Author Topic: At 10:05 p.m...  (Read 3733 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: At 10:05 p.m...
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 11:44:41 AM »
"I suspect they also like a certain herb which is oftentimes set on fire and inhaled, too...."

Yeah, oregano can REALLY screw with your mind...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 12:03:30 PM »
Don't forget that the cartoons are generally crap now, too. When did it become in vogue to make the characters as hideously ugly and obnoxious as possible?

Around the time Hanna Barberra added Scrappy Doo to what had previously been a PERFECT cartoon.
That's what I'm talkin' about!  cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 12:08:45 PM »
SpongeBob is funny, there's some good ideas running around in there, I like the background music too, but I'm a little worn out on him. sad

Don't tell him, he'll start to cry and we all know what THAT means...  shocked 

cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 12:41:25 PM »
Heat would be news if it were unexpected.  Or if it were happening somewhere else.  But when it's Virginia or Saint Louis in August, and it's 100 degrees with 87% humidity - that's not local news.  Who didn't see it coming?  Who doesn't expect it?  Put it in the weather report, sure.  But no.  They have to give us the interviews with highway workers.  Who would have thought highway workers get hot out there?  (Or whatever outdoor occupation they choose that day.)  And the guy always says "You just have to take a lot of water breaks."  Wow.  Enlightening.  In the evening, they want to tell me how hot it was today.  As if I didn't know.  It's not news.  It's not real journalism.  It's just filler. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 08:00:18 PM »
"I suspect they also like a certain herb which is oftentimes set on fire and inhaled, too...."

Yeah, oregano can REALLY screw with your mind...

Dammit Mike, I'm gonna sue you for nostril repairs, as I just blew half a Big Slam out my snout over the above......

(ok, kidding 'bout suing, but not about the sinus cleansing... dammit, that smarts)
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007, 04:14:42 AM »
Dear god, speak it, because it is *TRUTH!*

I recently caught a anime called "Bleach."

It should have been called "Blech"

Retarded Dragon BallZ retread BS.... am I getting old or did cartoons really get that stupid?

Watch Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, the series, especially season 2. It's a dead-on serious ensemble cop drama cyberpunk series. Also, the guns are really well done. All real guns, too. In the first episode of the first season, one of the first things that happens is a main character doing a perfect doubletap with a CZ-100. People also have (older, since it's the future) IMI Jerichos, Vektors, a Mateba, H&K rifles, and some really neat new designs of bullpup SMGs.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2007, 04:17:48 AM »
"Heat would be news if it were unexpected."

So... Snow, rain, wind, etc., would all be news ONLY if they were "unexpected."

Bull.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 11:04:11 AM »
Worse today; Manassas temp 102, heat index 112 at 1600. Ach! No welding tonight.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2007, 11:06:40 AM »
NWS says Fairfax temp is 100 right now.

The Irwinometer temp is looking to be 101 but I could be picking up some residual heat from the patio or siding even though the sun sidled around the other side of the house a couple of hours ago.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2007, 12:19:18 PM »
"Heat would be news if it were unexpected."

So... Snow, rain, wind, etc., would all be news ONLY if they were "unexpected."

Bull.

Bull yourself.  They would be "news" in the sense of something to put on the weather report.  They would only be real, headline news if the rain, snow, wind or heat were something out of the ordinary.  If hurricanes like Katrina happened several times every season, we would never have heard of Katrina. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2007, 12:22:34 PM »
"If hurricanes like Katrina happened several times every season, we would never have heard of Katrina."

There you go.

It DOESN'T get this hot in DC metro several times a year.

It gets hot and humid here, but not like it is today.

Tell you what, when you're weather reporter czar, you can determine (censor?) what the world needs to know about the weather. The Soviets used to do that. Weather conditions across the nation were state secrets.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2007, 12:27:10 PM »
Crap.  What's with everybody calling each other Commies, lately? 

It DOESN'T get this hot in DC metro several times a year.

