Author Topic: Is this grammatically correct?  (Read 1666 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Is this grammatically correct?
« on: August 15, 2007, 12:30:44 PM »
There's been radio ads running for quite some time by a company that's been lobbying the state legislature to allow more than one cable company to operate in Wisconsin.

In the ads, the narrator says, "Wisconsin should have a real choice to cable."

Is that sentence correct grammatically? I realize that they probably can't name Time Warner for some legal reasons, so they can't say "Wisconsin should have a real alternative to Time Warner." But the way it's being said right now sounds clunky.

zahc

• friend
Re: Is this grammatically correct?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 12:32:48 PM »
There is no such thing as 'grammatically correct'. Especially not in english.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
It's correct only if they are using cable as a verb.  But why anyone would choose to cable instead of calling or e-mailing is beyond me...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 12:34:36 PM »
The question reminds me of something zahc posted once: "English got where it is today by following other languages down dark alleys, hitting them over the head and going through their pockets for loose grammar."

I saved it because for some reason I found it funny.
Andy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 12:57:24 PM »
No, it's not correct.

While I'm not sure of the context of the sentence, my initial rewrite would be "Wisconsin residents (or Wisconsinites) should have real cable choices"

"There is no such thing as 'grammatically correct'. Especially not in english."

Grammatically correct, but functionally wrong.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 01:01:50 PM »
There is definitely correct and incorrect grammar in English.
This is grmmatically correct.  The usage is a problem.
The way it is written it sounds like "cable" is a verb (which it can be) and that Wisconsoners (whatever the adj is) are being denied their choice to cable or not to cable.
Better would have been:
Wisconsin should have a real alternative to cable.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 01:34:18 PM »
to cable or not to cable, that is the question  laugh

Wouldn't
"Wisconsin should have a real choice of cable TV providers."
be a clear alternative?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 01:46:56 PM »
Thanks for the laugh, Cosine. I'll have to remember that.

The sentence from the ad just struck me as weird. What's even weirder is that the company paid a professional copywriter to write that sentence.

Tallpine, I suspect that adding words would mean adding time, which means going over the 30 second limit on the ad, which means going over budget.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 02:07:05 PM »
Is that grammatical problem a peculiarity mostly confined to Asian ESL (ETL) speakers?  I recall one particular line from Replacement Killers: "I want forged documents... to China."  I'm sure I've heard it elsewhere, although I can't document it.

"To" meaning "for."
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 03:49:17 PM »
I've gotta figure out how to use the "quote" thingy! The problem is maybe the "professional copywriters" weren't Anglos!! Hell, half the Anglos can't speak English!

Bob

PS: There's precious little on TV anyway!
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 05:28:29 PM »
The biggest problem for the sentence, at least in a grammar stand point, is that it's giving the impression that an inanimate object, Wisconsin, is capable of making an informed, intelligent, decision. Wisconsin is a place, it's not a living being. Wisconsinites are people, living in Wisconsin. As such, they CAN make a choice.

That's grammar error number one.

Error number two is "to cable." That's an oppositional statement, contrasting one against the other. But Monkey says that the campaign is to allow other cable providers in the state, so there's no opposition (cable vs. FIOS, cable vs. satellite, etc.).

Rabbi,

Your reconstruct would be correct if it were a campaign to allow other non-cable TV providers into the state, but the campaign isn't asking for an alternative to cable, it's asking for more cable choice.

Tyme,

""I want forged documents... to China."

Well, there's another way of reading that... He could be requesting forged documents (travel statements, tickets, visa, passport, etc.) that would allow him to travel to China.

Somewhat sloppy and quite colloquial (sp?), but I think that most people would understand the context just fine.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 05:38:44 PM »
The biggest problem for the sentence, at least in a grammar stand point, is that it's giving the impression that an inanimate object, Wisconsin, is capable of making an informed, intelligent, decision. Wisconsin is a place, it's not a living being. Wisconsinites are people, living in Wisconsin.

Mike,

Is it not a long recognized practice in English (and probably other languages) to use a place name as representative of its inhabitants?

Edited for punctuation.   rolleyes
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 05:52:31 PM »
"Is it not a long recognized practice in English (and probably other languages) to use a place name as representative of its inhabitants?"

Maybe in some parts of the country.

But when I hear people around here speaking about the entire populace of the state, it's always Virginians or Pennsylvanias, or Communists.... er... I meant Marylanders...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 06:33:51 PM »
So, you never hear people say, "America needs single-payer healthcare," or "Hicksville needs a mayor with integrity," and so forth? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 07:52:31 PM »
So, you never hear people say, "America needs single-payer healthcare," or "Hicksville needs a mayor with integrity," and so forth? 

I didn't say I didn't hear it. I said what I hear around here, hence my statement about "some parts of the country." It's a colloquialism.

I also contend that it is grammatically incorrect.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 03:22:14 AM »

I didn't say I didn't hear it. I said what I hear around here, hence my statement about "some parts of the country." It's a colloquialism.

I also contend that it is grammatically incorrect.

It isn't a question of grammar at all but usage.  And using the name of the region to stand for its inhabitants is universal.  Thus, Germany declared war on the U.S.  Georgia went for Eisenhower, Russia invaded Afghanistan, etc etc ad nauseam.  And that's pretty universal in any English-speaking country.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 04:15:09 AM »
Well, I can tell you that figuring out the pronouns in another language can be quite daunting.  Just because "to" can be translated to do or gu for instance, doesn't mean that you can always use them in the exact same ways that you use "to."
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Len Budney

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 04:19:53 AM »
There's been radio ads running for quite some time by a company that's been lobbying the state legislature to allow more than one cable company to operate in Wisconsin.

In the ads, the narrator says, "Wisconsin should have a real choice to cable."

Ah, the penny just dropped. They're using "cable" to mean "the cable industry," as in, "The cable industry should have more than one choice to it." That's almost grammatical, but not: for the preposition to work, either "cable" needs to be the subject of the sentence, as in my version, or else the passive voice must be used, as in, "There should be more than one choice to cable." The latter would be confusing but grammatical. In their version, Wisconsin is the subject, and the active voice is used, so it fails to parse.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 05:02:00 AM »
I've gotta figure out how to use the "quote" thingy!
Bob

To use the little "quote" thingy, you just click on the little "quote" thingy. grin
Live dangerously, give it a try! cool
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 06:03:20 AM »

Well, since America became a reality tv program instead of nation able to think and communicate, that may be true.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 06:54:02 PM »

The first period should be inside the quotation marks, not following.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 07:31:15 PM »
Is that sentence correct grammatically?
No.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 07:48:55 PM »
Modifiedbrowning, I think your post was not only the most grammatically correct, but also the most succinct. Wink

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Tippacanoe and Tyler too!
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 04:07:31 AM »
Slogans are not engineered to be grammatically correct,
they are built and focus group tested to be memorable.

The fact that this chestnut has spawned a forum thread,
proves that the meme is highly functional.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"