Author Topic: Vietnam War Memorial (possibly) vandalized  (Read 1481 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Vietnam War Memorial (possibly) vandalized
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 03:43:23 PM »
Either vandalism, or a jet flying over did a fuel dump or had its mixture WAY too rich...or even had a hydraulic leak.

They'll decide when they figure what it is. 

If it's vandalism, hopefully they'll publicize the name of the perpetrator. I have a feeling they'd accidentally run into some biker vets or somesuch soon after.

There was just this one in MA on the 5th. MA, yeah, well...it's MA. Lots of nasty leftists there, unfortunately. If I saw someone doing this, they'd definitely be hurting.

Vietnam Veterans Memorial defaced
Crystal Bozek and Michelle Morrissey

Many veterans in town were disappointed to learn last week that someone had vandalized the town's Vietnam Veterans Memorial, requiring the 15-month-old memorial to be sandblasted Wednesday.

"We know that in no way does this reflect how the community feels about our veterans," said Michael Burke, director of veteran services.

The lyrics of a 1970s protest song and a reference to Iraq were scrawled on the monument in the Park. "War, what is it good for, absolutely nothin'," was written in red marker along with a peace sign.

The lyrics are from "War," a song that Motown soul singer Edwin Starr popularized in 1970.

Near the base of the memorial where the phrase "our cause is just" is etched, a vandal wrote "just like in Iraq."

The markings were made with some kind of felt marker, which soaked into the stone, Burke said yesterday. Methuen Monument is helping the town repair the memorial, which was dedicated May 29, 2006.

While there was no structural damage, "the stone does need to be sandblasted," Burke said. He was not sure how much the work would cost, if anything, but said the town was grateful to the Methuen business for stepping in to help.

Police Lt. Harry Collins said the vandalism was under investigation.

Burke said this week he has talked to several veterans and longtime residents, and that no one could remember something like this happening in Andover.

"This is a disappointing event," he said. "This is an anomaly. If someone does have opposition, there are other ways to vocalize that."

In Haverhill earlier this summer, vandals ruined parts of a Korean War Memorial and spray-painted a World War II monument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 04:10:21 PM »
I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that that area, the Mall, monuments, everything, is restricted airspace. No overflights at all.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 04:23:34 PM »
Interesting that the Washington Times, and only the Mooney, er, Washington Times immediately jumps to 'vandalism.' Why bother waiting for a determination by the authorities?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 04:33:02 PM »
Did the other papers offer any theories? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 05:06:57 PM »
Not that I've noticed - they just quoted the same people as the Mooneys about an oily substance and whatever it is being cleaned up.

As an act of vandalism, it makes no sense. A clear, odorless, impermanent substance on a small portion of the Monument?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 05:17:51 PM »
What they do not smell is iocane oil.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 05:28:44 PM »
What the paper doesn't say, but which I seem to remember, is that over the past several years monuments at a number of National Parks, including Antietam and Gettysburg, have been vandalized when someone has poured an oily substance on them.

Related or not? I don't know.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 02:53:41 AM »
I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that that area, the Mall, monuments, everything, is restricted airspace. No overflights at all.
I think DHS and the Military get to fly around that area.
But when an aircraft dumps fuel, it becomes vapor within 1000' vertical feet. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 04:56:37 AM »
Interesting that the Washington Times, and only the Mooney, er, Washington Times immediately jumps to 'vandalism.' Why bother waiting for a determination by the authorities?
Uh, there was no jumping (to conclusions) needed:
The U.S. Park Police are investigating suspected vandalism at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on the Mall.
"We are investigating to see if there was any criminal act or if it was an accident," Sgt. LaChance said. "We don't have any indication that it was intentional, but we are investigating to see if it's a possibility."
A headline such as, "Memorial Vandalized" would be jumping to conclusions.  So far, vandalism is a possibility...which was intimated in the article title.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 04:58:17 AM »
Of course, if it is proven to have been deliberate, you'll see the difference in the allegiance of the papers.

Washington Times will call it vandalism.

Washington Post will call it a protest statement. 

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 10:00:34 AM »
jfruser,
"We are investigating to see if there was any criminal act or if it was an accident,"
does not equal
"The U.S. Park Police are investigating suspected vandalism at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on the Mall."

Washington Post will call it a protest statement.
It would be fun to ask how 'protest' and 'vandalism' are mutually exclusive - but I think it would be more fun to ask where and when the Post has ever championed desecration of American momuments, whether as acts of protest or simple vandalism.