orblike vessel, with a circular hatch on the top for entering and exiting, remains moored in the East River in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn. It was equipped with oxygen tanks, WABC reported.

Copyright © 2007 ABC News Internet Ven

grislyatoms

• friends
"Hey, let's go climb in that old septic tank and cruise around!" laugh
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Anybody want to give odds on the presence of a Confederate Flag and a cooler full of Milwaukee's Best?

Hey Bubba, I gots me an ideeur...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Well, the first sub looked a lot like that, except it was made out of wood.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Exactly what I thought.  The Turtle, built by David Bushnell in 1776.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.

Exactly what I thought.  The Turtle, built by David Bushnell in 1776.

Exactly what I was thinking too. That old cross-section woodcut with the guy inside turning all the cranks..
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
These guys were probably "cranks" too  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

crt360

• friend
Is that hatch made out of a toilet seat?
For entertainment purposes only.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Hmm, just caught the news and looks like it actually is a replica of the Turtle.  Good call!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
did they do anything illegal?
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

DJJ

• friend
That was my question. The article I read said he was near the security zone around the ship. That means he wasn't in it, doesn't it? I mean, is there a security zone around the security zone?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Funny part is, I know a guy whose brother(?) is/was making a replica of the turtle, I wonder if...

I'll check and get back to ya'll...

grin

$5 says it's the same people. LOL...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ron

These guys were probably "cranks" too

You channeling Preacherman?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Your profile says your last activity was this PM at ~2100.

Don't look like you've been banned.  Maybe PC/browser config issues?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend

AFAIK, it's illegal to take a vessel out into public waterways in the area without running lights, a marine radio, fire extinguisher, and all of that other stuff.

And they were apparently in a "security zone". Seriously, floating a submarine past the Queen Mary 2 was just stupid. Why didn't they go somewhere remote to play with it?

esheato

• friend
What's the big deal about the QM2?

On another note, when the QM2 was in the SF Bay, people flocked to see it. Never did understand why.

Ed

Manedwolf

• friend
Uh...that a tiny submarine floating up to an ocean liner tends to scream "I MAY BE A TERRORIST"?
USS Cole ring a bell? Smiley

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
AFAIK, it's illegal to take a vessel out into public waterways in the area without running lights, a marine radio, fire extinguisher, and all of that other stuff.

Running lights ... on a submarine ...  rolleyes

And a really long antenna for the radio.  laugh

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog

And they were apparently in a "security zone". Seriously, floating a submarine past the Queen Mary 2 was just stupid. Why didn't they go somewhere remote to play with it?

Could be the people that made the vessel were unaware of the regulations involving such things. I have to tell you though, I have seen a lot of canoes, kayaks, bass boats,  rafts, etc., that have no running lights, radio, or fire extinguishers.

How is this any worse than some one in a kayak in the same area?
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Len Budney

How is this any worse than some one in a kayak in the same area?
You just don't get it, dude: nothing says "enemy invader" like "submarine." It's the maritime equivalent of "assault weapons" and "sniper rifles."

"Submarine Spotted Just Off NYC Shore!"

"Assault Weapons in Peoria!"

"35% of 'Hunters' Use Sniper Rifles!"

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Manedwolf

• friend
Well, the stupidity sort of stacked up there in "bad judgement".

1. The East River is not where you expect to see a civilian submarine. Floaties and 2" visibility are not conducive to underwater sightseeing.

2. The East River DOES have giant international-symbol cruise ships docked there.

3. The Japanese tried to use minisubs to infiltrate Pearl Harbor. The Hunley infiltrated a Union harbor.

4. The USS Cole was punctured by people who rammed a tiny raft into its side.

5. A ball that looks like it's made of junk rather than a shiny yellow or white thing with windows that says "neptune tours" or the like is a lot more likely to be mistaken for a desparate plot.

It was just dumb to have it there, period. It'd be like having a surprise airsoft game in fatigues with airsoft rifles in front of the Capitol.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
NYC Man Cited for 1775 Submarine
Authorities Responded After Antique Replica Drifted Too Close to Cruise Ship

By DAVID SCHOETZ
Aug. 3, 2007 

A man in a Revolutionary War-era submarine was cited by the U.S. Coast Guard for drifting into a security zone, and for unsafe sailing in New York's East River near the Queen Mary 2 luxury liner, the Coast Guard and New York City Police Department said Friday.

The man in the replica vessel was identified as 35-year-old Philip "Duke" Riley of Brooklyn, N.Y., according to Coast Guard spokesman Petty Officer Seth Johnson.

Authorities said it was the second time Riley had floated the vessel in the vicinity of the cruise ship. The submarine, which reportedly did not have a mechanical propulsion system, was being towed by two other men in a rowboat.

"A makeshift submarine discovered at about 10:30 this morning by an NYPD Intelligence detective onboard the Queen Mary 2 in New York Harbor is the creative craft of three adventuresome individuals," NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly announced in an afternoon press release. "It does not pose any terrorist threat."

While Kelly said the Queen Mary 2 will be inspected to ensure the boat's integrity, and Riley and the two other men could further face NYPD charges, he chalked up the incident as a case of "marine mischief."

Riley was questioned by police after a guard on the Queen Mary 2 spotted the 8-by-4-foot fiberglass and wood submarine, a replica of a 1775 model called the "Turtle," within 200 feet of the ship. The U.S. Coast Guard also responded to the scene.

Oxygen tanks were discovered inside the vessel, but no threatening devices or materials were found onboard.

The "Turtle," invented in Connecticut by David Bushnell, was the first combat submarine designed to plant explosives on the sides of ships, according to the Encyclopedia Britannica.

A photo gallery posted July 17, 2007, on the photo-sharing Web site flickr.com titled "Adventures With an Egg" shows a "Turtle" submarine making a test run in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn, near the spot where Riley was apprehended by authorities today.

The photo slideshow also links to the Web site www.dukeriley.info, the namesake of which is described as "the man behind the madness." On that site, Riley describes himself as an "artist" and "patriot," who combines "populist myths and reinvented historical obscurities with contemporary social dilemmas."

The statement concludes, "Throughout my projects, I profile the space where water meets the land, traditionally marking the periphery of urban society, what lies beyond rigid moral constructs, a sense of danger and possibility."

Copyright © 2007 ABC News Internet Ventures
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Manedwolf

• friend

And good god, that ship is ugly. Hammerhead bridge, no funnel visible from the front.

Compare it to the original:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
I guess sailing a Viking longship up the East River would be a bad idea, too Sad