Author Topic: I remember when...  (Read 10745 times)

Hutch

• friend
Re: I remember when...
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2007, 07:07:36 AM »
I remember the first convenience store in my home town.  Open on Sunday, and sold a frozen slushy-type drink. A first for both.

I remember when gas stations sold and pumped gas, but didn't sell water.  Actually, NOBODY sold water.  It was possible that the gas station might have a Coke machine (regardless of what it dispensed, they were all Cokes, as in, "What sorta Coke do you want?  7-up?")  The gas station might also have a Tom's vending machine for candy bars and/or peanuts.

I remember betting nickels on whose Coke bottle had come from the furthest bottling plant (Cast into the class bottom)

I remember when people used to cut their own grass, when vans were used by painters and tradesmen, and everyone owned a 4-door American made sedan.  That was clapped out after 80kmiles.

There were no video rental stores or nail salons.  I used to save change to buy a box of Federal Hi-Power .22 LR for $.57 at K-mart.  Guns were sold in hardware stores, and the American Rifleman had two-page ads for mail order guns, one in the middle of the issue, and one on the inside back page.  I neighborhood kid had an HTG M3 grease gun we played Army with.  Nobody wanted it  because it was sooooo much heavier than the Mattel Tommy-burst.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Claude Clay

« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2007, 07:35:52 AM »
I really did survive the '60 & I ............what was the question again?
would that i could type clearly and completely such that all the everything is clearly covered with no ambiguities. sadly, my 4th wish was denied.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2007, 06:47:10 PM »
Hutch, I was in some Texas backwater a few years ago, where they referred to anything carbonated as "soda water."  People still call it "Coke" in some places, though.   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2007, 01:43:23 AM »
Daisy Duke was hot... cheesy

Guns in truck's gunracks in highschool parking lots got no attention whatsoever.
 police

Kids weren't smartasses because they'd get their pants dropped in public and spanked right in front of Santa Claus at the mall.  And no one thought twice.  Man that hurt, seriously, i got paddled good, I was about 4 y/o.

Bend, Oregon had one stoplight.

Oh yeah, and cars and trucks had bumpers made out of steel!

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

griz

• friend
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2007, 09:20:05 AM »
I remeber when there was no bottled water.  And bottled anything meant a glass bottle.

Besides bumpers made of steel, they had notches in it for the bumper jack to fit in.

That's all I remeber since I got old. laugh
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2007, 10:35:39 AM »
Oh my god...

Bumper jacks...

Wow.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »
Bumper jacks always scared me, I was always worried that the car would roll forward off the jack.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2007, 11:11:48 AM »
I remeber when there was no bottled water.  And bottled anything meant a glass bottle.

Besides bumpers made of steel, they had notches in it for the bumper jack to fit in.

That's all I remember since I got old. laugh

I remember them well before they put the notches in them.

Bumper jacks always scared me, I was always worried that the car would roll forward off the jack.

As they often did.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Len Budney

« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2007, 02:52:19 AM »

Yep. We had cars that used bumper jacks, but my Dad refused to use them. I remember waiting beside the road for ages with a flat tire, and when help came, they were irritated with us: we had a spare tire, a lug wrench and a bumper jack right there in the trunk.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2007, 03:36:39 AM »
I last used a bumper jack about 3 years ago, when my mother's '85 Crown Vic got a flat . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2007, 03:43:07 AM »
I never had a car roll off the bumper jack backwards, but I did have a bumper jack fail and drop the car I was jacking up. Sheared something off internally. I didn't even bother trying to fix it -- Dad and I went to K Mart and I got a hydraulic bottle jack.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2007, 06:53:51 AM »
You need a real bumper jack - a "Hi-Lift"  grin

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2007, 06:56:10 AM »

A high lift will lift a tractor, a bumperjack would just collapse

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2007, 08:14:48 AM »

Be sure and get a can of WD-40 and a hammer to go along with it.

*spritz*
tap-tap-tap
'click'

*spritz*
tap-tap-tap
'click'

*spritz*
tap-tap-tap
'click'

grin

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2007, 08:46:38 AM »
Brad, that's only 'cause my jack sits out in the rain and snow and dust in the back of my pickup  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin