Author Topic: White backlash?  (Read 11446 times)

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: White backlash?
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2007, 04:41:40 PM »
I never thought Catholicism had a racial angle, but I could be wrong.

There are about a billion Catholics worldwide, including every race on earth.

I know that.  I'm trying to figure out why you thought this might be "radical Catholicism." 
It isn't.  But it (and the comments on this thread) expose the disgusting underbelly of the nativist movement.  While there is legitimate debate on immigration and not everyone of the law and order crowd is a racist, there are plenty of racists using immigration as a cover.  Somehow I get the feeling that if we had millions of Englishmen flocking illegally here the noise level would be much less.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Barbara

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2007, 06:11:26 PM »
Somehow I get the feeling that if we had millions of Englishmen flocking illegally here the noise level would be much less.

That was colonization.  grin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2007, 06:41:04 PM »
it could have been a reaction to something equally racist coming from a Mexican student

Would this have made it okay?   

No.  But if that was the case it should have been brought up.  A lot of times you never hear about what someone may have been reacting to, just the reaction.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 07:09:45 PM »

Somehow I get the feeling that if we had millions of Englishmen flocking illegally here the noise level would be much less.

I can recall of two occassions in which we had massive flocks of hostile Englishmen flooding into our country in an unwelcome fashion, we killed a sizeable number of them.   grin

Thing is, millions of English flooding into the country wouldn't be as big of an issue as they wouldn't have a problem with the language nor would assimiliation be an significant issue.  Plus, I'd have a hard time imagining most English guys I know entering the country illegally.  The lot of them are typical law abidding people.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2007, 04:30:42 AM »

I can recall of two occassions in which we had massive flocks of hostile Englishmen flooding into our country in an unwelcome fashion, we killed a sizeable number of them.   grin

Thing is, millions of English flooding into the country wouldn't be as big of an issue as they wouldn't have a problem with the language nor would assimiliation be an significant issue.  Plus, I'd have a hard time imagining most English guys I know entering the country illegally.  The lot of them are typical law abidding people.
Wow, three points made, all of them wrong.
We did not have massive influxes of immigrants.  We had an invasion by an army.  Some people cannot tell the difference and that is sad.  I blame the school system.
Second, every immigrant group gets the rap about not assimilating.  Franklin said this about the German immigrants of his day.  Some of those immigrants probably have descendents writing on this board.  Not one of those descendents is an unassimilated non-English speaking German-American.
Third, I know in Nashville the number of illegal immigrants from England is actually pretty high.  I imagine the same elsewhere.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2007, 01:16:44 PM »
. . . That doesn't mean there are no good reasons to be against illegal immigration-it just means that the "white power!" crowd likely are in it for a reason other than jobs and security. 
ONE student does not a crowd make.

Too bad nobody taped or filmed the entire session . . . otherwise, most of what is being written here about what may have gone on is speculation.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Paddy

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2007, 08:11:20 PM »
We subsequently invited others to freedom.

Except the ones they chained up and forced to come here.

Who were sold out by their black brethren in Africa.

There's a double standard here that's inherently racist.  It's ok for anybody but whites to make affirmative statements about their own race.  As soon as a white person does it, he's 'racist'.   Implied there is the assumption that the person of color is somehow inferior to the white; that they are not on equal footing.  Closet racism hiding behind a show of 'tolerance.' 

Barbara

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2007, 06:40:32 AM »
Oh, bull. Some minorities make racist statements, so its ok for whites to do it? Is that what you're saying? So racism is fine, as long as everyone is doing it?

Not in my book.

As far as the blacks selling each other? Sure..they did. But at least their descendents are sensible enough not to pat themselves on the back for how they offered them the chance for freedom.

Paddy

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2007, 08:04:24 AM »
Oh, bull. Some minorities make racist statements, so its ok for whites to do it? Is that what you're saying? So racism is fine, as long as everyone is doing it?

No, it is not.

Nobody alive today was ever a slave.  Nobody alive today was ever a slaveowner.  Slavery was an abhorrent practice of the past that has long since been corrected-in this country. Yet slavery is always presented as though it is some kind of prima facie evidence of current white 'racism' in the U.S.   Nothing could be further from the truth.  Many blacks and other people of color hold positions of prominence and power in the United States today.  They possess great wealth and influence. That is as it should be.

Yet the charade continues.  (Some) blacks (and others of color) use their race as a platform from which to accuse ALL white people of 'racism' and 'oppression'.  (Some) whites in turn do the mea culpa and attempt to alleviate their 'guilt' with affirmative action and other 'gifts'.  These same whites will give lip service to equality but privately believe blacks (and others of color) inferior.  They turn a blind eye to the real racism and genocide happening in other parts of the world.  They subsidize slavery and oppression in third world sweatshops with their consumer dollars, some even justifying it with 'free market' rhetoric.

That's the 'bull'.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2007, 08:27:53 AM »
Let's return to the original question
The classroom discussion started with the question: Why do students need to learn Spanish?
When I went to school Foreign Language was an elective, it was not forced on you, except for certain majors.  Even then you could choose from a number of languages other than just Spainish.

So what is the answer to the original question: Why do students need to learn Spanish?  To me it is not racist to not learn Spainish or any other foreign language. 

If the school requires a freign language, they need to offer more than just one language, maybe French, Arabic, German, Chinese, Greek, Polish, or any of many other Languages.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2007, 08:57:49 AM »
Budget.  Foreign language teachers cost money.
There are lots of benefits to learning a foreign language that have been documented elsewhere.  If someone had to pick one, Spanish would be a good one since it is easy to practice it in almost every major city. It is also a "cash register" language, so that people who can speak it have advantages in the job market over people who don't.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2007, 10:22:18 AM »
Yet slavery is always presented as though it is some kind of prima facie evidence of current white 'racism' in the U.S.   [...] (Some) blacks (and others of color) use their race as a platform from which to accuse ALL white people of 'racism' and 'oppression'.
Those are some lovely strawmen you have there.

Many blacks and other people of color hold positions of prominence and power in the United States today.
'Many' is a rather arguable point. But you don't want to have that discussion - so you rely on weak arguments like the above.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2007, 10:38:37 AM »
Nobody alive today was ever a slave.  Nobody alive today was ever a slaveowner. 

Wrong on both points.

Slavery still exists... Just generally not in the US...

And we still have "gangs" importing people into the US as essentially indentured...

Now, from what I read of the original post...

It started with a simple question and ended with at least one student chanting "white power" in a classroom.

Otay, Buckwheat... Looks like they had -maybe- one dumbbleep who didn't take his Ritalin that day... And he wanted to get noticed. What is the big deal? Kid oughta get spanked, and made to stand in the corner and contemplate his actions for a while.

Yawn.

Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2007, 11:18:12 AM »
As far as the blacks selling each other? Sure..they did do.
Corrected the tense - it's still happening in parts of Africa today.

But, sadly, nobody seems to care.  sad
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2007, 12:18:43 PM »
Those are some lovely strawmen you have there.

Really?  Take a look at the syllabus for White Studies courses in various institutions of "higher learning" around the U.S.  The basic thesis is: The White race is the cancer of history.

Racism is racism, wherever found.

I think what we need to look at more closely is culture.  The values most of us espouse on this forum belong to a "culture of liberty" that has very specific historic roots.  We ignore that at our peril.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2007, 01:06:18 PM »

Wrong on both points.

Slavery still exists... Just generally not in the US...

I think it was fairly obvious he was saying that none of the slaves or slave-owners from the nineteenth century are still alive today.  But whatever general point he's trying to make, I'm not sure and don't care to figure out. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hugh Damright

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2007, 01:09:40 PM »
Just a dang minute ... the article says that it was a "language classroom", a "Spanish-language class" ... and it says that the hispanic students asked to leave ... doesn't "hispanic" mean "Spanish-speaking"? Am I to understand that this is a school where hispanics get credit for taking a Spanish class?

Barbara

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2007, 01:27:02 PM »
You might want to sit down for this one:

Not all people of Hispanic ancestry speak Spanish.

Equally shocking:

Not everyone whose last name is Schmidt speaks German.

Hugh Damright

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2007, 02:31:36 PM »
Like I said, I thought that "hispanic" meant "Spanish-speaking". I am perfectly aware that "Schmidt" doesn't mean "German-speaking", thank you.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2007, 02:39:31 PM »
Like I said, I thought that "hispanic" meant "Spanish-speaking". I am perfectly aware that "Schmidt" doesn't mean "German-speaking", thank you.

Not necessarily.  I remember there was some Hispanic-named CEO of a major corporation who went to Mexico and gave a speech at the company's subsidiary.  A journalist asked him a question in Spanish and he needed someone to interpret.

But just because their parents speak Mexican (or Ecuadorian or Columbian) Spanish at home doesn't mean they can't learn a thing or two in class.  Just like people from KY still take English.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2007, 04:44:39 PM »
The terms "hispanic" and "hispanoblante" are neologisms required by the racial-grievance groups to slap all latin american immigrants to the USA into one pigeon-hole.  About the only thing in common between , say, a well-educated refugee from Castro's Cuba who came over when Cuba went commie and an ignorant campesino just from the armpit of Mexico is the language they speak (and only the Cuban reads).

Hispanic=someone from (or descended from someone from) a Spanish-speaking country in latin America

Hispanoblante=anyone who speaks Spanish
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2007, 05:43:56 PM »
Of course, we also don't know if the "chanter" (note the singular...) was caucasian or not...

Non event guys. Bury it.

Blog under construction

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2007, 06:33:37 AM »

No, it is not.

Nobody alive today founded the nation and "invited guests to freedom" either, but that didn't stop you from taking credit for it as a member of the "Northern European race" that you claim did it.

How come you're so quick to claim the credit for founding the "nation of liberty" because you identify with the "Northern Europeans" above mentioned, yet refuse to claim any responsibility for the system of slavery implemented by the very same people?

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Paddy

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2007, 07:15:43 AM »
Non event guys. Bury it.

Long since called in Reply #11 and reaffirmed in #12.  But not before ss had spontaneously overreacted in nos. 1, 5 & 8.  cheesy

How come you're so quick to claim the credit for founding the "nation of liberty" because you identify with the "Northern Europeans" above mentioned, yet refuse to claim any responsibility for the system of slavery implemented by the very same people?

Simply for the purpose of exposing radical and agenda driven proclivities.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2007, 09:22:32 AM »

Simply for the purpose of exposing radical and agenda driven proclivities.
Your own, I presume?

I think racial slogans are childish whether the slogan in question is "Black Power!" or "White Power!" or "Viva la Raza!

I certainly don't see one as a valid response to another.