Author Topic: White backlash?  (Read 11448 times)

Paddy

White backlash?
« on: August 31, 2007, 03:49:23 PM »
or just radical Catholicism?   In any event, it is a legitimate counter to 'viva la raza':

White power' chanted during immigration discussion at school
written by: Jeffrey Wolf , Web Producer 
and Nelson Garcia , Reporter 

Students chant 'white power' during immigration discussion at school. 9NEWS at 5 p.m. 8/30/07
BROOMFIELD  It started with a simple question and ended with at least one student chanting "white power" in a classroom.

It happened Tuesday in a classroom at Holy Family High School, the Catholic school that sits at the corner of 144th Avenue and Sheridan Boulevard in Broomfield.

The classroom discussion started with the question: Why do students need to learn Spanish?

According to the Archdiocese of Denver, the conversation soon became about immigration and it turned ugly.

"It became a heated discussion and some rhetoric was used that was inappropriate for the classroom," said Jeanette DeMelo, spokesperson for the Archdiocese of Denver.

At least one e-mail sent to 9NEWS said that at least one student started a chant of "white power" and some said that all Mexicans should go back to Mexico.

"Immigration is an explosive topic right now. It seeped into the classroom," she said.

The Archdiocese says they did not expect something like this to happen in their system, which has embraced its Hispanic students. Archbishop Charles Chaput has come forward several times in support of the Mexican community.

"I think the teacher was a little bit unprepared for that type of discussion in a language classroom," said DeMelo.

The archdiocese says the four students who instigated the whole thing have been talked to and supposedly are remorseful. The Spanish teacher also met with administrators.

An e-mail sent to 9NEWS states the Hispanic students in the class at the time asked to leave, but were forced to stay in the classroom.

Holy Family Principal Sr. Mary Rose Lieb, O.S.F. released a statement on Thursday evening about the incident:

"On Tuesday in a Spanish-language class at Holy Family High School, a single handful of students used heated and inappropriate rhetoric in a discussion on immigration. In a class of approximately 30 students, fewer than six students voiced strong anti-immigration opinions. The remaining two-thirds of the class were silent or voiced support for immigrants. At the end of the discussion, one student inappropriately said "white power," two or three times. Most of the students in the class did not hear the comments. Contrary to media reports, there were no chants by more than one student. Two students, who were offended, asked to leave the classroom and were given permission to leave. However, the discussion ended when other students realized how these students were affected and all of the students remained until the end of class."

"When the administration received a complaint regarding this discussion, interviews were conducted of the students in the classroom as well as the teacher. The student who acted inappropriately was disciplined and the situation has been addressed with the teacher."

"The administration treated this situation as a teaching moment - an opportunity to reaffirm that respect and charity should be the foundation of every dialogue and encounter with another."

"Holy Family High School is dedicated to being a family - through respect and charity for all its members. It's always had a diverse student body. It values that diversity and strives to be a place of unity and respect for all. The distortion and inaccurate reporting of this situation is hurtful to a community that should be praised for how well they get along in their diversity."

"In all archdiocesan Catholic schools there is ongoing in-services for administrators, teachers and staff on relevant topics such as immigration, historic justice, issues of bullying and respect."

School leaders at Holy Family say their school is all about inclusiveness. It is in the school's motto and in the spirit of their teachings.

"Holy Family is precisely what its name is: a family. And they've always prided themselves on the diversity," said DeMelo.

Holy Family has a large Hispanic population and the archdiocese wants to make sure everyone is comfortable going to school.

"We are seeing the Hispanic population trust in the Catholic school system and in the diversity that exists there," said DeMelo.
http://www.9news.com/news/top-article.aspx?storyid=76418

De Selby

• friend
Re: White backlash?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 04:01:30 PM »
In any event, it is a legitimate counter to 'viva la raza':

Legitimate how?   Since when is racism of your own a "legitimate" response to someone else's racism?

Liberals and illegal immigrant activists routinely allege that anti-illegal movements are driven by racism, and that "no illegals" is actually code for "no mexicans or other brown people".  Incidents like these tend to prove them right.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 04:06:50 PM »
Since when is racism of your own a "legitimate" response to someone else's racism?

I don't see it as 'racism' at all.  It simply expresses disapproval of illegal immigration and the forcing of some foreign language and culture on those students.  It's dissent, dontcha know?

onions!

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 05:16:36 PM »
"It became a heated discussion and some rhetoric was used that was inappropriate for the classroom,"

Yeah,like a you wouldn't want to learn anything in a school. rolleyes

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 08:15:46 PM »
Well Frell me dead.

