Author Topic: Please pray for strength for me  (Read 12245 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

Re: Please pray for strength for me
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2007, 03:21:10 PM »
damn seems quite a few friends of in here

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 03:49:14 PM »
Remember the Serenity Prayer when you hit a rough spot.

This is a slightly different version from the one I learned.  The normal quoted Serenity prayer is the first paragraph.

The Serenity Prayer
  God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

As far as recovery goes, my Dad ended up as a Skid  Row drunk in Houston TX before he hit rock bottom. 

He checked himself in to the Salvation Army Rehab Center for several months until he was clean and able to be on his own.  He lived clean and sober for another 27 years before he passed away. 

If he can clean up, you should be able to, also.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2007, 10:55:51 AM »
I'm using a fake username. Any of the computer experts coulld probably stll figure out who I am.

I've been a drunk for the last 25 years. Only my wife and my best friends knew. But the neighbors knew, because they saw me bringing a case of beer home every three or four days. And so the wife has had to take some of the abuse that my neighbors wouldn't say to my face. "How come your husband has beer in his car all the time?"

Its reached the point where I have to stop. I have an appointment with an addiction therapist on Monday.

I'm really looking forward to the appointment. I guess I'm hoping that he will tell me something easy, but I guess not. I know it won't be easy.

I'm not looking for sympthay. Just a few prayers that I can be strong enough to beat this.

So, how did it go ?
Are you making progress ?
Did our prayers help, and if so how about a little update so we can
hope for those who are going down the same way....

Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

NobodyForNow

• friends
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2007, 07:05:09 PM »
Things are going good, at least for now. I haven't had a drink all week.

The addiction counselor wanted to have me check into a detox center. But I would probably lose my job if I did that, or at least have people around me talking. The counselor talked to my doctor and they arranged some meds for me to be on during the detox period. Not sure if detox is over yet, but it feels like it. I didn't have any major shakes, just sweaty hands and feeling like I drank sixteen cups of coffee. But that went away.

I've been drinking so much water and orange juice that I'm going to the bathroom every fifteen minutes.

The worst part has been not being able to sleep. It's hard to think at work.

My family is really happy about this, but I tell my wife that it's one day at a time. Still, she's really happy.

I really didn't think about drinking until I was driving home from work tonight. I was running low on orange juice and I thought I should stop at the 7-11 to pick some up because I didn't want to drive there later when I was drunk. Then I remembered that I didn't have to worry about that because I wouldn't be drunk! Then I started thinking about all of the things I couldn't do before because I would be too drunk. Now I can do them!

I'll see the counselor again on Monday. I don't know where things go from here. I'm sure he'll tell me what to expect. I'm hoping that the withdrawal period is the worst but I'm sure there's other stuff that happens.

Thanks for all your prayers.

esheato

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 08:03:13 PM »
I don't know where things go from here.

Why, they continue going up of course. It sounds as if you have a great start on leading a sober life. Congrats!

Ed

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2007, 06:29:25 AM »
I hope that in addition to the doctor and counselor, that you are going to Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meetings.  Many people have stopped drinking by just going to AA and not having a counselor because they counsel each other.  Also, you only use your first name and there are no registration forms, just walk in and be willing to admit to a bunch of recovering alcoholics that you are one of them.
AA is useful and they take donations from the members, not dues.

I wish you well, and am praying for you.

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2007, 06:43:10 AM »
don't be afraid to ask for phone numbers. if i get the urge i can call someone and talk it over. and to quote my lil brother on his 2 year sober anniversary to me" i knew if you could get sober anyone could"  smart mouthed kid but he made a good point.spent 2 decades in a haze  last 5 years never drew a sober breath    15 years of sober gets better and better

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2007, 08:57:33 AM »
Just keep doing what you are are doing one day at a time.  We all are praying for you.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

NobodyForNow

• friends
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2007, 01:48:54 PM »
I talked to the counselor last week about AA. I told him that I'd rather not go to AA unless he told me that I should. I gave him my reasons and he said that a lot of his clients gave him the same reasons. He said that we could try going without AA and see what happens.

My brother was in AA for years and he said that he would be my partner if I wanted.

