Author Topic: Quizno's Subs  (Read 25190 times)

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Re: Quizno's Subs
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 12:40:56 PM »
Hey, Brad, you wanna hit the White Castle with me?   cheesy

Ahhh...  The infamous sliders.  Glad they finally built one by me.  Didn't have one for 10-years after I left the Detroit area.

OTOH, Tubby's Subs are pretty good too...
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2007, 12:42:12 PM »
Hey, I'll happily eat a hamburger, (I love good hamburgers), it's just that I have no idea how Panera manages to make a panini sandwich have more fat and salt than two hamburgers...fried burgers, yet. With deepfried pickles on them.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2007, 12:45:46 PM »
I have no idea how Panera manages to make a panini sandwich have more fat and salt than two hamburgers

Nor do I, but God bless them for it.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2007, 12:46:28 PM »
I dunno nothin' about anyone's sauces. I can't stand mustard/salad dressing/etc.. Truth is, my favorite sandwich is fresh bread, a few slices of turkey and a thinly sliced bit of provolone.

FWIW, the Panera sandwiches I'm looking at are 350-400 calories, which seems to be about par for the course.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2007, 12:47:23 PM »
I don't see a panini listed at over 440 cals (with mayo - yech)
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2007, 12:48:55 PM »
Oh you big wussies, grousing about something so delicate as a hamburger.  You want a man sandwich?  How about a Monte Cristo ... a double-decker ham and cheese with mayo that is battered, deep-fried, and served with jelly.  The only thing that would make it any better is if it had bacon on it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2007, 12:49:32 PM »
I don't see a panini listed at over 440 cals (with mayo - yech)

Look again on the info for each one. At the top.

HALF PORTION. Smiley

That's half the sandwich! Like with a soup and sandwich. So if you get a full Frontega Chicken sandwich, it's 880 calories, 42g of fat, 78g of carbs, 8g saturated fat, and 2300mg of sodium!  shocked

No wonder Americans are turning into waddlers, huh?

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2007, 12:53:44 PM »
Ha, didn't notice that. Mayo probably accounts for 100 of that? I guess the fancy bread eats up a lot of calories.

I like all these places for the taste, rather than any perceived health benefit compared to fast food. Though I doubt my style of plain sandwich is doing much harm.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2007, 12:58:59 PM »
Actually, half a sandwich at Panera is a pretty decent lunch all by itself.  Get some free water from the fountain, and you're eatin' good for under three bucks.  Your prices may vary. 

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2007, 12:59:57 PM »
The most calorie-packed sandwich I ever had was a fried peanutbutter, banana, and crumbled bacon sandwich served with mayo on the side.  Apparently Elvis Presley was fond of something similar.  It was very good, but I could feel my arteries sealing shut with every bite.  Washing it down with huge flagons of beer and having a smoke afterwards didn't help, I'm sure.  Luckily, I wasn't in training for the Olympics.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2007, 01:51:11 PM »
Aside from the local deli I've been hitting up 2x-3x a week for years, I like Potbelly's and Fire House Subs. Never gotten an under-toasted sub from either and the ingredients are leagues better than Subway.

Potbelly's is good stuff. There are a couple around Milwaukee. I've only been there once, but it was good.

I usually get sub sandwiches from Cousin's, as mentioned by Monkeyleg. They're pretty good, and it doesn't help that there's one a half a block from campus.
Andy

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2007, 01:52:44 PM »
In N Out

Stop it. I ate at the In N Out's while I was on the West coast. Hit one in Kingman, AZ and Barstow, CA.

Really, really wish we had them in SC. The fries were divine, the burgers great, and it didn't hurt the wallet.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2007, 02:24:11 PM »
Oh you big wussies, grousing about something so delicate as a hamburger.  You want a man sandwich?  How about a Monte Cristo ... a double-decker ham and cheese with mayo that is battered, deep-fried, and served with jelly.  The only thing that would make it any better is if it had bacon on it.

Brad

I love those.  I hate to admit this, but I would eat one with bacon on it.  Maybe I'll ask nest time I get one.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2007, 02:26:51 PM »
Ahh, sliders.

Slide over a slide some money to the cashier, he slides them over to ya... slide into the car, slide one out of the bag (box) and slide it right on down your throat.

Then slide on home, 'cause your intestines will be slidin' away in a few hours.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2007, 04:21:25 PM »
I like Jimmy Johns better than Quiznos and Subway.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2007, 04:38:42 PM »
I drive past one of those every once in a while, but never at lunch time.

Another forgotten goodie: Baker Bros. American Deli. Amazing 'eggspun' bread that I'm sure manedwolf would frown upon. (nb: based on my apparent knowledge of sandwich chains, it might appear that I'm pushing 400 pounds - I'm not, really! I just have to eat lunch on the road every day and try to rotate through all the sandwich spots I can find.)

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2007, 04:53:17 PM »
I was stationed in New Jersey from 85-86. One thing I miss about New Jersey is the subs and pizza; I lived near several deli/sub shops run by real Italians. Cold subs, hot subs, they made the best. Tasty meats, nice cheeses, hot peppers, and fresh hard crust Italian bread. Damn they were good. I loved all of those Mom and Pop sub/pizza places. All were really good and reasonably priced. That was the first time I really ate subs. We really didn't have many sub shops in when I was younger in Minnesota 25 years ago. I don't know why.

When I came back to Minnesota in 1986, I almost cried when I had so called "subs" from a place called Clark's Submarine sandwiches. Bad. Very bad. I remember a place called Big Mike's Super Subs that was pretty good in the late 80's. It was as close to a good sub as you could get in Minnesota. I think they're called Milio's now, but they aren't as good as Big Mike's.

I eat at Subway when I have a coupon, because I don't think they're subs are worth full price. Quizno's are good, but way overpriced. Sometimes I eat at Cousins, Potbelly, and Jimmie John's, but I think I like more local small chain places the best. Pizzaoli and Erbert's & Gerberts are pretty good.

None are as good as those New Jersey subs. I went back to New Jersey a few years ago with my girlfriend; we hit a few of those local Jersey sub shops. She liked them a lot as well.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2007, 04:55:55 PM »
Amazing 'eggspun' bread

Challah bread?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2007, 06:07:53 PM »
Jimmy who?  I think they have one in Urbana, about three long hours from here.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2007, 06:08:55 PM »
I don't eat subs unless I'm home in South Jersey.  Having the good fortune to be in a family that owns a deli, I've pretty much been spoiled as far as subs go.  If it's not made with bread from one of two Atlantic City bakeries, it ain't worth eating.  I truly pity you guys eating Subway and Quizno's.  Man, if we ever needed a pukie smiley, now is the time.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2007, 06:17:25 PM »
I like Quiznos (Prime Rib sandwich), Schlotzkys, Galligaskins, Grinder Man (Grinder), and the Primo Italiano in the Safeway deli.

Galligaskins and Grinder Man Ive only seen in one metropolitan area each, but they set such a high standard for your basic cheese and salami sub that I cant stand Subway or Cousins.  I dont like Arbys, either, although I dont think of them as a cheese and salami place so much as a roast beef place.

Ive never been to White Castle, although Ive seen them.  Sliders ?  The term I heard associated with Castle was belly bombers, not in a bad way.

Monte Cristos are good.  You wouldnt think they would be, but they are.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2007, 06:30:29 PM »
I don't eat subs unless I'm home in South Jersey.  Having the good fortune to be in a family that owns a deli, I've pretty much been spoiled as far as subs go.  If it's not made with bread from one of two Atlantic City bakeries, it ain't worth eating.  I truly pity you guys eating Subway and Quizno's.  Man, if we ever needed a pukie smiley, now is the time.

I hope you need the Just Kidding smiley, Mr. SnobbyPants. 

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2007, 06:57:25 PM »
I like Jimmy Johns better than Quiznos and Subway.

There's a Jimmy John's two steps off of Marquette's campus. I've been there a few times. Not bad, but I prefer Cousin's. Might just be that individual shop though. 
Andy

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2007, 07:37:39 PM »
Lightweights, all.

Whole ham muffaletta from Jason's Deli or a pastrami and swiss on rye from Schlotzky's.

Of course, it can't compete with the muffaletta from the old Fertitta's Grocery on Allen St. in Shreveport, LA.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2007, 07:53:27 PM »
Preparing for an all-nighter in college in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, involved walking down the street to the Sheetz, getting two dogs with everything they had behind the counter and the largest Mountain Dew  fountain cup you could find.

Thus armed you were up at least until 10 the next morning.

A few years later I was working in Lewistown. They had two Sheetz there, and were just coming out with their MTO (Made To Order) sandwiches. A lady doing a survey for Sheetz called me. Just a quick survey... OK, but it has to be quick, I have stuff on the grill outside. She started asking question after question after question... "I'm almost done!" My answer to virtually all of them was no, because I had never tried an MTO at that point. Finally, after she kept saying I'm almost done, I simply hung up. She called back and started giving me a ration of crap for hanging up. I hung up on her again. After dinner, I walked down the street to the Sheetz and got the contact information for the corporate office. Next day I actually end up talking to the CEO of the company. He was very perturbed and I ended up getting a bunch of Sheetz gift cards, around $100 worth, IIRC.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.