I never woulda thunked that such an innocuous establishment that I pass each week would be the site of rancor and adversity.  I wonder if it could be harnessed and directed....

<insert evil cackle>

Holy Family has a large Hispanic population and the archdiocese wants to make sure everyone is comfortable going to school.

Would that life was "comfortable.

But it ain't.

What better place to grow a pair (proveribially speaking) than in a "controlled" such as a school.  If an invidual can't stand up in school, what hope they in the "real world"?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 09:14:35 PM »
Since when is racism of your own a "legitimate" response to someone else's racism?

I don't see it as 'racism' at all.  It simply expresses disapproval of illegal immigration and the forcing of some foreign language and culture on those students.  It's dissent, dontcha know?

Are you serious? You think "white power!" is just disapproval of illegal immigration? Then why make it about race?

Do you actually believe this, or are you playing devil's advocate for the people who want "white power!" chants to be acceptable in all circles?

How is chanting a racist slogan "standing up" in school?  I don't see what leg these kids have to stand on.  If you think La Raza is a racist organization, surely being a racist or chanting racist slogans is not the only (or proper) way to respond...(but was La Raza even mentioned in this debate?)

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 09:28:33 PM »
Not racism at all.  If it looks like a duck??

Paddy

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 09:36:36 PM »
Are you serious? You think "white power!" is just disapproval of illegal immigration? Then why make it about race?

The race parameter had already been introduced by those who would force a foreign language on Americans.

Do you actually believe this, or are you playing devil's advocate for the people who want "white power!" chants to be acceptable in all circles?

The U.S.A. was founded by 'whites', specifically, caucasians of northern Europeon extraction.  We subsequently invited others to freedom.  Don't mistake our hospitality for weakness.

How is chanting a racist slogan "standing up" in school?  I don't see what leg these kids have to stand on.

I never said anything about 'standing up'.  Those are your words.  Their 'leg to stand on' is their heritage.

If you think La Raza is a racist organization, surely being a racist or chanting racist slogans is not the only (or proper) way to respond...(but was La Raza even mentioned in this debate?)

We're not the fools you think we are.  Witness those young people in the article.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 12:27:18 AM »
The race parameter had already been introduced by those who would force a foreign language on Americans.

Uhhh, how so? How does speaking a language other than english introduce a "race parameter"?

The U.S.A. was founded by 'whites', specifically, caucasians of northern Europeon extraction.  We subsequently invited others to freedom.  Don't mistake our hospitality for weakness.

Oh, I see.  So you don't count the millions of black slaves as Americans? They were just invited guests, and are subject to the "hospitality" of the northern europeans?

The proposition that America today is a white man's land where all others are guests is simply untenable.  The "we" in America does not mean just whites-at least, not the last time I checked.

Their 'leg to stand on' is their heritage.

What "heritage" is that? 

We're not the fools you think we are.  Witness those young people in the article.

Wait, so you think young people chanting "white power! white power!" proves that they're smart!?

Who's the "we" we're talking about here? All my life, I never knew that the "American we" meant only white people.  This is news to me, for sure.

Could you clarify? Are people with brown and darker shades of skin included in that "We" who are not the fools I supposedly thought they were? Or what?

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 01:32:00 AM »
Technically, it's not racist because whites and Hispanics are part of the same race.  Might make you look like an ahole but it ain't racist.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Barbara

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 02:24:29 AM »
We subsequently invited others to freedom.

Except the ones they chained up and forced to come here.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 02:40:01 AM »
That's sad, Riley.  I don't see how "white power" is a "legitimate counter" to anything, or how it helps the pro-enforcement movement, or how it's an expression of radical Catholicism.  I never thought Catholicism had a racial angle, but I could be wrong. 

But it's all just a tempest in a teapot. 
At the end of the discussion, one student inappropriately said "white power," two or three times. Most of the students in the class did not hear the comments. Contrary to media reports, there were no chants by more than one student.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Paddy

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 06:18:24 AM »
I never thought Catholicism had a racial angle, but I could be wrong.

There are about a billion Catholics worldwide, including every race on earth.

But it's all just a tempest in a teapot.
At the end of the discussion, one student inappropriately said "white power," two or three times. Most of the students in the class did not hear the comments. Contrary to media reports, there were no chants by more than one student.

