Author Topic: Quizno's Subs  (Read 25189 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Quizno's Subs
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2007, 07:56:36 PM »
Cosine, I remember when Cousin's opened their first store on Brady and Farwell. About 1972 or so.

They packed their sandwiches so full that there was no way you could eat them without dropping something on the table or floor. They were huge.

I don't suppose you're old enough to remember Surburpia, are you?

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2007, 09:14:45 PM »
Norfolk, Va had it's share of sub/pizza places. They were all pretty decent. Seems like the East Coast has the best and widest variety of sub shops.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2007, 04:49:03 AM »
I like Quiznos (Prime Rib sandwich), Schlotzkys, Galligaskins, Grinder Man (Grinder), and the Primo Italiano in the Safeway deli.

Holy cow, I haven't thought of Galligaskins in years.  I loved that place.  Are they still around in Dallas?

e.t.a: Yep, I found one on Camp Bowie in Ft. Worth.  Hopefully, I can swing by there when I'm in town next month.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2007, 05:09:22 AM »
Jimmy who?  I think they have one in Urbana, about three long hours from here.

http://www.jimmyjohns.com/

Actually I really miss the sub place in Cedar Falls and Waterloo, Iowa called Sub City. I had numerous lunches there while working on my BA and MA. I try and stop there when I am visiting or passing through town.

Iowa City, IA and the Quad Cities has a place called Hungry Hobo that has some tasty subs, especially if you like vinegar on your sub.

Here in Ames we have two mom and pop places that have awesome subs. Downtown Deli which serves slim type subs and West-street Deli which is more like a sandwich shop than a sub joint with bizarre yet tasty sandwiches. Both are owned separately and not related.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2007, 05:14:58 AM »
Miami Subs. Apparently they're some other places, too.

Awesome steak sandwiches and many other things. They might not be as good anymore since they're now part of a "food service group". Tongue

Another good place is Cheeburger Cheeburger. Very flavorful, if insanely-sized burgers.

http://www.cheeburger.com/locations.asp

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2007, 05:33:35 AM »
I haven't thought of Galligaskins in years.  I loved that place.  Are they still around in Dallas?
You are correct, the Dallas - Fort Worth area is the only place I've seen them.  I haven't been back in DFW in quite a while.

The stores had flyers on their walls telling the customer about themselves, and I believe they said they originated back in Boston or thereabouts.

Great sandwiches, very tangy with those banana peppers (as I recall) they threw on.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2007, 07:22:38 AM »
Subway is the Wal-Mart of sandwich shops.

Probably explains why there's a Subway shop inside our local Wal-Mart.   grin

We have a Cousin's, a Milio's, a Jimmy John's, a Quizno's, and of course, the aforementioned Subway in my little town.  Then I head south to Madison...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2007, 12:42:44 PM »
Well, I'll be.  There are about four Jimmy John's in my area, one that's not far away.  Thanks, Charby.

Do they serve any alcohol? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2007, 12:49:20 PM »
Well, I'll be.  There are about four Jimmy John's in my area, one that's not far away.  Thanks, Charby.

Not here in Ames they don't, they serve sandwiches, chips, cookies and soda. I imagine nowhere else a Jimmy Johns serves alcohol either.

All the sandwiches are awesome..  my favorite is the Italian Night Club, a pickle and Vinegar and Salt potato chips.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Paddy

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2007, 12:52:04 PM »

Do you want alcohol, or do you want to stay away from places that serve it?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2007, 12:52:34 PM »
We have the chains here in Virginia, but I've yet to find a REALLY good independent sub shop of the kind that were readily available when I lived in Pennsylvania.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2007, 01:34:54 PM »
Thanks again, Charby.  I'll try it as soon as I can. 

Do you want alcohol, or do you want to stay away from places that serve it? 

The latter.  I hope we can leave it at that, so as to stay on topic.  If you want to talk about it, we could get into it on another thread.  But then, this is your thread already.   smiley   

Changing the subject.   
Anybody know Moe's Southwest Grill?  One just opened up here.  Great place. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2007, 01:52:36 PM »
fistful

Also they come as described on the menu, they don't ask what toppings and condiments you like, so be prepared if you don't like something or are allergic to tell them when you order.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2007, 02:34:07 PM »
Which Wich has the best setup - you walk in and mark up your order on a sandwich bag w/ a Sharpie. No 40 Questions about what you want and don't want.

