Author Topic: Abandoning the pseudonym for the real name: pro and con?  (Read 14271 times)

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: Abandoning the pseudonym for the real name: pro and con?
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2007, 01:53:18 AM »
<= That is my real name.  grin  I answer to dude, though.  smiley
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2007, 05:32:59 AM »
fistful, I was having trouble hearing ... does your last name start with a B or a P Huh?

grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2007, 06:46:51 AM »
Quote from: Devonai
If the line is bad, I'll say, "I'm going to use the phonetic alphabet, are you ready?"

Unfortunately this often only makes matters worse.

You're nice.  I don't even warn them.  I just start in with the phonetic alphabet.  The response pegs the person on the other end somewhere between "smart" and "sheltered" (euphemism of the day).
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2007, 12:58:24 PM »
fistful, I was having trouble hearing ... does your last name start with a B or a P Huh?

grin

Gee, I've never heard that one before.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Paddy

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2007, 12:59:42 PM »
Gee, I've never heard that one before.   smiley
He was just joshin' you.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2007, 01:01:29 PM »
Get that one a lot, too.  Boy, maybe I should have hidden my real name.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Paddy

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2007, 01:07:23 PM »
It's the price you pay for having an unusual name.  People say to me "the life of Riley" and slap their rhino thighs like they just thought of something original.  rolleyes

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2007, 01:17:24 PM »
Most of the usual renditions of my last name are too obscene to post here  rolleyes

cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2007, 02:08:08 PM »
maybe I should have hidden my real name

Sorry ... didn't mean to biss you off  sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
Yeah there's a negative, I get ripped for being of the proud French nation. Nope sorry. I am like 1/8 escaped French Hugenot(read: smart enough to leave France) but I am 100% been here for waay too long Virginian. So yeah that's my real name over there; yes it is somewhat peculiar to VA, no I have not surrendered to anyone and yes I have heard and approve of every bad joke on my name. 

Leatherneck, you probably know I am not the greatest fan of the Osprey, but I accept it as a reality of Naval Aviation now. I'll probably be out before my ship supports them but they have been out to work their boat quals. I read the technical directive traffic everyday, there certainly is a lot of process improvement going on. Still, that is one unsexy aircraft. So there I was, far away from any ocean at my mountain home when I hear what sounds like a helicopter crashing into a running Briggs and Stratton lawnmower. Nope, just a USAF V-22 in the 'hood. Doesn't sound like a Sikorsky. Blasphemy!  grin
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2007, 07:59:25 PM »
Well, GigaBuist is a nickname I got from some buddies one night.  I'm a tech dork, and my real name is Justin Buist, so they made up GigaBuist.

Kinda like it, so I adopted it.

I blog under my own name, and realize this could possibly become a problem in the future when it comes to gaining employment.  Certainly factored into Kim du Toit's life. Hasn't bothered me thus far.  I figure I'm a bit lucky on that front.

The only downside I've experienced with regards to posting in my own name resulted in a VERY THIN threat of a libel lawsuit.  Of course, the only reason the fellow got his feather's ruffled was because of my posting under my real name, about said yahoo, a lawyer trying to extract money from him got in touch with me and I provided a signed affidavit saying that said yahoo was a liar with regards to where he earned his income.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2007, 03:50:13 PM »
I posted my real name and deployed address when I was in Iraq. Some THR people sent me gun books. It was nice. I've removed it since then, but it's probably in Google's cache somewhere.

I just don't see the percentage for me to post under my own name. What positive benefit could I possibly gain, other than increased respect from someone else on the intarweb? Yay.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Chuck Dye

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2008, 03:40:09 PM »
Well, I finally came to a decision.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2008, 03:45:12 PM »
There's some friggin' weird and scary-assed people out there on the Intarweb.

Pseudonyms are fine with me.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2008, 03:54:53 PM »
I just start in with the phonetic alphabet.  The response pegs the person on the other end somewhere between "smart" and "sheltered" (euphemism of the day).