Exactly. It was a 'nothing' event.  It made the news only as an opportunity for the pro illegal immigration propagandists to play the race card-again.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 07:37:35 AM »
There's a lot going on under the surface that no one wants to report, and this is just a symptom of what's ahead.  "Racism" is the inevitable byproduct of the kind of society that has been a-borning for the last half-century.  A lot of Americans would say, if pressed and in private, that the U.S. Government is racist, that it has deliberately chosen to play demographic race games and specifically at the expense of "Europeans."  Certainly that was part of what went down in 1965 at the instigation of Ted Kennedy and his fellow travelers when the new immigration policies were forged.  All of this has gotten folded into broader Marxist agendas over the years.  It's become standard operating procedure to blame "the white man" for every flaw in human nature and human society.  There are esteemed universities teaching this today--check out any "White Studies" curriculum.

It's ugly, it shouldn't be--but it is.  And if there isn't more honesty about a lot of things it will devolve into something a lot worse than sloganeering.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 07:50:46 AM »
"Racism" is the inevitable byproduct of the kind of society that has been a-borning for the last half-century.  A lot of Americans would say, if pressed and in private, that the U.S. Government is racist, that it has deliberately chosen to play demographic race games and specifically at the expense of "Europeans."
Yes, we crackers are just horribly oppressed, aren't we?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 08:06:48 AM »
Question: If a group of people of African descent were in this group and they began chanting "Black power!", would that be racism?
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 08:25:30 AM »
Yes, we crackers are just horribly oppressed, aren't we?

When "race" becomes overt, I think there's oppression, yes.  I deal with people one at a time, as individuals; I plan to go on doing that.  I think when you have a society intent on dividing itself up as tribes and thinking collectively, racism is always a by-product.

The people who are oppressed today are the productive class--of whatever background or DNA.

I'll tell you what's racism.  Try Mexican gangs targeting African-Americans in Highland Park, CA with the idea of expelling all blacks from "their" neighborhood.  Or try the incident in Long Beach where a band of blacks beat up four white girls last Halloween night to cries of "get whitey!"  No, it's not just whites who have "a problem" in this society.  Not by a long shot.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 09:24:01 AM »
Question: If a group of people of African descent were in this group and they began chanting "Black power!", would that be racism?
Nope.  Can't be racist if you're a "minority."

The people who are oppressed today are the productive class--of whatever background or DNA.
Okay, Karl...  undecided
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 10:12:16 AM »
I'm not exactly a Marxist.

And you're not exactly Dionysus.   smiley
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2007, 12:26:12 PM »

Exactly. It was a 'nothing' event.  It made the news only as an opportunity for the pro illegal immigration propagandists to play the race card-again.

If this was just about Catholics, why did you title the thread "White backlash?"

The race card here was played by the guy chanting "White power."  We don't know what the other kids were saying, but how is it that you can't see "white power!" as having to do with race?

I'm really puzzled by your claims here.  Could you respond to my questions above as well?  Who is the "we" in America?

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2007, 01:14:32 PM »
As I see it, it's a backlash towards the forced learning of a language not of their choice and a a rather dismaying demonstration against illegal immigrants. The whole thing is going to explode, eventually.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Ron

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
Hopefully the teacher had enough sense to point out the difference between legal and illegal immigrants.

Focusing on one specific group of illegal immigrants distracts from the real issue of border security. If the only folks able to slip across the border were Mexicans looking for work this wouldn't be an issue with me at all.

The fact is anybody can slip across that border. That is the issue and problem.

We subsequently invited others to freedom.
Except the ones they chained up and forced to come here.

Note the use of "they" and "we".

"They" in fact were guilty of having slaves.

"We" still offer an invitation to live free, at least as free as we still are. But that only should apply to those who follow the rules. Otherwise they need to go.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2007, 02:04:29 PM »
According to the story, one student chanted "white power" two or three times. Big deal.

As a matter of fact, we don't actually know that the student who did it was European Caucasian - it could have been a student of another ethnicity being sarcastic; it could have been a reaction to something equally racist coming from a Mexican student.

To me, this sounds like they tried to push some "we must accomodate illegals" cr@p down the student's throats, and were shocked - shocked I tell you - when some pushed back.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2007, 02:11:17 PM »
it could have been a reaction to something equally racist coming from a Mexican student

Would this have made it okay? 

To me, this sounds like they tried to push some "we must accomodate illegals" cr@p down the student's throats, and were shocked - shocked I tell you - when some pushed back.

I don't know-to me "white power!" sounds like someone who is racist, being angry at all the brown people he sees in America.  That doesn't mean there are no good reasons to be against illegal immigration-it just means that the "white power!" crowd likely are in it for a reason other than jobs and security. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2007, 03:03:32 PM »

I know that.  I'm trying to figure out why you thought this might be "radical Catholicism." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife