Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU TAKE ON A DAY HIKE?  (Read 8242 times)

rangermedic

WHAT DO YOU TAKE ON A DAY HIKE?
« on: September 08, 2007, 12:21:57 PM »
 When going on a day hike of more than four hours but less than eight, on a known trail. it is Late summer you are expected back with the 8 hours.  what do you carry? on your person and in your pack if, you use one?

SkunkApe

• friend
Re: WHAT DO YOU TAKE ON A DAY HIKE?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 12:30:42 PM »

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 12:47:11 PM »
Add lightweight raingear, topo map, my little pocket survival kit, space blanket, spare socks, a knit hat and a first aid kit to the above and you've about got it.

But up here 3 hours in is actual wilderness.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 12:54:15 PM »
I assume the stapler is for... hanging targets? And the corkscrew is so you can clean your ears, ala Monkeyleg? grin Oops, my mistake, it was actually Grampster.

And what's the key shaped object, is that a flint or one of those magnesium firestarters?
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 12:54:57 PM »
A stapler and corkscrew?  For comic relief? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 12:59:12 PM »
You forgot the duct tape.

And a trash bag, in case you see anything that you really, really want to remove, due to idiotic people.

Blog under construction

SkunkApe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 01:00:15 PM »
And what's the key shaped object, is that a flint or one of those magnesium firestarters?

It's a spare key for my truck.  I wear in around my neck.  I put the plastic cap from a ballpoint pen over the metal part so it doesn't scratch me.

I hate the thought of losing me keys out in the middle of nowhere, so I carry a spare.

SkunkApe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 01:00:47 PM »

Winner.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 01:06:18 PM »

Winner.

...but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 01:08:42 PM »

It's a spare key for my truck.  I wear in around my neck.  I put the plastic cap from a ballpoint pen over the metal part so it doesn't scratch me.

I hate the thought of losing me keys out in the middle of nowhere, so I carry a spare.

Good idea.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 01:47:09 PM »
And a trash bag, in case you see anything that you really, really want to remove, due to idiotic people.

Actually a couple of heavy duty big trash bags are worth 1000 times the tiny little space they take up in a kit. Water holder, solar still, rain poncho, shelter component, climb in it if your boat sinks, just to name a few.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 02:43:40 PM »
I take off the damn capsloc, that's what I do. Maybe we could all follow that example..... grin

Welcome aboard rangermedic. smiley
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 03:27:36 PM »
Don't forget to take a friend with you so that if you fall down a cliff there is somebody to call for help.
There has been a number of day hikes in the news that have be unexpectedly extended for a number of days, or were fatal.  This doesn't mean don't do them, but do use some common sense.
If you are going out in a short sleeve shirt and shorts, put warm clothing in your backpack, or vis-versa. 
My son and some friends went to the mountains to get me some wood for my fireplace.  They got stuck miles from nowhere and had to spend the night with no food, no water, no blankets, no phone, just them and their stuck truck and worried parents back home.  They made it out the next day.

Paddy

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 08:33:33 PM »
Take your freakin' camera, a folding knife and a bottle of water.   If you can't make it on that, stay home.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 08:36:18 PM »
If law permits, take a real knife rather than a folding knife. 

Paddy

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 09:04:06 PM »

OK, take the carbon fiber KA BAR if it makes you feel macho.  Whatever  rolleyes

SkunkApe

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 09:44:26 PM »
Take your freakin' camera, a folding knife and a bottle of water.   If you can't make it on that, stay home.

What a crab.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 02:49:45 AM »
Four hours?  Probably nuthin'.  Longer?  A canteen.  Maybe a varmint rifle, depending on mood and ambition.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 02:58:07 AM »
I use a camelbak Transalp for such entertainment.
Rain poncho, which can double as a shelter
Extra socks, 1 pair
A little more food than I expect to eat, maybe an extra MRE main meal
Multi tool
Water purification tablets
Waterproof matches, and a bit of dry kindling
First aid kit. Extra roll of first aid tape.  Half-a roll of duct tape.
GPS, Map, compass.
Probably a few other things I can't think of. 

Of course the last real day hike I took was above 8,000', and the nearest civilization was probably 50 miles.  We were about 10 miles from the main road at any given time.

Usually when I go flyfishing, I'm out for the day, but never very far from anything.  In that case, the only survival gear I carry is a pack of waterproof matches, a multitool, and a flask full of tequila.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2007, 03:14:33 AM »

OK, take the carbon fiber KA BAR if it makes you feel macho.  Whatever  rolleyes

Hee hee.  No, just might as well carry a stronger, simpler, more useful knife.  Besides, most of us have these things just sitting around waiting to be used.  Let them get some fresh air from time to time.   smiley

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2007, 04:11:27 AM »
Small fixed blade knife (Rambo wannabe, sorry Riley)
Camelback with water and snack
Camera
cellphone or amateur radio HT depending on cell coverage expectations
small flashlight if mid afternoon or later
An extra layer if it's cool.

If legal, I take a handgun.  If I'm up in the mountains, I take the 44, if local and I need to maintain a lower profile, the 38 snubby suffices.

Anecdote regarding "day hikes": When I first moved to Manassas, I went to the battlefield to get in a  mid afternoon hike.  I only expected to be out for a couple hours.  Well, I got turned around on the far end of the park and ended up taking the largest possible loop.  I didn't get back to my car until well after dark.  Needless to say, I was happy I packed extra water (more than a bottle) and my flashlight.  The gate was closed when I got back to the parking lot, so I had to remove a section of the split rail fence to get out.  Yes, I put everything back in place before I left...

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2007, 05:02:53 AM »
You guys covered a lot but how about some food? And a bottle of wine to go with the corkscrew fer cryin' out loud!   laugh

I got just about everything jamis listed. Anybody say whistle or binocs? If you go off trail you can bring some of that plastic fluorescent tape to tie on trees every so often. Mini survival manual, snake bite kit. Or have those gone out of favor, I heard no more making x's and sucking poison a while back. Of course if you have your .38 or whatever you could always just shoot the poison out, saw it in a movie.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Paddy

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2007, 10:13:22 AM »
Here ya go

The Picnic Off to the park! This classic reusable basket is already packed full of delectable treats and a camera for your memories. Everything needed for a lazy day in the shade of a tree. Just add sunshine and good friends.

Picnic Basket with Green Gingham Liner, including forks, knives, plates, acrylic wine glasses, containers, cheese knife, cheese board and napkins.
Forest Glen Chardonnay
French Brie Cheese
Havarti with Dill
La Tempesta Chocolate Macadamia Biscotti
Tony Packo's Pickles and Peppers
Santa Barbara Garlic Stuffed Olives
Carr's Assorted Biscuits
Maille Mustard
5 Lindt Chocolates
Lindt Chocolate Bar
Disposable Camera

Hey! Whar's the napkin rings?  laugh

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2007, 11:00:42 AM »
You guys covered a lot but how about some food? And a bottle of wine to go with the corkscrew fer cryin' out loud!   laugh

I got just about everything jamis listed. Anybody say whistle or binocs? If you go off trail you can bring some of that plastic fluorescent tape to tie on trees every so often. Mini survival manual, snake bite kit. Or have those gone out of favor, I heard no more making x's and sucking poison a while back. Of course if you have your .38 or whatever you could always just shoot the poison out, saw it in a movie.  grin

I guess I take it for granted that I keep my matches in a whistle that doubles as a waterproof match case, with a striking flint inside it.
Snakebite kits are snakeoil. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2007, 11:29:57 AM »
yea, I thought so, sure glad in the "old days" I never got bit by a snake and had to cut myself and suck out the poison!  laugh

I've never seen a whistle that doubles as a match case before! Sounds cool.

When I go out it's usually alone and I like to know that if something happens I can last in the woods for a few days without too much discomfort. Long as the buzzards don't get me...  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!