Author Topic: Wrist Watch  (Read 5120 times)

client32

• friend
Wrist Watch
« on: August 08, 2007, 04:30:06 AM »
My watch has fogged up after wearing it while in the rain in CO.
It is a cheap watch so I'm not all that dissapointed.  I am now thinking of getting a new watch though.

I like watches.  I don't know why, but I would probably have a collection if I had that kind of income.  I have never owned an expensive watch.  I like looking at them, and wouldn't mind owning one.  I just can't pony up the money for one.  It really hurts when some of these have a price tag higher than the pickup I bought (granted it is a beater and I think I got a good deal on it).

I am also hard on watches.  There are scraps and scratches all over this thing.  Reading the dial was starting to get bad even without the fogging.

Now to the question, what are some good quality decent price watches?  I have started looking around and have found some, but I know there is a brand or a good watch that I am missing.  So let me know.

The only other thing I can think of is that I don't want a digital watch.

Thanks.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Wrist Watch
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 04:37:19 AM »
Timex
it takes a licking and keeps on ticking
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 04:40:18 AM »
If your watch fogs, stick it in a baggie of white rice overnight. Does a great job of drying out the internals.

As for watches in general, I normally don't wear them, but I have a couple. My last watch came from Kohls. Got a good price on it on sale and with some coupons. It keeps excellent time (well, I need a new battery right now), and has stood up to the trauma that I can inflict on a watch.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

client32

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 04:52:18 AM »
Mike, thanks for the tip.

I don't know how many people I have told to do that with electronics when they get wet.  Never even crossed my mind for a watch.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 04:53:23 AM »
I used to shoot with a guy who is a watch and jewelry dealer, and this was his take: the movements for all but the highest-priced watches are made by 2 Japanese companies, and they're all basically the same, and they all keep good time. The high-priced manufacturers (Rolex) make their own movements, and they're like Ferraris - constantly needing a tuneup. If you want a rugged piece to keep time, get a $30 Timex. If you want something that looks nice and keeps good time, get a $250 Seiko.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 04:54:49 AM »
I just look at my cellphone for the time.  smiley

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 05:28:14 AM »
I've got a Timex with large numbers that I bought for under $20 about 15 years ago.

Been through a few bands and batteries, though Wink

I hate wearing a watch on my wrist, especially in summer.  It gets knocked around too much that way too.  I just wear it on my belt.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 05:42:16 AM »
I like Seiko automatics.  I currently have the model referred to as the "Orange Monster".  Google it and you'll find plenty of pics.  If I were to buy another watch, I'd probably get a Seiko Automatic Military model.  Similar action but more subdued in design.

My current Seiko runs a bit fast (after several attempts to adjust it).  It picks up 5 minutes in about 2 months.  I just reset the time to a couple minutes slow every 3 months.  When it gets ahead noticeably, I reset it again.  Getting an automatic to maintain perfect time is nearly impossible since the "speed" of the watch is dictated by how tight the spring is wound, which is dicated by a person's movements.  I'd rather have it run fast than slow.

FWIW, my watch doesn't seem to be affected by shooting.  Even with my heavy 44mag loads, it has never shown any affect from the recoil.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 09:37:50 AM »
My Seiko gains about 10 seconds every three or four months.  I bought it on closeout for roughly a third of the regular asking price (the only change between mine and the next model was a slight difference in the band pattern).  I wouldn't wear it for heavy work, though. Even though it's proven pretty tough I'm sure a couple of days in the boonies would see it with irreprable damage.

If I needed something extra heavy duty I'd probably go for the Casio G-Shock.  It seems to be a proven commodity.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Warhorse

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 10:36:03 AM »
In the past, I was very hard on watches until I discovered the Casio "Illuminator" for a little over $20. It is supposed to be waterproof to 50 meters. I have gone down to over 20 feet underwater while wearing it with zero problem.

I virtually never take it off no matter what I am doing. In over 10 years, I have gone through two of them and then only because the band broke and it went overboard. (I'm a sailor.) Both of the ones I own(ed) maintained time well, only losing about 5 seconds a month. However, the band is the weak point as they are plastic and do tend to become a little brittle after 5 years or so and have to be replaced. The crystal face has taken a lot of abuse and has been remarkably resistant to scratching. I would love to know what it is made from.

For the cost, I have been completely happy with it (them).  grin

Take this for whatever it may be worth.
Warhorse

Duty, Honor, Country is NOT out of style!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 10:42:55 AM »
I have scads of watches, ranging from the Orange Monster to a $ 10 Timex.  For hard duty, I am wearing one of my Casio watches.  I am especially fond of the Atomic Solar Watches since they need no maintenance whatsoever.  For a tough, inexpensive analog watch, I am partial to the various Wenger Swiss Army watches I get on clearance at Campmor. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 11:59:29 AM »
I have 2 Seiko Automatics that are over 20 yrs old (closer to 30 now that I think about it)...one gold, one silver.  Both are still running strong, never a problem.

For everyday wear, especially where they might get rough treatment I like the Casio's, too.  If a Casio gets trashed, you just go to KMart and get another one for $20 or so.

Known from coast to coast, almost!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 01:46:32 PM »
This is my current watch, and I really like it...  I'm rough on watches.  I swing my arms into doors, walls, posts, etc.  This is by far the longest I have had a watch...

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/MTG900DA-8V/

If you keep your eyes open, you can find them on sale for ~$70
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 03:04:08 PM »
I like watches, and have more than I should.  This is my newest one, an Omega Seamaster. 

crt360

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 03:31:14 PM »
Mannlicher, that's a nice Seamaster.  I've always wanted an Omega - maybe because my grandpa had one.

I've been wearing a Seiko Kinetic for about eight years now.  The kinetic part seems to crap out about every four years.  The last time it did, they fixed it free.  It's going bad again.  Basically as long as I keep the watch on and stay active, it will run.  It'll stop a few hours after I take it off instead of running a week or more like it's suppose to.
For entertainment purposes only.

Paddy

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 03:36:28 PM »
$15 Casio from K-Mart every 3-4 years.  Date, time, illuminated. It's got it all, 'cause I got nothin' to prove.  laugh

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 04:06:23 PM »
Another fan of the "Swiss Army" watches. Mine's going on 8 years with nothing but battery changes. Big 5 sporting goods always has these at a hefty discount (close-out models).

Someone on another forum got me interested in the Orange Monster, but I've noticed a sudden price jump in the past month.
For that kind of money, I'm looking at the Luminox brand. They're not all Navy SEAL marked; some are quite nice looking.

client32

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 04:56:44 PM »
Mannlicher,

I get stuck looking at Omega's quite a bit.  If I only had the cash to splurge on something like that.

I'm looking at some of the Seiko 5 military and g-shock at the moment.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 04:24:32 AM »
If your watch fogs, stick it in a baggie of white rice overnight. Does a great job of drying out the internals.

That answers the question on what to put in the gun safe.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 08:20:15 AM »
I have an old Omega I inherited from my father. I never wear it. Also have an old Enicar stopwatch somewhere . . .

My "good" watch is a Seiko Quartz Chronograph Titanium Sports 100 - I got it  over 20 years ago when Target was liquidating a special purchase of Seiko watches for $99 each . . . list for this model at the time was $595. It's never off by more than 5 seconds or so (according to WWV) when I check it, which is usually just to reset it when we go on or off DST. This time error is not a big deal anywhere, and is barely noticeable on an analog watch.

Right now I'm wearing a Timex digital that cost me 98 cents . . . I had a $25 gift card from an online merchant because I'd bought a riflescope, and with shipping the watch came to $25.98. But I've got a metallic band, since the plastic Timex straps just don't hold up. It gains about 10 seconds a month.

Also have a Casio G-Shock. Poor band quality like the Timex, but it gains about a minute a month.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 08:46:21 AM »

That answers the question on what to put in the gun safe.

Not really. Rice has pretty limited absorption capabilities. Silica gel is much better.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 09:31:26 AM »
I have resurrected several pieces of drowned personal electronics (cell phones, PDAs, IPods and handheld games) by putting them into my forced-air food dehydrator for 12-24 hours.  For a while, I think my kids were dropping things into mud puddles and the like on purpose.

The dehydrator temperatures are low enough to avoid heat damage and the combination of the gentle heat and forced air really does the trick in drying out the circuitry, nooks and crannies.  I always remove the batteries first and leave the battery doors/hatches open or removed to allow the air to flow in there as well.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

armchair warrior

• friends
  • QuickDraw on THR
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 12:25:40 PM »
My BIL gave me a Timex Expedition for Christmas about 5 or 6 years ago.
I love it!Cheap(around 25.00 at the time),BIG numbers.
I'm on the second battery.
Oh,get a velcro type watchband.I use mine at work(construction)
and this thing is indestructible!

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 03:01:02 PM »
I like watches a lot. I give them as gifts to neices and nephews for special occasions. For some reason, a lot of these young kids (12-18 and up) don't have watches. I've always worn a watch; it feels weird if I don't. I have a nice stainless Seiko I got 30 years ago. I have a cheaper stainless Armitron analog/digital that I like. I have cheap plastic watches that work well. If you're going to damage watches, find something for under $50. I like the Timex and Casio models. Find something waterproof and you're set. My $30 Timex Ironman Triathalon has lasted for decades, and I've spent more on replacing plastic watchbands than I did on the watch. I know you aren't looking for digital models, but their features come in handy.

I just got one of these the other day.

http://www.ewatches.com/Kenneth-Cole/KC1239.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Kenneth-Cole-KC1239

It's large, but it's a nice stainless steel watch with a mineral crystal. I haven't had a leather band in decades, but this one is nice and sturdy. Also, it's made in Japan.

I got this by redeming "Player points" at a horse racing wager site. They had a lot of gifts, but I wasn't interested in a lot of them. It was this watch or a telescope for my points. I took the watch. And yes, I lost more than the watch is worth playing the ponies.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 05:56:26 PM »
If I needed something extra heavy duty I'd probably go for the Casio G-Shock.  It seems to be a proven commodity.

I had one of the Atomic/Solar G-shocks. Got screwed up somehow. I decided that it wasn't that great.

I now have a Timex Ironman digital watch. Good watch so far, and the buttons are easier to press than the ones on the G-shock. Plus it is a lot cheaper.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!