Author Topic: Best gun industry companies, politically?  (Read 7245 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Best gun industry companies, politically?
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:25:01 AM »
So I've been thinking that in the war on the 2nd, some gun makers have been better then others. We all know the negative examples I'm sure, but I'm thinking of guys like Ronnie Barrett who've really put their money where their mouth is about freedom. Who else out there in the industry is walking the walk?

From the Barrett FAQ
Are Barrett rifles legal to own or possess in my state?
That depends. You may live in a jurisdiction that restricts caliber, or magazine capacity. First, we recommend that you elect politicians that will change those laws. If you cant do that, then we recommend that you move to an area that obeys the constitution. But in any case, we dont offer legal advice on what you can or cant own. Check with your local law enforcement official.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Re: Best gun industry companies, politically?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:38:28 AM »
I wish I could afford to support Mr. Barrett.  angel

Personally, I prefer my weapons made in America, and will give preferences to gun makers that make their weapons domestically, when their quality is what i'd expect from an American company.
The fact that Smith and Wesson, for instance, has the "lawyer lock" on their revolvers bothers me less than it does others. 
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 10:55:22 AM »
The lock on Smiths are annoying; however, when I worked at a gun store the Smith rep told me some of the background behind them caving. If his info is true then I'm at least a bit mollified regarding the decision. Still won't buy em new tho. And much as I loath Bill Ruger's actions that facilitated the AWB mag ban, he dead, you know?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 11:24:56 AM »
IMHO, the best "industry" company out there is an outfit called Bogardus Communications...

No anti employees or shareholders, and all shareholders and employees are shooters.

(grin)

www.creativeaccuracy.com

Blog under construction

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 01:24:27 PM »
The lock on Smiths are annoying; however, when I worked at a gun store the Smith rep told me some of the background behind them caving. If his info is true then I'm at least a bit mollified regarding the decision.

Care to share this?  I'd love to know a/the story.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 01:31:58 PM »
According to the rep (and Mike Irwin may be able to verify this) at the time of the lawsuits S&W was owned by a British company. Apparently (and this is the part I don't know the accuracy of) the parent co would have had to post ~$1 million bond for each lawsuit filed against it because they aren't located in the states. And there were dozens of lawsuits.

Dunno if it's true or not, but I do know Smith was bought out by a small AZ co called Saf-T_Hammer or some such. So the group that caved to the lawsuits isn't in charge or profiting from sales anymore.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 03:01:02 PM »
I wish I could afford to support Mr. Barrett.  angel

Personally, I prefer my weapons made in America, and will give preferences to gun makers that make their weapons domestically, when their quality is what i'd expect from an American company.
The fact that Smith and Wesson, for instance, has the "lawyer lock" on their revolvers bothers me less than it does others. 
Which is why for a while I've thought Barrett should make some more income friendly arms.  I'd love to see a handgun line.  Or even a rifle line in intermediate caliber.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 05:24:14 PM »
http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_468.aspx

$2700 ain't cheap, but it beats a .50 in affordability.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 06:07:42 PM »
I actually didn't want to say that I wanted them to make an AR style set of rifles, but I was certainly thinking it.
But whew...2.7k...
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 07:44:57 AM »
I think it may be a branding issue. If you're Mercedes you have a rep for making expensive cars. It's part of why people buy your product. To start cranking out mini-MErcedes that sell for $15K would undermine your brands position as a luxury car maker. Just good business really.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 07:47:48 AM »
True indeed.
But it wouldn't be like they're making cheap stuff.
Just stuff that was cheaper. =p

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 08:45:28 PM »
"So the group that caved to the lawsuits isn't in charge or profiting from sales anymore."

Except that when Saf-T-Hammer bought Smith & Wesson, they also bought the agreement, lock, stock, and barrel.

And, in the what, 5 years that they've owned the company, they've not lifted a finger to get out from under the agreement despite having a government far more inclined to do so than the Clinton administration.

Yes, Saf-T-Hammer is to be lauded for it's "Head In the Sand AND Up the ass at the same time" Award.

The agreement is dormant, not dead.

"Apparently (and this is the part I don't know the accuracy of) the parent co would have had to post ~$1 million bond for each lawsuit filed against it because they aren't located in the states. And there were dozens of lawsuits."

In the 7+ years since the agreement was signed, this is the FIRST time I've ever heard that claim. Simply put, I don't buy it.

Couple of reasons.

First, a $1 million bond has an actual cash purchase value of FAR less than that. You don't have to plop $1 million in cash into an escrow account.

Second, S&W had millions in tangible assets (buildings, stock, cyclical inventory, machinery, etc.) that would be more than enough collateral to secure bonds.

I've talked to quite a few company reps over the years for a wide variety of companies. On the whole, they know their products in and out, but they generally don't know crap about the companies for which they work.

I can't tell you how many piles of made up hooey I had to step over when I was working for American Rifleman and talking to reps on a regular basis. As often as not I was telling them what was going on with their companies simply because they didn't read their own damned press releases.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Paddy

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 08:53:51 PM »
S&W just gets passed around like a dirty whore.  Buy a current production firearm from them at your own perii.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 04:05:49 PM »
Mike: thanks for the reply. I've been skeptical of those claims but never heard from anyone who might actually know.

Re: Saf-T-Hamr. They're the original patent holders of the locking device installed in Smiths these days. Before buying Smith they existed to try to get gun companies to install locks on their guns anyways. undecided

Saf-T-Hammer, a 3-year-old company which specializes in safety and security devices for firearms
http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2001/05/14/daily1.html