Author Topic: McCain--Guiliani Bad for Guns--How Ironic  (Read 6052 times)

Waitone

• friend
McCain--Guiliani Bad for Guns--How Ironic
« on: September 21, 2007, 01:57:09 AM »
I find the irony overwhelming.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/McCain_Giuliani_guns/2007/09/20/34472.html
Sen. McCain to Go After Giuliani on Gun Control

Thursday, September 20, 2007 9:28 PM

Republican presidential candidate John McCain lobbed a thinly veiled attack at fellow rival Rudy Giuliani, describing the former mayor's "devious" attempt with a lawsuit "to bankrupt our great gun manufacturers."

Giuliani said he preferred to focus on the lion's share of issues on which he and the National Rifle Association agree.

Sen. McCain, R-Ariz., and the former New York mayor are among several officials speaking Friday at a National Rifle Association conference.

In his prepared speech, McCain refers to a lawsuit by Giuliani and other mayors against the gun industry, to Giuliani's shifting Second Amendment position and to Giuliani's use of the term "extremists" in relation to the NRA.

"My friends, gun owners are not extremists; you are the core of modern America," McCain said in the prepared remarks. "The Second Amendment is unique in the world and at the core of our constitutional freedoms. It guarantees an individual right to keep and bear arms. To argue anything else is to reject the clear meaning of our founding fathers.

"But the clear meaning of the Second Amendment has not stopped those who want to punish firearms owners  and those who make and sell firearms  for the actions of criminals," McCain said.

He mentioned "a particularly devious effort to use lawsuits to bankrupt our great gun manufacturers."

"A number of big-city mayors decided it was more important to blame the manufacturers of a legal product than it was to control crime in their own cities," McCain said.

Ironically, a federal court in New York will hear arguments Friday on the lawsuit Giuliani filed as mayor against gun makers and distributors over violent crimes involving guns.

Giuliani said Thursday he doesn't comment on pending lawsuits.

"I think right now, the best approach is to focus on what can be done at the state and local level to deal with criminals who use guns, given the level of crime in this country and what's happened with it, as opposed to where we were maybe 10, 12 years ago," he said at a news conference in northern Virginia.

"What's needed in this country right now is to focus on people who use guns and use them illegally," he said.

Giuliani said candidates sometimes disagree with interest groups.

"Tomorrow, when I go before the NRA, I'm going to emphasize the areas in which I think there is a great deal of agreement," he said, adding that he would outline those commonalities on Friday.

Borrowing a phrase from President Reagan, he said, "As I've said many, many times, my 80 percent friend is not my 20 percent enemy."

© 2007 The Associated Press.

© 2007 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Len Budney

Re: McCain--Guiliani Bad for Guns--How Ironic
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 03:33:35 AM »
I find the irony overwhelming.

You're surprised?
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 10:03:10 AM »
Yeah, I was wondering, how the heck can McCain scold Guilianni when he is just as bad?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 10:16:01 AM »
Republican presidential candidate John McCain lobbed a thinly veiled attack at fellow rival Rudy Giuliani, describing the former mayor's "devious" attempt with a lawsuit "to bankrupt our great gun manufacturers."

That's almost as funny as Kerry "crawling around on the ground" whilst deer hunting.

Now that campaigns are ramping up they all want to jump in bed with the NRA. Pathetic.

I could never be a politician. I'm not that much of a hypocrite. rolleyes
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 01:19:43 PM »
This just in: pot calls kettle black.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

brer

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 03:24:27 PM »
Beat me to it StandingWolf.

Neither has good grades as far as gun rights go.  Neither has good grades as far as rights in general go either.

I really do not know much about Rudy.

McCain has a lot of credibility, and I believe he is one of the few honest politicians out there.  But he is not for me.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 01:39:49 AM »
Rudy went out of his way to be worse then his friends the Clinton's when it
came to imprisoning poor people for enjoying their 2nd Amendment rights.
He will relish filling the prisons with people who believe The Bill Of Rights means what it says. angry
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 09:26:05 AM »
And I still get a chill when I think about Mitt Romney saying - in the same breath - that he supports the Second Amendment and a ban on assault weapons.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 09:29:33 AM »
And I still get a chill when I think about Mitt Romney saying - in the same breath - that he supports the Second Amendment and a ban on assault weapons.

I just wish someone in the Republican party would have the stones to point out that crime in MA and in Boston, Lowell and other MA cities in particular has gotten out of control, going up in every year since Romney signed the AWB and other legislation. Meanwhile, crime in the adjoining states with supposedly lax gun laws is really, really, really low!

Some Boston suburbs like Dorchester, Roxbury and Mattapan are total freefire zones...a visit by some VIPs to a grandmother that got shot was cancelled because there was another shooting in front of the same house while they were en route! This despite a near-total ban.

macadore

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 03:28:09 PM »
I just found this place through a reference in THR. Help me understand the problem with McCain. Im not bating anyone, I honestly do not know.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 10:27:48 AM »
RE:  McCain and Second Amendment Issues

A few years ago there was a political flap over the so-called "Gunshow Loophole" whereby, it was alleged, criminals could buy copious quantities of firearms and bypass the whole federal control system.  McCain proposed legislation to plug the so-called loophole.  It proved to be in my opinion the single most stalinist piece of legislation I'd ever read.  If you want the full monty go back to THR and TFL and do a site search on "gunshow loophole".  It was quite the topic in its day. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

macadore

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 02:52:55 PM »
Thanks Waitone. I just did what you suggested. What a nightmare. It look like a good year to vote Libertarian.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 03:32:34 PM »
Welcome to APS Macadore!

And take it from a guy from AZ, McCain is bad on a lot more than guns. angry
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.