Author Topic: New standard hand position for driving?  (Read 5289 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: New standard hand position for driving?
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2007, 12:57:17 PM »
And yet, despite my being trenchantly difficult, you've still failed to prove your assertion that by leaving the bumps on the steering wheel that the automakers are exposing themselves to massive liability.

Then there's also the concept that that inert piece of plastic has to be fabricated, which involves at least one, possibly several, very expensive sets of custom manufactured injection molding dies.

Trenchantly difficult. I think I just found my new signature line.

And spite? Hell, I don't even know you, why should I try to spite you?

Still, my original contention remains -- the American automotive industry, even today when "innovation" is supposely the watchword -- is so pathetically hidebound that it's almost impossible for it to change quickly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 01:02:55 PM »
Careful, Mike, you almost sound like Riley.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 06:48:35 PM »
Mythbusters tested the 10-2 airbag thing a while back and determined it wasn't a significant risk.   

Chris

True and correct, but Detroit didn't get the memo. Any of you old enough to remember muscle cars (and that era) or who go to cruise nights to look at the old iron must remember that "back in the day" the spokes of a steering wheel were generally either at 9:00 and 3:00 or 10:00 and 2:00.

Look at just about any airbag-equipped vehicle today and you'll see that the "spokes" (or whatever passes for spokes) are now neatly positioned at 8:00 and 4:00. It's a really horrible position for car control, especially in an emergency, but that hardly matters since most drivers today don't drive so much as aim while sipping, chatting, applying makeup, or checking the morning stock reports on the way to work. They couldn't possibly return their attention to the road in time to take evasive action in an emergency anyway, so it's more important to position the hands low, where the airbag will push them safely down, than to have them high where they may be smashed against a window or even pushed outside of the vehicle if the driver's window is open.

Personally, having survived a couple of serious accidents with seatbelts and having driven in competition with REAL seatbelts, I'd put my faith in good belts before trusting an airbag any day.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 07:32:09 PM »
I only use one hand and the other is in the bag of fries or on the soda I just got from the fast food place !!    grin
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »
Is it bad that I don't pay attention to where my hands are on the wheel? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Paddy

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2007, 08:24:53 PM »
I dunno.  I usually steer with my knees 'cause I'm drinkin' Starbucks, talkin' on the cell. shaving and finding a CD all at the same time.  So I don't use a hand position.

This is the most ridiculous thread yet.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2007, 04:50:17 AM »
And yet, despite my being trenchantly difficult, you've still failed to prove your assertion that by leaving the bumps on the steering wheel that the automakers are exposing themselves to massive liability.

Then there's also the concept that that inert piece of plastic has to be fabricated, which involves at least one, possibly several, very expensive sets of custom manufactured injection molding dies.

Trenchantly difficult. I think I just found my new signature line.

And spite? Hell, I don't even know you, why should I try to spite you?

Still, my original contention remains -- the American automotive industry, even today when "innovation" is supposely the watchword -- is so pathetically hidebound that it's almost impossible for it to change quickly.

I wasn't asserting that by leaving the bumps on the steering wheel, they were exposing themselves to  massive liability.  With no assertion, there is no proof required.  I specifically said "I would expect...that if there was credible evidence...a major car manufacturer would have done away with the bumps rather than face consumer outrage...".  That's all.  I was expressing an opinion.  Apparently mine stinks just as much as yours does.  And since when have you needed to know someone in order to argue intransigently with them about something of no mean importance?

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2007, 05:03:28 AM »
I dunno.  I usually steer with my knees 'cause I'm drinkin' Starbucks, talkin' on the cell. shaving and finding a CD all at the same time.  So I don't use a hand position.

This is the most ridiculous thread yet.

I've seen more ridiculous threads, but I can't remember when.

It doesn't matter what all of you experts say, people are going to put there hands where they want to.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2007, 05:25:02 AM »
Sergeant Bob,

It wasn't meant to be ridiculous.  I was asking a question about a driving technique that's being taught to my daughter.  It's a technique that I was not familiar with, and it seems counter-intuitive and potentially dangerous, so I wanted to know if anyone else had experience with it, one way or the other.

If it's a valid technique, then I want to teach her to use it.  If it's not, I want to teach her otherwise.

What's ridiculous about that?
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 09:24:54 AM »
I have been driving with one hand around 8 for years.  I normally have my fingers split around the spoke.  Smiley  My old S10 blazer had a groove rubbed into the spoke where my fingers sat.  I am left handed so driving with my left hand comes natural I guess.

I move it up or go to two hands pretty quick if I have to do some maneuvering, but I can drive with one hand just fine.  I agree that new drivers should learn a set way that gives good control to start with.  I don't care what it is, as long as it works for them. 

To me, eyes open and alert is more important than hand placement.  If you are paying attention, you should have plenty of time to react.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2007, 09:51:51 AM »
I use the 12 O'clock position- right hand on the wheel, left elbow resting out the open window. I get clausterphobic if the driver's window is closed even in winter time. Been driving like that for years, I've never been too slow to maneuver around a potentioal accident. Part of my problem is that I don't eat in my truck and I don't own a cell phone, so I occupy myself with watching the raod and cars around me while driving.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2007, 11:47:22 AM »
Even though I was taught 10-2, I usually rest my right hand on my right thigh, and hold the reins - er, I mean steering wheel - with my left hand.  grin

Dang pickup doesn't respond to seat or leg cues worth a darn, though  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2007, 12:38:07 PM »
I was taught right hand on the wheel, left hand out the window flipping off the buttmunch who just cut me off...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2007, 03:54:19 PM »
I wasn't there when they invented 8-4, but I imagine it went like this:

1 - "Hey, if I have my hands here, will the airbag hurt me?"
2 - "I dunno, probably"
1 - "What if I put them down here, at 8 and 4?  That's good right?"
2 - "Yeah, you still have two hands on the wheel, so it's just as good!  Plus, the airbag won't hurt your hands!"
1 - "Do you think that the fact that people who were driving since before our parents were born have always advocated 10 and 2 should give us pause?"
2 - "No, I was raised with an over-inflated sense of self-esteem by the public school system."
1 - "Me too!  Screw 'tried and tested', we have a new idea!"
2 - "We are so special!"
1 - "Yeah, lets teach as many people our new idea as possible!"
*1 and 2 high-five*
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2007, 03:55:13 PM »
Sergeant Bob,

Nothing ridiculous about it at all. I was just responding to Riley's ridiculous reply with an equally ridiculous reply of my own.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Paddy

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2007, 03:57:51 PM »
Sergeant Bob,

Nothing ridiculous about it at all. I was just responding to Riley's ridiculous reply with an equally ridiculous reply of my own.

I call your ridiculous and raise you a nobody cares.  laugh

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2007, 04:09:29 PM »
I must have missed some sort of driving lessons. You mean your supposed to have more than one hand on the wheel? I usually only have one hand on the wheel about 50 percent of the time. I mean common you have to hold the phone, adjust the air \ radio, drink coffee, and smoke. police

I think I need to learn to park with my knee. grin
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2007, 05:46:57 PM »
Oh Jeebus, you should all have your "guy status" ripped from you. Everyone knows if you're a guy, it's right hand at 12 o'clock, left arm leaning out the window, or left hand 12 o'clock, right arm on armrest, center console, or fiddling with the radio.  grin
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2007, 09:37:43 PM »
Oh Jeebus, you should all have your "guy status" ripped from you. Everyone knows if you're a guy, it's right hand at 12 o'clock, left arm leaning out the window, or left hand 12 o'clock, right arm on armrest, center console, or fiddling with the radio. 

And just how am I supposed to do that with the spinner knob which is racheted on at about 9:45?  (Keeps the left elbow out the window while the right arm snakes across the bench seat so you can ...........)

Or did all you Mario Andretti wanna-be's take that spinner knob off when your older brother finally gave you his ride because he bought that new Olds 88?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2007, 02:05:00 AM »
I find interesting that both my 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP and BrokenMa's 2007 G6 have handy ergonomically-designed grip points at 10 and 2 (and the 2008 models have kept the feature).  I would expect that if there was credible evidence that 10/2 caused or increased the likelihood of injury, a major car manufacturer would have done away with the bumps rather than face consumer outrage at the fact that Little Johnny was encouraged to hold the wheel wrong by GM's ergonomic design, and as a result the airbag launched his arms into orbit.

For that matter my car has the wheel supports at the 8/4 position, so I can't really take that position if I tried.  I'd end up not being able to curl my fingers even a little to take some of the weight off. 

At least in my car it's a particularly unergonomic position.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2007, 08:03:09 AM »
One hand at 10, one hand at 2, one hand on the stick shift, one hand resting on the window sill, and the last one returning the bird to guy in the enviro-mobile with an "Impeach Bush", "DU", and NPR bumper stickers that just cut me off because I have an NRA sticker on my car.

I'm outta hands to put anymore at 8 and 4.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

nico

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2007, 09:00:49 AM »
Also... race car driving schools teach knowledge that isn't exactly always appropriate to new 15-16 year old drivers.  I'm sure that a BMW Z4 roadster is more road responsive and nimble (and easier to dodge an accident) than a 10 year old Chevy S10 Blazer, but what are you likely to give your new driver?
As someone who attended my first driving school at 17 and started autocrossing less than a week after my 18th birthday, I've got to take issue with that.  There is nothing about basic high performance driving that doesn't apply to driving on the street.  Using your example, it would take more skill to avoid a wreck in the S10 than in the Z4, so why give your kid a double handicap by not teaching them how to really drive?  If skills like skid control, looking ahead, and throttle/brake modulation were part of compulsory drivers' ed., instead of harping on meaningless BS like "10 and 2," when you're required to use your headlights, or how far before a turn/lane change you have to turn on your turn signal (all topics I remember from drivers' ed), there would be a lot fewer accidents and people would be much better drivers.

I'd give 8-4 an honest evaluation.  With modern power steering, the supinated arm position just isn't that big a deal IMO.
I do agree with that.  Like I said above, rigid "rules" like "10 and 2" or "8 and 4" are completely meaningless.  Your hands should be in a position where you're comfortable and can react quickly if necessary. 
fwiw, I'm 5'1" and my hands are generally at ~9 and 3.  I was taught that when approaching a turn, you should adjust your hands so that they will be in the same position (ie: 9-3) when you're making the turn.  I'm not a fan of shuffle steering.  If my car starts to oversteer and I have to go from making a right turn to full lock to the left, I just can't do it fast enough with shuffle steering and I don't know many people who can.