Author Topic: Good cartoon summary of the Barry Bonds record*  (Read 3480 times)

JohnBT

Re: Good cartoon summary of the Barry Bonds record*
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 05:51:05 AM »
"Babe Ruth might have ate Barry Bonds for lunch."

Of course he would have, he wasn't just a little bit better, he was orders of magnitude better than the Hall of Famers he was playing against and the guys were having a career year. And he was hitting a dead ball compared the juiced one Bonds gets to hit.

And the Babe was on his way to the Hall of Fame as a PITCHER when they switched his position to get him in the daily lineup. Lifetime record of 94 and 46 with an ERA of 2.28.

To pick just two years:
1916 - 23 and 12 with a 1.75
1917 - 24 and 13 with a 2.01

client32

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 06:04:51 AM »
Only that Babe Ruth out-homered entire teams. IIRC, one year he out-homered all but ONE team.

Are you saying all teams or all but the team he played for?

I don't follow baseball all that much, so this question might be stupid, but shouldn't a pitcher have an inside track when in the batters box.  That said, I guess I can understand that they don't take time to practice batting at all, so they never get any good at.

When thinking about Babe Ruth, I have wondered if that didn't help him when batting.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 06:17:58 AM »
People have ALWAYS held up to levels of higher esteem those who excel in their fields.
But veneration is reserved for those in the entertainment fields. Idiotic.
D. R. ZINN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 06:31:29 AM »
Babe Ruth played only partly in the dead ball era.

When it becams evident just how big a draw home run hitters could be, Reach and Spaulding, the ball suppliers for MLB, working in concert with MLB, started improving the manufacture and materials in the balls to give them more pep.

Starting in the middle 1920s the number of true home run hitters skyrocketed as did total home runs per team.

I'm trying to track down lists of the leaders (top 5 or 10) in each league during those years.

For example, though, in 1922 Rogers Hornsby hit 42 home runs.

You also have to consider that some of the early major league parks were ENORMOUS, which also helped cut down on the number of home runs. The Polo Grounds, for example, was 505 feet to dead center.

New parks that were built starting after WW I were often designed to emphasize the home run. Yankee Stadium is a perfect example of this. The right field deck was perfectly suited to Ruth's and Gerhig's power.

Here's a chart that shows the rise in home run totals.

That huge spike starting in 1919 is almost all Babe Ruth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:MLB_HR_and_SB_rates.png
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 06:33:08 AM »
People have ALWAYS held up to levels of higher esteem those who excel in their fields.
But veneration is reserved for those in the entertainment fields. Idiotic.

Oh?

Jonas Salk, Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford...

Just a few of the many non-entertainers who were held up to very high esteem in their lifetimes for excelling in their fields.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 06:36:46 AM »
"Very high esteem," sure, but not veneration.
D. R. ZINN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2007, 06:54:45 AM »
Frankly, I disagree with your contention that sports stars/entertainers are "venerated," at least to the quasi-Godlike status that I think you're alluding to.

Yes, some of these people are extremely popular, but at the same time many of them are also routinely targets of really bad press, either through their own making (Brittany Spears, for example) or the gossip/rumor mill.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2007, 07:01:02 AM »
Frankly, you're wrong.

I didn't say or imply that you venerate them, or that I do, but many millions of people do.
D. R. ZINN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2007, 07:28:59 AM »
I know what you are implying, and I still disagree with your assessment.

That someone sells a million records or makes a couple of hit movies and becomes popular with the general populace doesn't mean that they've risen to, as I said, a God-like status. It simply means that people like them and the work that they do.

Is that so very bad for people to popularize individuals who entertain us, provide us with visceral pleasure?

Is it so wrong that we WANT to be entertained as a break for daily life?

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2007, 08:10:41 AM »
I, for the record, loathe baseball above all other sports, but I also loathe the others.

We'll alert the media...  smiley
Well, everyone seemed to be talking about liking/disliking sports so I thought I'd chime in. Smiley
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2007, 09:23:37 AM »
Mike,

The evidence that it's veneration and not simply popularity of a performer's talent comes from the fact that people who are performers (whether in sports, music, movies, or what-have-you) are being treated as if they are authorities on subjects outside their realm of skill.

For instance:  Bono from U2.  You can argue over whether he's got amazing musical talent all day long (and if you argued that he was pretty good up until about 1992, and has sucked since then, you'd even be right).  But there's no doubt that he and his band have what it takes to sell records.  But Bono, a singer, was asked by the General Secretary of the UN to end the Lebanon crisis.  Because obviously singing on-stage and managing the geopolitical situation in an unstable region require exactly the same skills.

Almost every actor in Hollywood has loud opinion on politics, and the American public listens.  Not because they have sat down and thought out the issue that the actor is talking about, and they find the actor's argument to be cogent, but because they saw Tomb Raider, and they think that anyone with t-shirt padding like Angelina Jolie probably has all of the answers...

When artists, actors, musicians, and sports figures are admired for their art, acting, music, and athletic ability, that's appreciation.  When they are assumed to be authorities on subjects outside their skill set, simply because of their fame, that's veneration.

Would anyone honestly care about what Bono things of the Lebanon crisis, if he weren't front man for a multi-million-album band?  If he were a paper-hat-wearing burger jockey from Des Moines, would Kofi have asked him to fix the middle east?

Closer to current events:  Would there be such nationwide shock and outrage over Michael Vick's alleged dog-fighting ring, if people didn't get so wrapped up in sports figures that they expect them to be better than everyone else? 

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2007, 09:28:50 AM »
Oh come now.

That's no different today than it was in years past, either.

Thomas Edison and Henry Ford were commentators on social issues of the day fairly regularly. And people listened them.

People listened to Father Caughlin pretty ardently, too, when he'd discuss politics.

And that certainly isn't veneration.

Yes, there are people who listen to what these people have to say.

But there are also people who categorically reject what they have to say at the same time.

There are a lot of people who "listen to voices beamed into their heads by the CIA," too. Does that mean that they venerate the CIA?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2007, 04:13:04 PM »
No, bono and U2 have always sucked...

So has Springsteen, for that matter.  cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2007, 04:16:10 PM »

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2007, 04:50:09 PM »

What are bono and U2?  undecided
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2007, 07:10:05 PM »

What are bono and U2?  undecided

Bono

U2
Andy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2007, 07:56:54 PM »
U2 is a spy plane, and I think bono is Portugese for good.