Author Topic: Wrist Watch  (Read 5117 times)

Big_R

• friend
Re: Wrist Watch
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 05:11:12 PM »
I was given a Citizen Eco-Drive by an employer.  It's my favorite watch, albeit a little heavy.  The run around $150.00 and seem to be pretty bulletproof.  I've worn mine to work for about the last 4 years and it's still in incredible shape. 

Ryan

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 06:22:50 AM »
http://www.backcountry.com/store/FST0014/Freestyle-USA-Hammerhead-Sport-Watch.html?CMP_ID=SH_BZR001&CMP_SKU=FST0014&mv_pc=r111&CP=BizRate&CMP=SPC-BizRate&ATT=FST0014&GCID=C2000x023&keyword=FST0014+hammerhead+sport+watch+

A bit heavy but very large, easy-to-read face. I have had mine for 5 years, not one single problem. Built like a tank. $100 and worth every penny.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 09:53:09 AM »
I work in the oilfield, drilling fluids engineer, and I am really rough on watches.  They get hit, scratched, submerged in mud or water.  I was buying el cheapo's every 2 months.  For a work watch I have a Luminox, worth every penny.  Strong, durable, water proof, damn near (for me) bullet proof.  Now for a dress watch, I prefer Swiss Army (Wenger) or Seiko.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2007, 09:58:22 AM »
I am leaving today for a week's vacation in Wyoming.  On my wrist will be my Casio atomic solar Pathfinder (compass, altimeter, barometer and thermometer).  This is my favorite watch when I am out in the backcountry. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2007, 12:03:45 PM »
I am leaving today for a week's vacation in Wyoming.  On my wrist will be my Casio atomic solar Pathfinder (compass, altimeter, barometer and thermometer).  This is my favorite watch when I am out in the backcountry. 

How accurate are the extra widgets on there? I've always been curious about thermometers and such on watches; I'd think your body temp and such would interfere.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2007, 12:09:35 PM »
If I had the spare cash - and didn't have a habit of scratching or losing any kind of jewelry, watches, etc. - I'd buy a Victorinox 'New Infantry'.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2007, 01:23:33 PM »
How accurate are the extra widgets on there? I've always been curious about thermometers and such on watches; I'd think your body temp and such would interfere.

The compass and barometer seem to be pretty accurate; I have compared them with stand-alone instruments.  The altimeter varies, and at higher altitudes (5000 feet plus) seems to read about 100 feet low.  I have always wondered if it is affected by barometric pressure.  To get the best accuracy from the thermometer, the manual recommends that you take it off and let it sit someplace for 30 minutes; otherwise, it is thrown off by body heat.  As an example, I am sitting right now in a room in which the stand-alone digital thermometer indicates 71.6 degrees.  The watch thermometer is giving a reading of 87.6 degrees.  Yet when I take the watch off, I can see the thermometer reading start to drop. 

It is a fun toy, and I admit I got it primarily for the compass and altimeter features as a backup to the GPS, topo map and compass that I routinely use.  I had been waiting for Casio to come out with an Atomic Solar pathfinder, and when they did, I snatched one up.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2007, 08:28:13 PM »
Is there anybody still making a watch that you actually wind up?  I'm looking for something rugged for traveling that doesn't need batteries... and (of course), the less it costs the better.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 02:47:43 AM »
Is there anybody still making a watch that you actually wind up?  I'm looking for something rugged for traveling that doesn't need batteries... and (of course), the less it costs the better.

I know there are plenty of Russian watches that can be had in a wind up model, but I don't know about any Japanese, American, or Swiss.  The Russian watches tend to be inexpensive and have an old school look to them.

Chris

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2007, 12:58:47 AM »
One really cool one that I'm this |______| close to ordering is an Orion Skeleton.  What other manufacturers are out there, where're are good places to buy from, etc?

"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Fudgieghost

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2007, 11:54:01 AM »
Ok, I have watch lust.

Here are a few sites for some good inexpensive watches:

www.bluedial.com   check their "specials" page

www.campmor.com  very good prices on Timex pieces

www.russarmy.com  some very cool Russian watches, and most of them are not expensive.  Not sure what happens when you give your Visa # to Russians though. . . undecided

My wife bought me (at my request!) a Casio "WaveCeptor" Atomic Clock set, solar powered watch.  It is nice and, as noted needs no adjustment, even for Daylight Savings/Standard time. . cool thing is, when I don't wear it for a couple of days, it turns itself off.  When I pull it our of storage, it's sets itself. . .

I also have a Timex Expedition "easy reader" watch---extra large numerals.  Nice watch with Indiglo---for $20.00---can't beat that for a dollar!

client32

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2007, 11:58:28 AM »
I was looking at Omegas website the other day and saw the skeleton watches.  Very cool.  There a couple Museum watches I liked as well.

I'll have to remember the term "watch lust," that might come in handy.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2007, 11:55:13 PM »

http://www.russarmy.com/product.cfm/hurl/product_id=320

$200.  I was expecting at least $700...

Damn, that's a nice watch. *drool*  Deserves a minty M1891 and a nickeled .44 Russian Schofield to go with it.  smiley
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams