Author Topic: CA Lead Ammo Ban Heading to Governor's Desk  (Read 1949 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
CA Lead Ammo Ban Heading to Governor's Desk
« on: September 06, 2007, 07:02:31 PM »
Just got this in my inbox from the NRA. Though at the beginning of his Governorship I would have laid odds this wouldn't get signed, I'm not all that sure now.

---------------------
Golden State Lead Ammunition Ban Sent to Governor's Desk!
Please Contact Governor Schwarzenegger Today!

Today the California Legislature sent Assembly Bill 821 to Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) for his consideration.  AB 821 would ban the use of lead ammunition for hunting in areas occupied by California condor.  The lead ammunition ban cannot be supported by scientific fact.  The Legislature has chosen to make a political football out of an anti-hunting group's efforts to ban lead ammunition throughout the state.

By passing AB 821, the Legislature has usurped the authority of the Fish and Game Commission over the regulation of hunting and the management of the state's wildlife.  The Legislature has arrogantly dismissed the years-long deliberative process involving extensive public input and review of the most current scientific information pertaining to the potential effects of lead ammunition on the health of condors.  The most recent scientific review provided to the Commission revealed that previous science attempting to show a link between lead ammunition and condor mortality is severely flawed.

Unlike the Fish and Game Commission, the Legislature did not take into account the effects of a lead ammunition ban on the state's hunters.  Studies show that a ban will force many hunters to quit hunting altogether.  This will have terrible consequences on wildlife management practices and the state's hunting heritage.

Please contact the Governor and respectfully tell him that the Fish and Game Commission is the government body of experts appropriately entrusted to scientifically regulate hunting in California, not politicians in Sacramento.  Respectfully request that he veto AB 821 and allow the Commission's process to continue its course.

Governor Schwarzenegger can be reached by phone at 916-445-2841, fax at 916-445-4633, or visit http://gov.ca.gov/interact#email to send email.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: CA Lead Ammo Ban Heading to Governor's Desk
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 07:13:20 PM »
I thought getting rid of DDT was supposed to bring back the condors?
Maybe its just their time to die out. If lead ammunition has such a devastating effect on birds then why aren't many other meat eaters in danger?

Cause its all BS.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 08:08:58 PM »
Arnold is not stupid.  I predict he will not sign it.

Edited:
AB 821 would ban the use of lead ammunition for hunting in areas occupied by California condor.

Whoops.  The devil is in the details.  Condors move all over the place.  We had three of them living on Pine Mountain (right behind our house) for a few weeks.  They even landed about 20 feet from me while I was washing my truck.  They are freaking ugly, being carrion birds and all.  Still it was freaking amazing.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 01:25:28 AM »
I hope he doesn't sign it, but wouldn't be too terribly surprised if he does. He's been on a more leftist bent lately.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 03:47:14 AM »
The lead ammunition ban cannot be supported by scientific fact.

Yeah, and the sun generally rises in the east, too.

I still miss the beaches now and then, but life in the United States is far superior.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 10:23:11 AM »
About 1/3 to 1/2 the state is one of the designated condor areas.

The NRA is right about the legislature ursurping authority from the F&G Commission.  The lefties did this about 15 years ago when the scientific data showed mountain lions could be sustainably hunted.  F&G was about to okay it, so the environmentalists got it put on the ballot, and hunting was banned forever.  Here, when the ban is faltering in F&G, the legislature decides to run with it, and I have to write that many more letters telling the nimrods that five dead birds is no reason to ban hunting in near half the state.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 06:10:11 PM »
So just use tungsten armor piercing rounds.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 12:11:07 AM »
A tad pricey, Mech.  And anything that could be construed as "Armor Piercing" is a felony to own here.

I called Ahhnuld this morning.  Since AB 821 is not one of the bills you can select from the automated menu (but one having to do with the selling of kangaroo parts is  shocked ) you have to wait to talk to a live person, which really is a good thing.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Antibubba

• friend
Call the Guv to SIGN THIS ONE!!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 02:43:50 AM »
The Emergency Powers Bill: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_1601-1650/ab_1645_bill_20070223_introduced.html

In short,
AB1645, sponsored by Assemblyman Doug La Malfa (R-2), will protect law-abiding gun owners during a declared state of emergency from the seizure or confiscation of any lawfully carried or possessed firearm or ammunition.

That this is even going to his desk at all is an event.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 05:17:36 AM »
They even landed about 20 feet from me while I was washing my truck. 

Why are you washing your truck, you wuss?    Tongue
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 12:03:06 PM »
They even landed about 20 feet from me while I was washing my truck. 

Why are you washing your truck, you wuss? 

It's probably a bigazz gas guzzler too, you should be ashamed for wasting water.  Although, I know it's a Ranger, just joshing.

Pine Mountain, are you in Oregon, east of Bend?  We saw a cougar out there last year atop that mountain.  But I suspect there are as many Pine Mountains in America as there are Lost Lakes.  I think we have 3 Lost Lakes in Oregon alone.

Man, those Californians smoke way too much pot becuase a large portion of them are obviously high, banning lead ammo.... hmm, hidden agenda, nah.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

Paddy

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 07:35:32 PM »
It's probably a bigazz gas guzzler too, you should be ashamed for wasting water.  Although, I know it's a Ranger, just joshing.
   laugh

Pine Mountain, are you in Oregon, east of Bend?  We saw a cougar out there last year atop that mountain.  But I suspect there are as many Pine Mountains in America as there are Lost Lakes.  I think we have 3 Lost Lakes in Oregon alone.

Pine Mountains all over.  This one is in central coastal California, halfway 'twixt LA & SF, and bout 12 mi inland (from the Pacific Ocean, for those in Misery).

BTW, I just visited my bro in La Grande OR.  Great little town, but I took the wrong route.  Up through Sacramento into Reno, then Winnemucca into Idaho, back into OR across the Snake River.  Next time, I'm taking the western route.