Author Topic: Who Here Is A Pilot (Private or Commercial)?  (Read 5793 times)

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
Re: Who Here Is A Pilot (Private or Commercial)?
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 03:53:20 PM »
PS:
Nothing will get you ignored, terminated, or vectored out of airspace faster than being an ass to ATC. 

I always wondered, why is it okay for ATC to make smartass remarks, but not pilots?

-------------------------

Devonai, I haven't flown for a few years now, but I got single and multi engine commercial & instrument and was working on my CFI when I gradually got tired of the hassle of flying and gave it up.  I think, MS Flight Sim can help you a lot even for getting your private pilot's license, even if the look and feel are different, because it helps you rehearse the simple things that fluster you when you have to concentrate of the physical motions of flying the plane.  For example, what the hell am I supposed to be doing right now?  It is just hard to think about ATC's instructions, or fill in info on your cross country log and make various time/distance/fuel calculations, or mess with the nav instruments, when you're still concentrating on keeping the plane straight and level.

You can get some bad habits from flight sims/games.  I spent too much time staring at the instruments when I moved to real airplanes.  But in my opinion you gain much more from the computer than you lose.  Because I always wore sunglasses, my instructor never realized how much my head was inside the cockpit, and the more flight experience I gained the more I looked outside on my own, but I did pretty well even with that bad habit to unlearn.  I think I concentrated on the feel of the controls and the sound of the prop pitch more than I looked outside, actually.

Most pilots say the instrument rating  is the toughest, but for me is was definitely the easiest.  I was in my element, I guess... I just am good at going from instrument to instrument, and maybe my "bad habit" helped me out there.  Flight sims are fantastic for practicing this.  Saves you a ton of money and time.

I think the best book to learn from are the Jepp manuals & workbooks.  They were the core for me, and everything else a supplement.  So go through those thoroughly and one step at a time, making sure you get just about everything before moving on.

Actually, what will help you learn the best, in my opinion, is doing nothing but flying and studying flight, as in 8 hours a day 5-6 days a week if you can get instructor and airplane availability.  During a holiday break for like 7-8 when most left for home (it was a school where people from around the country & world came to fly, not a place for locals), I stayed at my flight school and my instructor was around with few others to teach, and I flew 2-3 times a day and spent the rest of the day studying or doing pre/post flight stuff.  It was amazing.  It was like I became a super pilot.  I flew 3 times as often in the same period of time, but learned 6 times as fast.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2007, 02:07:38 AM »
Actually, I've heard pilots say some very funny *expletive deleted*it over the years.  You're confusing that with numbskulls that don't take ATC serious, or are completely oblivious to a busy ATC sector, assuming that the world revolves around them.

Not long after Super Troopers came out, there was a Delta driver that would say "meow" at every opportunity.  It was hard not to laugh.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

fredflyer

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2007, 09:55:39 PM »
Hi Devonai.  I'm new here, but not to aviation.  I joined the USAF in 1967 and began teaching in 1970.  I'm also an FAA CFI/SEL,MEL,IA and ATP/SEL,MEL.  I would recommend FS2004 for general orientation to navigation and practice of cross-country flights.  It doesn't work well for basic aircraft control in VFR flying, regardless of how much you spend on yoke and pedals.  It will do good things for you if you continue with instrument training, however.  Besides, it is fun to play with the various varieties of aircraft in the program.  As for your actual training:  Pick a flight instructor that you get along with, are comfortable with, and TRUST!  It will be better (but not necessary) if he has a large and varied experience, and is NOT just "building time to move up to the airlines".  The actual kind of airplane (Cessna - Piper - whatever) is not so important as the mechanical condition and availability of the plane(s) you will be flying.  You will progress most quickly, efficiently, and least expensively, if you can commit to having 3 - 5 lessons every week.  You will spend the least time re-learning things.  Last (for now) is this recommendation:  join AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) and subscribe to its AOPA Pilot magazine AND Flight Training magazine.  They are the very best publications in the whole of aviation!  PM me if you have any other questions that you don't want to post here.  -- Rocky

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2007, 03:55:40 AM »
Just a quick thought...

Devonai,

Go get yourself an aviation medical/student pilot certificate.  You'll need both to start training, and you'll want to know if you have any physical or medical conditions that will limit your flying. i.e: color blindness, poor vision, high blood pressure, etc.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

oldguy65

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2007, 04:43:12 AM »
I started late in life with flying but have 20 years in now and it's a great sport although expensive. I would
guess a private license now would cost 8000-$10000 to start. Find a good instructor if you aren't doing
well find another no two instructors are alike and it pays to find one you enjoy flying with.

I do believe regulations will phase out Joe average from flying within a few more years but that overall
seems the direction with most activities now.

Go sign up today you'll regret not having done it sooner.!!!

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2007, 06:06:14 AM »
Well, once again, I'm late to the party. Not really anything else I can add to the list, except to agree that while flightSims might be useful for getting to know basic navigation and maybe instrument familiarization, they really aren't an accurate representation of what all is going on when you're flying an airplane.

As for study aids, I'd recommend the Jeppesen books/materials and the Gleim test prep materials.

http://www.jeppesen.com
http://www.gleim.com

Note: Take the time to learn basic navigation the old-fashioned way, including using the E6-B manual flight computer. My examiner had a serious mad-on about the guys who'd whip out the electronics, and would sit there and say, "Okay, your batteries just died. Those are dead too. Yup, and those. Uh-huh, those as well. Now what ya gonna do?"

Oh yeah; also, never use the word "hit" when talking to ATC. Trust me on this.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2007, 11:23:24 AM »
8000-$10000

I did mine on about $6, maybe less. It was spread out over time, though.

Oh, and in regards to the medical, a current medical is required to start solo flight. You don't actually have to have one for your first few lessons.

Be careful what you tell the flight doc, and consult about something before you put it down on the form. Putting the wrong thing down or wording something incorrectly can screw you up for life.

I do believe regulations will phase out Joe average from flying within a few more years but that overall
seems the direction with most activities now.

Quite possibly. The FAA and the airlines are trying real hard this budget cycle, but the AOPA is fighting an extremely active campaign. Just remember that flying is like being a shooter- you are going to be on the losing side a lot. And the general public sympathy is going to be against you.

And the ridiculous thing about the airlines trying to crush GA is that doing so will not help them a bit- airline pilots start out in Cessna and Piper cockpits just like every other pilot.
the old-fashioned way, including using the E6-B manual flight computer.

Oh, yes- the E6B. It looks insanely complicated at first glance, but even I could use one. And I'm not even as smart as a caveman.

I did find pilotage and dedreckoning fun, too.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2007, 11:43:11 AM »
8000-$10000
Be careful what you tell the flight doc, and consult about something before you put it down on the form. Putting the wrong thing down or wording something incorrectly can screw you up for life.

Quoted for emphasis.  This is especially important if you've ever had a concussion.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2007, 11:58:17 AM »
I do believe regulations will phase out Joe average from flying within a few more years but that overall seems the direction with most activities now.

They won't have to work terribly hard at it; costs will do the bulk of the work. undecided
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2007, 12:04:19 PM »
8000-$10000

Quoted for emphasis.  This is especially important if you've ever had a concussion.

Or if you've ever smoked a joint or had some beer.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2007, 12:26:58 PM »
Don't tell the flight doc that he is a quack to his face, either.  grin

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2007, 04:09:02 PM »
Thanks for the advice on getting the medical out of the way.  I'm in the New Hampshire National Guard, so I can already anticipate a clean bill of health.  In fact, I've got a Periodic Health Assessment coming up next month.  I'm only 30 years old, btw.  I should be able to make a career out of this for a couple of decades at least.

E6B?  In Aces High all I have to do is hit the ESC key to use mine!  grin

I am curious, about something, though.  In 1999 I went out for the NYPD and I got washed out because I couldn't provide medical records of a broken leg... in 1978.  The Army didn't care, however.  Will the flight doc or should I just leave it out?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2007, 04:11:37 PM »
Thanks for the advice on getting the medical out of the way.  I'm in the New Hampshire National Guard, so I can already anticipate a clean bill of health.  In fact, I've got a Periodic Health Assessment coming up next month.  I'm only 30 years old, btw.  I should be able to make a career out of this for a couple of decades at least.

E6B?  In Aces High all I have to do is hit the ESC key to use mine!  grin

I am curious, about something, though.  In 1999 I went out for the NYPD and I got washed out because I couldn't provide medical records of a broken leg... in 1978.  The Army didn't care, however.  Will the flight doc or should I just leave it out?

I don't think they'll know. 
You'd be surprised what medical standards will keep you from flying though.  The biggest two is hearing and vision.  There might be some tests the Nat G didn't do on you that the flight doc does....
Keep us posted.
JD

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2007, 06:54:58 PM »
Will the flight doc or should I just leave it out?

Don't tell them.

I can already anticipate a clean bill of health

You can't until you actually have the medical in hand. In fact, scratch that. The FAA has a period (I think 60 days) in which they can revoke you medical.

Here is how my flight physical went:

1st- weight and blood pressure check
2nd- hearing and vision check. I actually had to use the eye charts because I couldn't pass it on the machine. The flight doc was nice enough to help me get the bare minimum I needed for a 3rd class by taking me to the chart and letting me have a couple of goes at it. I am nearsighted in my left eye; my right eye is 20/20
3rd- Pee in a cup. They then stuck a test strip in the cup to check whatever they check
4th. The doctor came in and talked to me, and signed me off for my 3rd class medical.