Author Topic: Are there any skiiers (or snowboarders) in the house?  (Read 1555 times)

nico

• friend
Are there any skiiers (or snowboarders) in the house?
« on: August 29, 2007, 03:55:29 PM »
Yes, I know it's not the right time of year yet, but over the last few days I've gotten really excited about this coming season, so I want to talk/brag about it.  I just got a helluva deal on a pair of Nordica SUV 12.1's (my first skis) and my girlfriend is chipping in $250 as an early Christmas present.  They'll be here next Wednesday (but there won't be snow here until December, and that's if I'm lucky)

I also found out that I'm going to be skiing at Lake Tahoe for spring break.  A school friend's parents have a time-share, so lodging is only going to be ~$200 for the week; less if more people decide to go with us.

Times like this make me feel like a little kid.  I told my roommate to not be alarmed if he sees me sliding down the stairs on my skis making "wooshing" noises laugh

So, what are you guys skiing/riding on this year?  What are your plans?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Are there any skiiers (or snowboarders) in the house?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 03:00:15 PM »
Congrats.  I've always wanted my own skis (downhill skis, that is, I have a nice pair of xc skis).  Never could justify the price.  I've also always wanted to go skiing out west, but I've never had the chance.  Again, too pricey.  Snowshoe, in West Virginia, has been my usual haunt recently.

Snowboarding is unholy.  Tongue

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 03:12:27 PM »
Same old skis I've had since the mid-90s.

I just ski around here, usually I take a .222 or .223 with me in case I see a crow, fox or coyote.  Sometimes I just have a pistol.

Last time I tried snowboarding (maybe 4 years ago) I hit a tree.  Fortunately I was near my house so I just limped home.  Have not tried it since. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 03:26:59 PM »
Do you have bindings? Do you know about "the list"?

nico

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 03:35:43 PM »
The skis come with integrated bindings that I'm going to have installed at a local shop. 

No, I'm not familiar with "the list."  Is it something I should know about?

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
Yes. The ski industry (manufacturers and shops) maintains a list of bindings that are "good". Shops will only work on (tune, adjust, etc.) bindings on "the list". All bindings start out on the list, but drop off after a time. Good quality bindings stay on the list longer - perhaps several years; cheap ones drop off after 1 season. They say it's a liability issue (supposedly, old bindings aren't "as safe"), but it's just as likely a way to keep you buying new bindings every couple of years.

The list is available on line. It's not a secret; you can use it to research which brand & model to buy, but I can't remember offhand where I saw it. There's an association, something like "The American Association of Certified Ski Tuning Professionals" that maintains it. Look through some binding manufacturers' websites. I bought the best I could afford, top-of-the-line Markers, since they looked like they stayed on 5+ years.

Edit: Just because bindings aren't on the list doesn't mean they're no good (I think I conveyed that pretty well); it just means that no shop will mount, tune, adjust or repair them. If you know how to do that yourself, you're fine.

nico

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 04:47:45 PM »
thanks.  I was completely unaware of that, but it makes sense.  My bindings are from 2006 (same as the skis) and are relatively high end Markers, so I should be good for a while.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 06:47:21 PM »
I just got a helluva deal on a pair of Nordica SUV 12.1's (my first skis)...

Freaking two-planker, messing up the runs for honest boarders. Wink

'Though its been a few years since I've been up in the hills in winter. *SIGH*
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

nico

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 07:23:35 PM »
haha, my girlfriend and I have been talking about trying snowboarding for the last year.  But, since both of us are in dental school, we're more than a little paranoid about the possibility of broken wrists and how royally screwed we'd be if that happened. 

Besides, this is only going to be my third season skiing (only 10 days on the slopes so far), so I've got plenty of room for improvement and challenges are easy to find. 

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 01:21:08 AM »
oh yeah, lots of snowboard gear, favorite season.  Son due in december,  I plan on raising him to give all skiers hell.  If they can catch him. laugh

This season is probably going to be a few days in between naps with my boy, if any snow days whatsoever.  Matters not, if he turns out to be a skier, I'll get over it....maybe.

Pertaining the gear reliabilty, ride LX bindings or better are lifers.  You lose screws and loosen the platform many seasons before anything just breaks.  I had 5 years on clickers and lost one circlip, at the end of the day.  As for strap ins, watch for blokes running over them, it might cut them.  Never broken a strap yet, lost plenty of screws until I simply superglued them into the bindings.  As for location mount, that never gets glued, just checked twice a day.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 04:30:19 AM »
I got a screaming deal on some really top of the line one season old Atomics about 4 years ago because somebody had to have new skis every year. I used them that season and then life conspired to keep me grounded for the last 3 seasons due to various reasons. This winter life doesn't look the greatest, but since I live 1 hour from Snowshoe,WV I'll go at least once. Worst come to worst I have about 400 ft vertical drop in my front yard. Note to self, bail before barbed wire...
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 07:03:26 AM »
Well, I ski in a basic sense.  I put the skis are on my feet and usually keep them pointed downhill.  I have, on occassion, actually made it to the bottom of the bunny slope without serious injury to myself or others.  I'm pretty sure that snowboarders exist for a single reason, to buy those butt-ugly noggin mittens they wear.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 08:21:34 AM »
Not to hijack the thread too much-

If any of y'all are in the Northeast, and would like an 10 year old pair of Kestle skiis, and some tyrolia (sp?) bindings, let me know.

They are not- the new-fangled shaped skis, but straight ones.

Between my busted back, and what little common sense I have, I'm going to skip the skiing thing.

They are collecting dust in my basement, and have been for about 7 years.  Oh, I also have a pair of boots, too.

The boots have a custom insert, so you'll need to get some generic inserts.

All of this stuff has been used 8-9 times.

The price is negotiable.  I'm thinking somewhere in the neighbor hood of a 100 pack box of Winchester White Box of 9mm (currently about $16.00 and change at the local Wal-Mart), or best offer.

If anyone is interested, let me know (via PM, please), and I'll get sizes, etc.

These would be perfect for someone that thinks they want to try the skiing thing, and is not sure they want to make the investment.  Or a poor college student.
One day at a time.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 08:35:22 AM »
Snowboarder here. I'm riding a Burton Custom X(2005) with Drake F60 binders and Northwave boots.
Hopefully, I'll find some more powder this year than I did last year.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.