Author Topic: Stamped concrete - anyone else have this done?  (Read 1011 times)

jeepmor

• friend
Stamped concrete - anyone else have this done?
« on: September 11, 2007, 02:41:00 AM »
I'll post some pics later this week, but if any of you have a stamped patio, please share your images.  I was apprehensive about it due to the extra cost, but now that it's done, man, it looks awesome.  I'm not even sure an actual stone patio looks any better.  Besides, if I went that route, I was still stuck pouring a slab to put it on because, living in the PNW, the ground is not stable enough long term to put one just on a gravel bed as the patio manufacturers spec.  We did look at pavers first, but a few visits from the contractors changed our minds to concrete, so we chose stamping for a better look.

I'm quite pleased, as is the wife.  So momma's happy, that's good.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Stamped concrete - anyone else have this done?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 02:51:04 AM »
Please, make with the pics!  We'll be doing a porch on the new house when it goes up.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 04:01:56 AM »
Yeah, my uncle bought a set of stamps to do that.

He can add some type of dye to color the concrete.

It is certainly faster than other methods. I would want someone who can do it better than my uncle can, though. The stamps cost a ridiculous amount of money ~$1400, IIRC.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 04:07:44 AM »
I have seen the stamped concrete driveways and porches on some new upscale homes.  Between the dye job, texturing and stamping, it looks absolutely gorgeous and reminiscent of stone or slate tiles.  Beautiful.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 06:48:40 AM »
I've even seen it where the pattern was deep enough that they were able to pour a grey material in the seams.  It was some kind of product that stayed flexible after it cured.  I presume was silicon-based. 

The pattern was meant to look like flat stone and the effect was really pleasant, not to mention durable as heck.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 02:16:51 PM »
Here's a pic or two.

Sorry they're so big, I cropped them but don't have anything to shrink them further.   I think this will add significant value to my house over the broomed or exposed aggregate look.  Meanwhile, until we decide to move, we will be enjoying it and not worrying about the weather and maintenance near to the degree a wood deck requires.

As for the technical details the coloring is simply a few bags of the appropriate colored powder dumped into the concrete truck and mixed for 20 minutes or so.  The darker color on mine, the release agent, is a powder much like the color that keeps the stamp from sticking to the concrete and fouling up the pattern.  Don't be cheap on this part.  If you decide to try it yourself and possess the skills and can rent the stamps, look into it at brickform.com.  In large metro areas, I would imagine you could find some rental outfit that carries the stamps.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 05:22:21 PM »
Stamped concrete has become wildly popular around here.  Many people have their entire driveway done in a pattern similar to the pictures above.  However, I don't think it looks as good as the real thing (though I'd gladly trade the appearance disparity for a maintenance-free patio or driveway) and I have my residential snowplowing customers with stamped concrete sign a waiver, as a plow can wreak havoc on a non-smooth surface.