Never realized how many sandwich chains there are in the Metroplex. Never been to Galigaskins for some reason.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2007, 03:27:22 PM »
Few years ago I went into Quiznos and then, like Manewolf, I found out what trash Quiznos puts in their food!  Have not gone back.

There's a Subway across from my office.  The girls usually make a run there if I do lunch.  Had a 6" turkey on wheat with all the veggies today and Sunchips.  Got to love fiber (or I will tomorrow).

My favorite sandwhich is a bison burger at Lafayette Brewing Company a few blocks from my office.  http://www.lafayettebrewingco.com/  Don't eat a lot of red meat, but when I do bison or ostrich hits the spot!!! grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2007, 04:06:37 PM »
Which Wich has the best setup - you walk in and mark up your order on a sandwich bag w/ a Sharpie. No 40 Questions about what you want and don't want. 

Now that makes sense. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2007, 04:45:34 PM »
You sub sandwich fans would weep to live in the Seattle area.  For whatever reason, subs are not especially popular or common here.  Subway and Quizno are the two major chains, and even they have relatively few stores around here.  There are very few independent sub shops and I wonder if it is because they cannot make a living selling sub sandwiches to tactiturn Scandanavians.  But when I go back East on business, sub shops are all over the place.  Interesting.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2007, 05:44:49 PM »
Has anybody else here even heard of Penn Station?  I love that place. 

Oh, I mean the sandwich shop, not the railroad station. 

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2007, 05:55:05 PM »
MillCreek,

If you have Safeway grocery stores in your area, don't overlook that Primo Italiano in their deli.

Plenty of meat and cheese, some sort of country-style Italian bread, plus the two killer ingredients:

1) peppercinas

2) some sort of butter and olive spread

Number 1 is tangy in a briny sort of way, and complements Number 2, which is buttery and on the sweet side.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2007, 05:57:44 PM »
Changing the subject.   
Anybody know Moe's Southwest Grill?  One just opened up here.  Great place. 

Burrito joint.  Not bad, but I like Chipotle (even though it is owned by McDonalds) and Rubio's better; Baja Fresh, too.

Moe's burritos are usually too salty for me.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2007, 06:05:05 PM »
+1 to Potbelly's and Jimmy John's.  Also to Chipotle's.  Not a big Moe's fan.  Their guac was terrible.

Subway is good when you're on the road and don't want to eat anything heavy.  Quizno's is also tasty, but I prefer JJ's or Potbelly's.

However, my favorite subs come from a place in Michigan called Captain Nemo's.  I think there are six of them, scattered throughout southeastern Michigan.  Their sandwiches are divine.

If anybody reading this is around SE Michigan, look them up.  Try their corned beef sub.  I have never had juicier corned beef.  Their turkey club is also fantastic, despite being loaded with fat and cholesterol.  They also have breakfast subs.

Every time I go home to Michigan, I try to go at least twice.  It's a 20-minute drive there, but so worth it.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
Their guac was terrible. 

Guac is always terrible.  Like sour cream, it was invented by Satan to ruin good Mexican food.   smiley

Actually, I just like Moe's because it is the only place I can get something approaching a real fajita.  I mean, there's places I could go where the meat is brought to the table sizzling, but those would be actual, sit-down Mexican-themed restaurants.  And I don't patronize those for the afore-mentioned reason that I'd rather not bring up again, lest I get us off-topic. 

And I so love fajitas.   sad

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2007, 07:59:50 PM »
"Guac is always terrible."

Change your avatar. Such a pathetic individual doesn't have the right to use a REAL man as an avatar...

All together now...

AD HOMINEM!

angel
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2007, 08:31:52 PM »
Waaaah!  Mike adhominemed me.  Where's my crybaby emoticon?  Waaaaaah!  Better watch it, or I'll send Chris Crocker after you! 

Change your avatar. Such a pathetic individual doesn't have the right to use a REAL man as an avatar...

I thought that had been obvious all along.   smiley

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2007, 08:53:11 PM »
Guacamole always reminded me of what was on the bottom of my Yellow-Naped Amazon parrot's cage.   undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"