Heh. I'm used to it from flying anyway, so I naturally fall back on using it for my collateral duty IT stuff and always go phonetic when giving usernames / passwords over the phone. I know they're not getting it when they stop me in the middle to ask, "wait, is that Foxtrot t-r-o-t, or t-r-a-u-t?" And when they've been repeating the previous phonetics back to me really s-l-o-w-l-y, I know that they've already typed in charliedeltaechofoxtr before asking me the question.  laugh
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2008, 07:34:11 PM »
Well, I finally came to a decision.

Chuck Dye, huh?  That's a good pseudonym--it could almost be a real name.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2008, 01:40:52 AM »
For some months I have been increasingly dissatisfied with my use of a pseudonym and have been within a keystroke of sending the request for a name change.  Have any of you who use your real names on forums had any negative experiences?

Nope.  I still use "carebear" because it has Marine Corps significance for me.  But my real name is in my signature on akll the boards I'm on.

Except FARK, those guys are a bunch of animals.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2008, 03:58:51 AM »
This is my real name.....

....I use a pseudonym in public to blend in with the humans...... Wink
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2008, 04:25:18 AM »
Internet anonymity is largely an illusion.

Your only real name can only be the one you give to yourself. Your legal name is just paperwork. The names others give you are usually misconstrued misconceptions.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2008, 04:45:37 AM »
It's the price you pay for having an unusual name.  People say to me "the life of Riley" and slap their rhino thighs like they just thought of something original.  rolleyes

Only really old people. grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2008, 02:20:49 PM »
Internet anonymity is largely an illusion.

Your only real name can only be the one you give to yourself. Your legal name is just paperwork. The names others give you are usually misconstrued misconceptions.

Also, CAnnon cannot be tried in a court with a fringed flag nor do legal documents written in all-caps actually refer to him.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2008, 02:48:34 PM »
I just start in with the phonetic alphabet.  The response pegs the person on the other end somewhere between "smart" and "sheltered" (euphemism of the day).

Heh. I'm used to it from flying anyway, so I naturally fall back on using it for my collateral duty IT stuff and always go phonetic when giving usernames / passwords over the phone. I know they're not getting it when they stop me in the middle to ask, "wait, is that Foxtrot t-r-o-t, or t-r-a-u-t?" And when they've been repeating the previous phonetics back to me really s-l-o-w-l-y, I know that they've already typed in charliedeltaechofoxtr before asking me the question.  laugh

Heh!

I was on a call with some support service company or other one time to get a field engineer sent out.

Sweet girl on the other end, but...

Sweet Girl: "Okay, are you ready for an accession number?"
Me: "Yes."
Sweet Girl:<stumbling speech in fits and starts>: "Okay that will be....uhhh, O, zero... no...O... as in...one,....... uhhh.... Oreo,... Charlie,... T,.....like two...."
Me: "Just send it to me in an e-mail."

grin   
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2008, 09:13:26 PM »
*Shrugs* My real name is Andrew Morin. I just like using 'Twycross' because that is what I've always gone by online and it just seems weird when people I've never met call me by my first name.

bunni

• imfdb.org
    • Internet Movie Firearms Database
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2008, 12:42:01 AM »
I use my real name on a lot of forums, no issues.

BridgeWalker

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2008, 10:08:17 AM »
I'm not shy about sharing my name, but I've also found that on gun-related boards, it's handy if the newbs/trolls don't always have "I'M A WOMAN, MESS WITH ME" right in their faces as a sort of open invite.  And nicknames are fun.  And plenty of people have a hard time figuring out how to pronounce "Haliczer".  And if people can't pronounce, they often can't remember it either.  So, I stick with nicknames, but do not in any way hide my identity. 

If I was a guy with a simple to pronounce name, I'd use it.  I'm Sara Haliczer, by the way, of Lansing, MI.