Oh, OK.  I'm talking about something different, then.  The media around here blabs about normal conditions as if they were news.  But, yeah, an unusually hot day would be news.  Like I said. 

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2007, 03:36:06 PM »
As for the heat, I was going to say something along the lines of "welcome to my world". at least for most here it'll change in a few weeks. I'll have to wait for mid-October at the earliest. The news goes nuts on the heat story around here too, even though it's not like it hasn't happened before.

On the cartoon subject, most are crap and always have been. However, Spongebob is good, Foster's is even better, along with Fairly Oddparents and Jimmy Neutron. While probably not quite up there with Rocko's Modern Life in the in the adult-subtext category, they're in the ballpark. Duck Dodgers is also a riot in spoofing Trek in general, and Wrath of Khan in particular, at every opportunity.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2007, 03:37:07 PM »
I have to agree with fistful here.  It ain't news that it gets really hot in the summer.  Leastaways it shouldn't be. 

I find it vaguely discomforting that the media now has to report such obvious realities as though we didn't already know them.

Paddy

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2007, 03:43:42 PM »
That's right.  It's only 'news' if the government's doing it.  Everything else is irrelevant.  rolleyes

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2007, 03:50:26 PM »
That's right.  It's only 'news' if the government's doing it.  Everything else is irrelevant.  rolleyes
Huh?

It's news whenever it's noteworthy or unique.  Hot weather in August isn't.  Perhaps it warrants a passing mention in the weather reports, but not much else.

JohnBT

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2007, 04:01:03 PM »
"The Carolinas are cooking today, but this it's especially true in Albemarle, NC. They reported 109 this afternoon! If this is an accurate reading, its only 1 short of the all-time record high for the state." - some tv stations site

Thank goodness it only hit 104 in Richmond and the humidity was in the 30s. That broke the record temp for the day, but not the month - that's 107. Average is only 87 this time of year. I turned my ac on yesterday.

John

Paddy

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2007, 04:12:19 PM »
It's news whenever it's noteworthy or unique. 
I fully understand.  The subtle nuances of Hillary v. Obama or the overdramatized hype of a collapsed bridge affects every one of us.  Temperatures 15+ degrees above normal that cause heatstroke and death are completely irrelevant.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
Around here it's been 10 degrees above normal, maybe.  Still 10+ below the record.  It's hot, but it's nothing spectacular.

I've checked a few records for other major US cities (DC, Atlanta, LA, Saint Louis).  Most are above average but none are breaking records.

Perhaps "it's hot in the summertime" isn't the only obvious reality the media needs to report.  Perhaps they need to remind everyone that weather varies from day to day, year to year.  Some years are <gasp!> above average.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2007, 05:49:46 PM »
It officially broke records at all three official measuring stations today -- Baltimore-Washington, Dulles, and Reagan National airports.

The thermometer that I put on my back patio registered 103 at one point, but I'm not sure I totally trust it.

Paddy

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2007, 05:52:04 PM »
I understand, HTG.  Three deaths and record power use don't come close to Giuliani's refusal to discuss his faith.  That's the real news after all.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20160872/

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2007, 06:59:44 PM »
If people die of heatstroke, that might be news.  But then, does the media report every death?  To say that hot weather isn't news doesn't mean it's not important, it just means that there's no point in breathless reporting something that is already known or is to be expected.  Well, no point except that hype sells. 

It may pain you to know that Rush Limbaugh has noted the same trend in media.  You're parroting Rush!  I mock you.   smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2007, 07:02:59 PM »
I helped treat a guy for full-blown heat stroke when I was a student trainer in college.

JohnBT

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2007, 02:51:01 AM »
It was 93* at 11 p.m. last night at the airport east of town. It was hotter at my house downtown. News or not, that's just nuts.

No, I take it back, nuts is getting up at 6 a.m. and it's already 84* with 85% humidity.

The Saturday night forecast is for lows in the upper 60s.  Smiley

John

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2007, 08:23:02 AM »
The Saturday night forecast is for lows in the upper 60s

Stop trying to cheer me up  grin

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.