Author Topic: We Rarely Hear "The Rest of the Story"...  (Read 701 times)

m1911owner

• friend
We Rarely Hear "The Rest of the Story"...
« on: August 10, 2007, 09:43:29 AM »
I just saw this story:

MISSOURI CITY, Texas   A Missouri City, Texas, man has filed a federal lawsuit against 1-800-FLOWERS, Inc. after they sent his wife a thank-you card for flowers he ordered for another woman.

MyFOXHouston.com reported Leroy Greer ordered a dozen red roses and teddy bear through 1-800-flowers.com for a woman while he was in the middle of divorcing his wife. However, at the time the flowers were sent, Greer and his wife were reconciled.

After Greer ordered the flowers in April, 1-800-flowers reportedly sent a thank-you card to his home, which his wife saw. She then called the company, and they faxed her a copy of the receipt, the note he sent with the flowers that read "just wanted to say that 'I Love you'" and a report of what he actually purchased.

His wife re-filed divorce papers and is asking him for a $400,000 divorce lump sum and $6,000 per month in child and spousal support. He is seeking more than $1 million in damages from the flower company.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292891,00.html

I'm really curious how the courts eventually come down on this one, but I figure there's about a 0.0001% chance that the new media will actually bother to track the story and give us the rest of it two years from now, or whatever it ends up being.  (Or perhaps it just gets settled out of court.)

I can see that the guy was indeed damaged by the actions of the flower company.  On the other hand, it was his own damned actions that were the real problem--the flower company was only incidental in that they, with no malice or expectation that they could cause a problem, happened to uncover his sins.

By the way, what ever happened with the guys who turned in the Pepsi Points for the Harrier jet?  That's another story that I never saw a follow-up for.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Re: We Rarely Hear "The Rest of the Story"...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 09:48:52 AM »
By the way, what ever happened with the guys who turned in the Pepsi Points for the Harrier jet?  That's another story that I never saw a follow-up for.

http://www.snopes.com/business/deals/pepsijet.asp

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 10:04:31 AM »
Thanks for the pointer, BrokenPaw!  I kind of figured that's how it had to come down, because I was pretty sure the Harrier wasn't available, even if Pepsi said, "OK, we'll write the check."

Interestingly, you apparently can (or could as of 10 years ago, anyway) legally obtain Eastern-block MiGs; you just can't have U.S. military jets.  rolleyes

Len Budney

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 11:32:58 AM »
On the other hand, Burma Shave did make good their offer of a trip to Mars.

In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

The Viking

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 11:47:21 AM »
On the other hand, Burma Shave did make good their offer of a trip to Mars.

I remember reading about that. Struck me as hilarious grin