Author Topic: N.Y. Drops Citizenship Proof For Driver's Licenses  (Read 7223 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
N.Y. Drops Citizenship Proof For Driver's Licenses
« on: September 22, 2007, 07:53:12 AM »
http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_264172034.html
(CBS) NEW YORK They were celebrating outside the governor's office Friday as Eliot Spitzer handed a landmark victory to a half-million illegal immigrants.

The state will no longer require proof of citizenship for driver's licenses.

"We're changing our policy with respect to getting more people out of shadows and into the system so people don't hide they're here," Spitzer said.

He said the current restrictions on non-citizens have filled the roads with unlicensed drivers five times more likely to get into accidents.

But the also called it a matter of justice.

"As long as I'm governor we won't pretend they don't exist, cut them off from society," Spitzer said.

But the action triggered a bitter response from some 9/11 family members, who said the governor would be providing identification for potential terrorists.

And a Brooklyn state senator says he'll try to overturn the decision.

"This governor has chosen to give the keys to the city, the keys to the state to terrorism," Golden said.

As for the public, it's clear that people have strong feelings on both sides of the issue.

"I dont think if you're here illegally you should have the same privileges people who are here legally do," office manager Cliff Hoffman said.

Added legal word processor Bill Slater: "I think illegal people are getting a free ride. I don't think it's fair to other hard-working citizens who do work hard."

Planning consultant John Madden said the move is also a pre-emptive strike against another type of potentially hazardous driver.

"The problem is they're gonna drive anyway," Madden said. "You might as well make them legal drivers with insurance."

The new rules will start to kick in at the end of the year, unless someone finds a way to put a halt to them.

Under the new policy, the Department of Motor Vehicles will accept foreign passports and birth certificates from immigrants as proof of identification. They will no longer need to provide a Social Security card.

"The problem is they're gonna drive anyway," Madden said. "You might as well make them legal drivers with insurance."

What makes you think they'll get insurance?

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: N.Y. Drops Citizenship Proof For Driver's Licenses
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 08:19:59 AM »
Ask anyone who's been hit by an illegal. The illegal vanishes, and the person who got hit has to have their insurance pay the bill, with the resultant rate increase.

As for the terrorists, NYC isn't going to learn till it's in flames. But what can you do? Tongue

I just feel sorry for upstaters with this decision. NY is a really big state with a concentrated bit of stupid at the bottom.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 09:01:40 AM »
We have a relatively small number of self-important, law-defying, America-scorning people pushing this crap down our throats.  How long before there's a reckoning?  I'm just asking.  How long will The People be mocked?

Spitzer has the chutzpah to talk about this as "justice?"  Justice requires spine.  He's just another rich boy with a law degree and an inflated notion of who he is.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

slzy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 01:16:44 PM »
is there anyway to get an injunction against this?

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 01:55:22 PM »
Next up:  voter registration via driver's license.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 02:57:52 PM »
But what can you do?
We can't do anything, BUT the Feds could cut their Federal Funding.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 03:33:37 PM »
What a peculiar thing - a community (or at least its elected officials) decides certain federal laws no longer apply within their boundaries. Behold the balkanization of a once great country and civilization, along cultural and political lines.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 03:43:38 PM »
If they decide that federal law doesn't apply to them and can openly defy it, why can't we suddenly decide that federal law doesn't apply to us, and start making machine guns for fun at home?

Ahh, because THAT would be stomped. Selective enforcement is quite telling, isn't it?

slzy

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 05:18:23 PM »
if you live in ny and need something done about your dl,better do it now. there are illegals moving as we type to ny,w/o a word of english that will spend days at the dmv. dmv offices will soon look like refugee camps.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 05:52:05 PM »
if you live in ny and need something done about your dl,better do it now. there are illegals moving as we type to ny,w/o a word of english that will spend days at the dmv. dmv offices will soon look like refugee camps.

Then at least we'll know where to send the Migra
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 07:43:28 PM »
what fed law are they breaking?

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 07:52:57 PM »
what fed law are they breaking?

I am no lawyer but it seems to me that if being in the country illegally is a crime, using a false identity, and voting while not being a citizen is another crime, then providing legal documents helping those crimes is "aiding and abetting". When politicians do it for votes, it becomes conspiracy to commit electoral fraud, which is a crime as well. At the very least, providing such documents is a serious impediment to national security and when done for personal advantage (e.g. by pandering politicians), is tantamount to high treason.

