Author Topic: Steve Fossett may be gone...plane missing.  (Read 8364 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Steve Fossett may be gone...plane missing.
« on: September 04, 2007, 09:49:57 AM »
There's no way this guy wouldn't have had an ELT. So no contact is...not good. But man, that's why you always file a flight plan...

FAA: Adventurer Fossett's Plane Missing

By SCOTT SONNER  13 minutes ago

RENO, Nev. (AP)  Teams searched rugged terrain Tuesday for a plane carrying aviation adventurer Steve Fossett, the first person to circle the world solo in a balloon, a day after the plane vanished, federal officials said.

Fossett took off in the single engine Bellanca at 8:45 a.m. Monday at a private airstrip on a ranch south of Smith Valley in western Nevada and didn't return as scheduled. A friend reported him missing, said Ian Gregor, a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman in Maryland.

"The Civil Air Patrol is looking for him. One problem is he doesn't appear to have filed a flight plan," Gregor said.

The search for the millionaire entrepreneur was being coordinated by the Air Force's Rescue Coordination Center in Langley, Va., Gregor said.

"They are working on some leads, but they don't know where he is right now," Gregor said.

In 2002, Fossett became the first person to fly around the world alone in a balloon. In two weeks, his balloon flew 19,428.6 miles around the Southern Hemisphere. The record came after five previous attempts  some of them spectacular and frightening failures.

Three years later, in March 2005, he became the first person to fly a plane solo around the world without refueling.

He and a co-pilot also claim to have set a world glider altitude record of 50,671 feet during a flight in August over the Andes Mountains.

Fossett, 63, of Beaver Creek, Colo., was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame in July. He told a crowd gathered at the Dayton Convention Center in Ohio that he will continue flying.

"I'm hoping you didn't give me this award because you think my career is complete, because I'm not done," Fossett said.

Fossett said he plans to go to Argentina in November in an effort to break a glider record.
Hosted by Google

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Steve Fossett may be gone...plane missing.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 10:17:45 AM »
Flight plan? I'm a millionaire, I don't need no stinkin' flight plan!  rolleyes

Avoid cliches like the plague!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 11:33:46 AM »
You're right.  No one is required to file a flight plan except when flying by Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) or when crossing national borders.  A Visual Flight Rules (VFR) flight does not require a flight plan, even if the flight goes all the way across the country.

Maybe he just was planning on going out buzzing around the sky for two or three hours; I like doing that.  When I fly for fun, I do my best to avoid all interaction with ATC.  No flight plan, no radio.  Why, it's almost like being free again.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 12:54:04 PM »
Hmph, I did not know that. What happens when you crash and they can't find you?  grin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 12:58:24 PM »
Hmph, I did not know that. What happens when you crash and they can't find you? 

They make a Movie of the Week about it.  For Fossett, maybe a National Geographic Special, too.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 03:00:58 PM »
What happens when you crash and they can't find you?

Hey, coyotes gotta eat too Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 03:01:36 PM »
Hmph, I did not know that. What happens when you crash and they can't find you?  grin

Exactly.

Personal responsibility can be a bitch, eh?

Barbara

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 03:44:09 PM »
I think once you crash, you don't really give a hoot if they find you or not. Smiley

Good for him. Gone the way he'd want to have, I bet. Definitely worse ways to die.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 04:02:08 PM »
If you die on the spot maybe but what if you live and have to put up with the buzzards trying to make dinner out of you first? Or the crows...  cheesy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 04:06:15 PM »
No ELT? I read that the plane was owned by a hunting outfit. If I were doing lots of backcountry flying like I'm guessing a hunting outfit would, I'd sure have one mounted in my plane.

Still too early to give up hope. He could just be in a gnarly area waiting for someone to spot him.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 05:11:51 PM »
Probably did have an ELT, although I can't remember is general aviation still requires one to be on board.

Anyway, if the ELT battery is dead, or the pilot didn't arm the switch, or if he crashed in steep terrain, then the ELT is about worthless.

Someone will find the wreckage eventually, if there is wreckage [insert conspiracy theory here].

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 06:29:02 PM »
Is this the guy that kept trying to do stupid things like flying a balloon around the world? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 06:44:41 PM »
I think once you crash, you don't really give a hoot if they find you or not.

Not entirely true. Way back in the mists of time, when I was still living with Ma 'n' Da on the ranch, we had the local SAR team show up with about three trucks and a bunch of guys asking to search the ol' homestead. Seems a plane had gone down near our home and they were out looking for it (Our place was on a ridge overlooking the Roseburg Municipal Airport). Sure said we, we'll even help out. So I got on the ol' four wheeler, a couple guys grabbed a fender, and off we went into the woods looking for this plane. We found it, all right- upside-down, nose buried in the base of a tree, both wings ripped off, Avgas everywhere- but no people. No DRT, no injured, nothing. WTH, we all said, looking at each other all puzzled-like. Then came the call: thanks for finding the plane, but call off the search for occupants. Seems they all got out, one had a bit of a bump on his head and maybe a broken arm, but they all walked out to the hospital which was at the bottom of the ridge just below our house. shocked

Airplane crash survival can happen.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 06:55:18 PM »

You die doing something you love.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 02:35:23 AM »
Hmmm.  Wonder if he recently had a visit from John Gault.
Experiment with a chemist!

Vile Nylons

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 03:53:42 AM »
I think once you crash, you don't really give a hoot if they find you or not.

Airplane crash survival can happen.

My wife, part of the local S & R, located a crash site a few years back and rescued two little girls riding backseat who survived the accident.  The two adults up front did not. So there is hope.

Steve Fossett is the balloonist adventurer but has switched to aeronautics in the past few years trying to push the envelope and set "records".

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 04:06:18 AM »
Is this the guy that kept trying to do stupid things like flying a balloon around the world? 

Just like that silly guy who flew a Ryan monoplane across the atlantic to Paris, yes, or those two crazy brothers who tried to get a glorified kite with a motor airborne from some sand dunes.

I never call aviation pioneers "stupid"...it's better than people placidly watching reality TV or something. Smiley

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 05:23:11 AM »
GA crashes are not uncommon, for any multitude or reasons.  And GA pilots flying around uncontrolled airspace, or from small airport to small airport without a flight plan....also not uncommon.  As stated earlier, its all about personal responsibility.  If you want your loved ones to have a chance of finding your smoking corpse....then file a flight plan.

Not to get too technical, but IIRC you need a flight plan to enter ADIZ airspace.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 06:28:44 AM »
I saw on the news this morning that the plane did in fact have an ELT on board.  I guess that can be good or bad -- maybe something innocuous like Fly320s pointed out, or maybe he impacted so fast and hard the ELT was destroyed.  sad
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mike

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 06:34:07 AM »
Didn't have a flight plan because he was just flying around looking for open spaces where he could race a car for the land speed record. He didn't really know where he was going to fly, so no reason to file a flight plan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 12:49:47 PM »

Just like that silly guy who flew a Ryan monoplane across the atlantic to Paris, yes, or those two crazy brothers who tried to get a glorified kite with a motor airborne from some sand dunes.

I never call aviation pioneers "stupid"...it's better than people placidly watching reality TV or something. Smiley

I'm sorry, I really can't give him that kind of credit.  To me, he just seemed to be wasting millions of dollars on nothing.  But you go one being optimistic, though.   smiley

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 02:56:56 PM »
I'm sorry, I really can't give him that kind of credit.  To me, he just seemed to be wasting millions of dollars on nothing.  But you go one being optimistic, though.   smiley

They're his millions to waste though.

I'd much rather he spent them on this than things like funding the brady bunch.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 07:04:43 PM »
ELTs.

ELTs are required for all US registered civil airplanes. They are required to be inspected every 12 calender months after the last inspection for proper installation, battery corrosion, and the presence of a sufficient signal radiated from its antenna.

The batteries must be replaced or recharged if the ELT has been in use for more than one cumulative hour, or when 50% of their useful life has expired. The ELT can also be tested on the ground the first five minutes past the hour, with a limit of 3 audible sweeps during the test.

An ELT is required even for antique aircraft without electrical systems, because it is independant of the electrical system.

My designated examiner scrutinized me during the oral exam about ELTs, too.

I'd rather have one of the newer 406mhz ELTs, though.

Flightplans

Flightplans are only useful if you are going from point A to B. They are no good if you are just going out for a local flight.

I don't generally file VFR flight plans. If I am going somewhere, I will try to get flight following if possible.

I don't want ATC watching over my shoulder like big brother all the time anyway. But there are definitely people who want that to happen. One is the Department of Homeland Security chief. He wants to have equipment put in every GA plane to identify the pilots and monitor their actions.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 07:21:54 PM »

They're his millions to waste though.

I'd much rather he spent them on this than things like funding the brady bunch.

Well, duh. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 11:04:55 AM »
An ELT is required even for antique aircraft without electrical systems . . .
Don't powered aircraft need an electrical system, to fire the spark plugs if nothing else?

Anyway, I certainly don't have anything against Steve Fossett and don't wish him ill . . . but he did seem to be a bit of a reckless publicity hound. I guess he liked spending his own money so he could jump up and down shouting "Look at me! Look at me! See what I did!"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain