Author Topic: Quick question on quads, ATVs, whatever you wanna call 'em.  (Read 808 times)

Gord

Quick question on quads, ATVs, whatever you wanna call 'em.
« on: September 09, 2007, 09:02:28 AM »
Hey all,

Each person in my family has a quad - mom and little bro both have average-sized 250s, and I've got a monster of a Polaris 400 that takes up my entire truck bed. We do, however, have another truck that the 250s would fit into...

My question is - will loading them vertically damage them? I've heard that that's the case, but I saw countless people on the California freeways doing it all the time - they'd just drive one up into the bed, stand it on end or rest it at about a 60-degree angle on the back of the cab, winch it down, and then drive a second one into the bed, lean it on the first one, winch it down also, close the tailgate and drive away.

I'd like to avoid having to buy a trailer if possible - money I'd rather not spend and the trails around here are rough enough that hauling a trailer would get me stuck long before I would in a truck alone.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Quick question on quads, ATVs, whatever you wanna call 'em.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 09:14:13 AM »
Couldn't tell you.  Call a service dept and ask them.

But if they are doing it in California it must be ok.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 09:32:44 AM »
With the abuse I've seen my brother give his while racing, I don't see how you could possibly damage it by standing it up in your truck bed.

The only problems I could see might be, gas leaking out (so empty tank), Battery leaking (so remove battery), and I don't think the crankcase oil (don't worry if its a 2 stroke) or tranny oil will go anywhere.

Sound like people who think everyone else should do things "their way".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 11:45:20 AM »
I would think the manual would list a limitation like that.  At least something along the idea of, "do not drive on slopes greater than 60 degrees."

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 02:03:55 PM »
I don't think it would damage them at all.  Just watch for leaks, and as mentioned before, transport with the tanks empty, and the battery removed if, if you have a battery.