Author Topic: Giving a pro-gun presentation; need help!  (Read 996 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Giving a pro-gun presentation; need help!
« on: August 24, 2007, 03:10:20 PM »
Ok, so I'm involved with this group at church designed to help train young guys in practical skills. Everything from rock climbing and salmon fishing to how to buy your first house and making an investment strategy. We get some pretty cool speakers; CEO's of multi-million dollar corporations, successful mortgage brokers.... and me. shocked

This Saturday I'll be giving a presentation on Guns: myths vs reality. I'm seeing it as an in-depth look at the four rules, buttressed with a variety of useful info (trying on a gun ala pax's website and debunking some myths like people being knocked over by a bullet etc) all delivered in my own unique rambling harangue style. grin

Anyway, one of the things I want to use is that video of the DEA agent shooting himself in the leg. It should serve several useful functions: it'll get their attention, demonstrate the importance of rule 1, show that just because someone is a cop/hunter/gun store employee doesn't mean they're safe or worth listening to etc. However, I want to edit it down and if possible add captions. I need the part from ~second 14-30. Can anyone help me out with this?

Also, I was thinking of throwing out some facts and figures: number of guns vs number of cars and the accident rate, how many foot pounds of energy a car has vs a bullet etc. I know there is a website with a ton of stuff like this, but I'm totally brain farting on what it's called. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys, I know I can count on ya'll.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Giving a pro-gun presentation; need help!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 03:15:01 PM »
That's easy.  Bring your biggest gun.  Explain how scary it is.  "Now agree with me, or else." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 03:23:05 PM »
If I was still in AZ I'd just get my buddy to lend me his .50.... shocked

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 04:40:04 PM »
Here is are some statistics from the US Department of Transportation

According to a preliminary report from the Department of Transportations National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 43,200 died on the nations highways in 2005, up from 42,636 in 2004. Injuries dropped from 2.79 million in 2004 to 2.68 million in 2005, a decline of 4.1 percent. Fifty-five percent of passenger vehicle occupants who died in 2005 were unbelted

43,200 died! 2.68 million injured!!

1999 Statistics (Per 1,000 residents):

DC - 81
Prince George's County MD - 53
Alexandria City VA - 47
Arlington City VA - 33
Montgomery County MD - 31
Prince William Country VA - 29
Loudoun County VA - 24
Fairfax County VA - 24

That was pasted from, http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0800guncon.htm

Cheesy
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 06:46:59 PM »
Ok, so I'm involved with this group at church designed to help train young guys in practical skills. Everything from rock climbing and salmon fishing to how to buy your first house and making an investment strategy. We get some pretty cool speakers; CEO's of multi-million dollar corporations, successful mortgage brokers.... and me. shocked

This Saturday I'll be giving a presentation on Guns: myths vs reality. I'm seeing it as an in-depth look at the four rules, buttressed with a variety of useful info (trying on a gun ala pax's website and debunking some myths like people being knocked over by a bullet etc) all delivered in my own unique rambling harangue style. grin

Anyway, one of the things I want to use is that video of the DEA agent shooting himself in the leg. It should serve several useful functions: it'll get their attention, demonstrate the importance of rule 1, show that just because someone is a cop/hunter/gun store employee doesn't mean they're safe or worth listening to etc. However, I want to edit it down and if possible add captions. I need the part from ~second 14-30. Can anyone help me out with this?

Also, I was thinking of throwing out some facts and figures: number of guns vs number of cars and the accident rate, how many foot pounds of energy a car has vs a bullet etc. I know there is a website with a ton of stuff like this, but I'm totally brain farting on what it's called. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys, I know I can count on ya'll.

Gun Facts (google it) might be a pretty good place to start your outline, as it references many popular myths and debunks them with specific sources.

My main advice:  Focus.  Get it down to 3 or 5 points.

Less is usually more with these things.  Make succinct points, and support your assertions with two specific references each.   Practice at least twice before you actually do it.  Avoid "preaching", mentioning specific political entities, or "worst case scenarios" like a second American Revolution.

Introduction
Myth 1
Supporting Evidence A
Supporting Evidence B
Myth 2
Supporting Evidence A
Supporting Evidence B
Myth 3
Supporting Evidence A
Supporting Evidence B
Summary
Conclusion

Watch your tone, be positive.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 07:25:03 PM »
Euclidean: thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going for the "low key" approach. This will be totally apolitical. I'll only be mentioning the stats in passing, not making an argument about them. Tha main focus here is A) guns aren't mala in se and B) here is how to use them safely.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 08:44:30 AM »
This might help, Balog.

http://www.saf.org/pub/rkba/general/FoundersQuotes.htm

Mainly the "On Individual Gun Ownership" section, but there's a lot of good stuff throughout.

I really like this quote:

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in Chapter 40 of "On Crimes and Punishment", 1764. Chapter. Whole Book.

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot