Author Topic: Miss Teen USA 2007 - South Carolina answers a question  (Read 5316 times)

Euclidean

• friend
Re: Miss Teen USA 2007 - South Carolina answers a question
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 08:57:43 AM »
Now now, let's be fair.

#1.  She was under a lot of stress and probably smart enough to realize referring to endangered animals and/or suffering in third world countries is how you win these things.

#2.  The question itself was bull.  My response would be "I question the veracity of that statement.  It's useless to speculate on it until we have some better evidence this bold claim is true.  In fact, I think we should be questioning how we gather information..." etc.

But that's not really attempting to answer the question, even if it is a valid response.  She couldn't answer the question by challenging it in a beauty contest.

So if you were 17, under a lot of stress, given a bull #### question, and knew all of your answers had to do with something that appeals to bleeding heart liberals, you might make just as little sense.

But yeah, that was hilarious.  Poor Caitlin.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 09:02:39 AM »
So if you were 17, under a lot of stress, given a bull #### question, and knew all of your answers had to do with something that appeals to bleeding heart liberals, you might make just as little sense.

I disagree.  I don't think most people are capable of sounding that stupid, even given the aggravating factors you cite.  Well, maybe 280Plus.  He's not all there. 

Besides, don't ruin our fun.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 12:13:10 PM »
it seemed like she was totally coached to answer a different question
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 02:16:27 PM »
It makes it hard for these pagents to say it is more than about beauty when you have contestants like this.

Beauty pageants seem to be the equivalent of online polls.  You can only pick the best of the people who end up in the ring.  I'm not quite sure whether smart and truly beautiful teens keep themselves out of these sorts of pageants, whether parents of smart children keep them out, or whether the duller girls make up for their illiteracy by back-stabbing the smarter ones very early on.

I particularly liked the question posed to Miss NJ.  (Pick between Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, and Nicole Richie)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMU192Kp02o
I have no idea how I'd answer that.  Paris because she has smart parents and maybe has more upside potential?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 02:24:12 PM »
It was Colorado that got to pick between the Hall of Shame.  That one's a no-brainer.  Lindsey Lohan is no prize pig, but she is at least tolerable on screen, at least in the films I've seen.  Unlike the other two, she's even pretty. 

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 03:17:23 PM »
You aren't perhaps basing your decision on this comparison?

Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 04:55:48 PM »
The look on the MC's face is priceless.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 05:30:14 PM »
Tyme, it won't let me see the PH photo with getting an account. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 07:04:41 PM »
Quote from: fistful on August 26, 2007, 12:02:39 PM
Quote from: illinoisdeerhunter on August 26, 2007, 10:40:16 AM
Evenso, every one of her teachers should be totally ashamed of themselves and that kind of an answer.  Poor child.

I don't think that kind of stupid can be imparted.  She was born with it. 

It just goes to show---NCLB is a joke.

She wasn't left behind, she was lapped.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 08:09:54 PM »
The ability to string together a real sentence, and perhaps even loosely address the question.

Are you ALWAYS so unreasonably demanding? Or is it only when dealing with air-head blonde bimbos?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2007, 08:11:57 PM »
I know, I'm completely unreasonable.  It's a fault.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2007, 08:13:50 PM »
A better answer is that too many schools worry about history of other countries, which isn't a bad thing, but ignore US history and geology.  Which is a bad thing.

They can't teach U.S. History -- the liberals are too busy revising it. By the time a teacher teaches anything, a new textbook will have been published that contradicts the previously "politically correct" historical fairy tale, supplanting it with something even more politically correct ... and fanciful.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2007, 02:06:45 AM »
wmenor, I'm curious why you think US geology is different or more important than the geology of other countries.  Tongue  Long day in the sandbox?   cheesy

illinoisdeerhunter

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2007, 02:22:40 AM »
Geology and Geography are two very different things.  I know to which she was referring: to which are you referring?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2007, 02:27:37 AM »
It would be a pretty tough question to answer intelligently on the spur of the moment other than to say "Because 20 percent of Americans are stupid", or "20 percent of Americans are under the age of six and are still working on thier ABC's and taking naps on rugs in the middle of the day".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2007, 02:42:04 AM »
Yep, long day in the sandbox.  I did mean geography.  Still, go to any other school in the world and I bet they could find the U.S. on a map.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2007, 07:19:36 AM »
She hopes someday to create "special effects" for other people like herself.  America has a bright future.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

client32

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2007, 08:38:36 AM »
The look on the MC's face is priceless.
I have to give him a lot of credit for not laughing or giving her a "are you really that stupid" look.  I couldn't have done it.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2007, 08:56:55 AM »
Perhaps there should be a "Miss Teen Home-schooled America" pageant. The contestants could give decent answers to serious questions. There'd probably be more talent as well.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2007, 10:23:16 AM »
"I would love to re-answer that question," Upton said. "Well personally, my friends and I, we know exactly where the United States is on our map. I don't know anyone else who doesn't. And if the statistics are correct, I believe there should be more emphasis on geography."

When given another chance on one of the morning shows the above was her answer.

Story was on Foxnews.com.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2007, 10:26:33 AM »
A local morning show host today had a great point.
We don't ask spelling bee contestants to be attractive, why are we asking BEAUTY pageant contestants to be smart? 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2007, 10:29:46 AM »
A local morning show host today had a great point.
We don't ask spelling bee contestants to be attractive, why are we asking BEAUTY pageant contestants to be smart? 

Because the pageant organizers would like us to believe that there is more to the pageants than Beauty.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2007, 10:33:56 AM »
But well all know that's BS.  Let's just admit it.

Archie

• friend
  • Galactic Effectuator
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2007, 11:52:38 AM »
I was going to point out the Fox news article about her 're-answer' and her explanation.

She admitted she didn't register more than two words of the question.

She isn't as dumb as she sounded.  Happily.  At seventeen, she was doing good to recognize a question had been asked.  Give her some time; another seventeen years and she'll probably be a real woman.
As long as the citizens of the United States own and keep personal weapons, we can argue about all the other issues that concern us.  The instant we lose the ability to keep weapons, our masters will decide all those other issues for us.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2007, 01:43:54 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Well, maybe 280Plus.  He's not all there.
There I was, just a minding my own business...  rolleyes

cheesy

I liked the way she BS'd her way through a good 20 - 30 seconds as she searched for an answer. That DOES take talent.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!