Author Topic: Quizno's Subs  (Read 25186 times)

Paddy

Quizno's Subs
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:40:57 AM »
Anybody else eat these?  I'm starting to get addicted.  Way better than subway.

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
Re: Quizno's Subs
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:43:49 AM »
Not me, baby.  A real, true American buys his subs at Sheetz.  You must be some kind of pinko. cool
If you want to eat commie subs why don't you move to North Korea? cheesy
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:46:04 AM »
I never heard of 'Sheetz'.  I thought that's what happened after you eat at Taco Bell.

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 11:47:04 AM »
I don't think of either one as better, just different.  Subway does the whole "Look fast food that isn't deep friend nastiness that will kill you" thing, which I appreciate, and Quizno's is more of a gourmet style appeal.  Subway sandwiches are way easier to eat on the run, but Quizno's has more flavor (and probably a lot more fat and stuff too!).  I eat at both as the occasion permits.

Paddy

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 11:47:41 AM »
A Sheetz sandwich?  Now that's funny  laugh  As in 'Joe Demko eats Sheetz sandwiches'  grin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 11:48:51 AM »
Sheetz is a large gas station/convenience store chain that offers burgers, sandwiches, etc made to order.  They're very tasty.  They're kind of like a nicer 7/11.

Chris

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 11:54:18 AM »
Good ingredients, but too much bread for me. If they don't toast it enough the bread usually seems a little stale.

Aside from the local deli I've been hitting up 2x-3x a week for years, I like Potbelly's and Fire House Subs. Never gotten an under-toasted sub from either and the ingredients are leagues better than Subway.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 11:56:15 AM »
Sheetz has some good stuff! I stopped at some in PA. Their subs were very fresh, and the touchscreen ordering prevented mistakes.

I don't like Quiznos too much. I looked at their nutrition information, and just like all fast food, their stuff is a hell of high-fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils and other garbage. The "sauces" are all HFC and trans-fats. And LOADS of salt. Even their bread is full of bad for you stuff.

Ick.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
Here I am, stuck in MN, where we have either Subway, Quiznos, or the local grocery store deli subs. There might be some better alternatives in the metro area, but that's a little far to drive for a sandwich. I have noted that Subway is attempting to emulate Quiznos to some extent.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Joe Demko

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 12:00:05 PM »
Yep. Mtnbkr knows them.  They got their start in Altoona PA, not very far from where I grew up.  In the 80's, when they first started expansion, they offered hotdogs with toppings at 2 for 99 cents.   They've been continuously expanding and upgrading their stores and product line ever since.  Now you can get burgers, hot sandwiches, cold sandwiches, breakfast muffin sandwiches, subs, several kinds of hotdogs, and other foods from their menu.  All of it quite tasty.  They also, in their newer stores, have coffee bars where you can get Starbucks-style drinks without the pretention.  Now get this: the whole entire chain is wholely owned by the Sheetz family.  No franchises.  Every store is their personal property.  This translates to one of the cleanest and most consistently good places to eat on the road that I've ever known.  Plus they carry the usual line of stuff that you find at convenience stores and their gas prices are good.
Suck that, Quiznos.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 12:04:01 PM »
I wish they'd put a Sheetz in NH. It'd do really well, too. There's lots of those Mobil on the Run places, and they're always busy despite having nothing but premade junk.

Paddy

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 12:06:53 PM »
they offered hotdogs with toppings at 2 for 99 cents.

I hope they're better than 7-11 twofer hot dogs.  Last time I ate those I had the sheetz and pukies fertwo days.

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 12:08:43 PM »
And really guys, it's not fair to compare Subway and Quizno's to local outfits or privately owned shops.  It's like comparing In N Out to Wendy's, or a Kia to a Lexus.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 12:10:42 PM »
7-11 hot dogs have been rotating on those cosmoline-caked rollers probably for a month or more. I can't believe you'd willingly eat one.

Joe Demko

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 12:17:31 PM »
While Sheetz is privately owned, it's pretty far from local.  They're all over PA, OH, WV, MD, VA, and NC.  They have a pretty good website.  http://www.sheetz.com/main/index.cfm

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 12:19:20 PM »
To anyone who's never been in one, Sheetz I'd been to were sparklingly clean and brightly lit with fresh food and friendly workers who knew what the hell they were doing.

It was the polar opposite of the typical stop-n-rob with a sleepy, bored clerk who doesn't care and outdated, stale food produced by machinery elsewhere.

Paddy

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 12:19:34 PM »
7-11 hot dogs have been rotating on those cosmoline-caked rollers probably for a month or more. I can't believe you'd willingly eat one.

These were in the bunwarmer thingy, packaged in foil wrappers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
Welcome to the fold, Riley.  Subway is the Wal-Mart of sandwich shops.  Or should I say the McDonald's? 

No Sheetz or Potbelly or Firehouse around here (Saint Louis).  Penn Station or Quizno's  is usually the way to go, other than mom & pop delis.  Branching out from subs a bit, we have Saint Louis Bread Company (Panera) or Einstein Brother's Bagels. 

I tried a Lenny's Sub Shop the other day.  I didn't like it too much.  Anybody like those?  Should I give them another try? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 12:25:47 PM »
mmm, forgot Panera Bread and the Atlanta Bread Company. Don't get to eat at those as often as I like.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 12:27:39 PM »
I guess I've been spoiled by Cousin's Subs, which is local. Best subs around.

I thought I'd like Quizno's, but there was something funky about the dressing they put on their sandwiches.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 12:27:47 PM »

Are you kiddin'?  shocked  That's a feast fit for a king!  Especially with the pseudo-cheese and -chili that has that gloppy, half-dried out sauce booger right at the beginning.  A couple of dogs with extra scoops of whatever hasn't completely set solid in the condiment bins, a bag of Cheetos, and a quart of chocolate milk is guaranteed to set you right.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 12:30:22 PM »
Hey, Brad, you wanna hit the White Castle with me?   cheesy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 12:34:49 PM »
Hey, Brad, you wanna hit the White Castle with me?   cheesy

Wish we had one.   undecided

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 12:35:56 PM »
mmm, forgot Panera Bread and the Atlanta Bread Company. Don't get to eat at those as often as I like.

Check out the nutrition information. A lot of their sandwiches are 600-800 calories and something like 45g of fat.

Yes, they're worse than eating a Big Mac.

I thought I'd like Quizno's, but there was something funky about the dressing they put on their sandwiches.

That's cause the sauce is a mix of high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup solids, and partially hydrogenated oil. With some natural and artificial flavor.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 12:39:14 PM »
Shut up, Jared!  Tongue