As an aside, we live in curious times when behavior that is clearcut treason is encouraged rather than severely punished. Just one of the symptoms of systemic failure of the body polite.

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 07:57:01 PM »
i looked  can't find a law that require citizenship for license.  or even one that require you have legal status

slzy

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 05:02:45 AM »
for a test,show up at a ny drivers testing station or send a new driver and see how far you get.

the illegals well parade around in circles guessing at the multi choice questions till they get them right.

what are the laws concerning foreign nationals and pass ports? anyone here travel abroad with out one,or a visa?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 05:31:13 AM »
Missouri is now requiring a birth certificate just to renew a driver's license.   cool   police
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

slzy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 06:01:36 AM »
wonder if ny dls will still be valid as id? is the governor going to make sure the iranian prez gets one while in town?

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 06:24:51 AM »
As for the terrorists, NYC isn't going to learn till it's in flames. But what can you do? 

Let it burn.

I just feel sorry for upstaters with this decision. NY is a really big state with a concentrated bit of stupid at the bottom.

What is it about money and the East Coast that makes people so dumb?  Oh yeah, Hillary and Guiliani.

This sounds like a NY Democratic play to get some votes from one of the states with the most electoral votes.  It's either a direct Hillary play, or a RINO Guiliani play, whaddya think?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 06:50:40 AM »
IMO, the west coast still has more dumb people than the east. A LOT of CA's coast is infested with bleating drum-circle leftists, but the east coast's problem is confined to a few smaller areas. ME, NH, VT and most of upstate NY are full of good people, even western MA. The stupid is concentrated in places like Boston and NYC.

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 03:09:50 PM »
anyone quote the fed law broken by the granting of a license?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 03:15:40 PM »
The one that says that if someone violates federal law, you arrest them, don't give them a license.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 10:04:31 AM »
Next up:  voter registration via driver's license.

Yep; guess they were running out of dead guys to vote for em and turned to illegals.

anyone quote the fed law broken by the granting of a license?

Uhh, the immigration laws? You know, that's why they're called illegal immigrants; too selfish to bother going through the process to come here legally.

If they decide that federal law doesn't apply to them and can openly defy it, why can't we suddenly decide that federal law doesn't apply to us, and start making machine guns for fun at home?

Ahh, because THAT would be stomped. Selective enforcement is quite telling, isn't it?

Wasn't there a case in Alaska where a guy making his own multi-boomers was ruled to be outside fed.gov jurisdiction since he wasn't engaging in "interstate commerce?"
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 04:34:47 PM »
so i hearing  or rather by the lack of a law cited not hearing that in fact there is no federal law being broken by the act of granting licenses?  are you fellers taking the stance that you want the states to engorce for the feds?  you want them doing that just in this narrow instance cause it suits your agenda?  or you gonna sign on for the states helping the atf and irs etc on everybody.  be careful what you wish for  the genie once outa the bottle might spoil your fun

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 07:54:47 PM »
We can't do anything, BUT the Feds could cut their Federal Funding.

I expect that the AG's office will soon announce special restrictions and screenings for anyone holding a NY Driver's license, anytime they try to board a plane or cross a border.

This was the threat that prevented Licenses for illegals passing into law here in California.

OTOH, maybe this will convince our illegals to head East.  We have plenty to spare.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 09:53:17 PM »
so i hearing  or rather by the lack of a law cited not hearing that in fact there is no federal law being broken by the act of granting licenses?  are you fellers taking the stance that you want the states to engorce for the feds?  you want them doing that just in this narrow instance cause it suits your agenda?  or you gonna sign on for the states helping the atf and irs etc on everybody.  be careful what you wish for  the genie once outa the bottle might spoil your fun

I don't think you're quite getting it. Technically, if someone comes in and is an illegal alien, if you help them with something and ignore the fact that they're in violation of federal law, you're aiding and abetting a felon.

Hm. That might be a good angle to use on this. Arrest people who help them dodge the law!!!

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 10:13:32 PM »
you have to know someone is committing a crime. sadly for your "cause" darker skin isn't probable cause  nor is an accent.  but maybe you can work out something   gold star maybe?