If it turns out that I need AA, I'll do it.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2007, 02:04:57 PM »
Congratulations on making it this far, and good luck to you on the rest of the way.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

jlyent

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2007, 03:07:53 PM »
great work! adding my prayers for your continued sucess. you CAN do it!! jim

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2007, 03:59:58 PM »
It'll be hard, but you can do this.

You may find, in fact, it's a relief to walk away from the horrors. Best of success to you, eh?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2007, 04:32:41 PM »
If it turns out that I need AA, I'll do it.
To me it sounds like your fearful of something as far as AA goes.  Don't be afraid of the "Higher Power".  It won't hurt you.  Also, to me, it sounds like you are still trying to hide your problem even though you posted it on here.  I say that because you changed your name here, and it sounds like you have only openly confessed your problem to your wife and your counselor.
You might run it some friends in there that you thought were going to some other type of meeting when they couldn't do something on a certain night.

Check this site out.  http://www.aaonline.net/

I was surprised when I went to a 12 step meeting and found my brother-in-law and his wife there.   

One step starts the longest journy.  Any minute you can start a new life.
You may not be able to not drink for 6 months, but you do not have to a drink today.  One Day At A Time.

NobodyForNow

• friends
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2007, 07:00:32 PM »
I'm not afraid of what AA does. If that's what the counselor thinks is best, I'll do it.

As for hiding things, I've told my wife, my brother, and close friends. For the time being I don't want my problem broadcast on a public forum. When the time is right, I'll be ready to confess that I was a drunk, just like so many other people here have done.

Paddy

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2007, 07:37:52 PM »
I can tell you this much.  I first got sober in 1973.  I was 27.  I remained sober until 1975. My girlfriend at the time was a druggie and her drug of choice at the time was valium.  She left them on the coffee table, and that pissed me off.  I looked at her, grabbed what was on the table and swallowed it.  20 minutes later I was on my way to the liquor store.  Before the night was over, I had kicked in a door, got into 2 fights, and got beat up by the LAPD (which I richly deserved, btw).  I then stayed sober and drug free for the next 30 years, thanks to AA.

I began drinking earlier this year (2007) and so far, it's under control.  In fact, it's a PITA. A little buzz and I feel like *expletive deleted*it the next day. No addiction, no desire to continue.  I can take it or leave it, BUT, the fact remains that I am most assuredly an addictive personality. I can get hooked on nearly anything.  Is that alcoholism?  Who knows?  But I can say that an affiliation with AA and adherence to their principles can only have a positive outcome.

God Bless You!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2007, 05:44:32 AM »
Coincidentally...one of the local pastors around here used to have a problem with alcohol.
I've been trying to get into contact with him to help us out with a family member and found his site.
http://www.dtministries.org/about/testimony.htm
That's his story...funny how things work out like this, isn't it?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2007, 07:26:08 AM »
i hope you find , like me, that it was much harder to stay drunk than get sober. it took way more work to stay messed up than i put into staying sober

armchair warrior

• friends
  • QuickDraw on THR
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2007, 06:53:26 PM »
When I first got sober,I HAD to have bottled Calistoga around
at all times.Had to have something in my hand besides a beer.
Trust me,a lot of people already know of your problem.
Besides,no one is going to say"nyah,nyah,your getting sober!". laugh
Most people will look on it as a good thing.Theres never anything
wrong with bettering ones self.
AA is good because you can talk about it without worrying about
how its going to be taken,laughed at or chastised.
Whatever you choose,I wish you luck and will have a good thought
for you. smiley

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2007, 07:09:47 PM »
how its going to be taken,laughed at or chastised.
Laugh?
Laughing?  You want laughing?  Jokes?
Rehab is for quitters.  Badump TISH.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2007, 08:45:51 PM »
My father says to beware of AA... Too many "court-ordered" drunks... They meet at AA, and go out and get stupid. Ohmigawd - back in the eighties I met a girl (an actual "beauty queen") who was going to AA meetings so she could meet Mr. Right and Wealthy, and hook up... Sigh...

Reading your original post...

A case of beer every 3-4 days?

You don't have an addiction.

You have a habit. That's pretty much what is between "hobby" and "addiction."

Don't blow it out of proportion. There are folks who go into screaming withdrawal when they go without booze. You're still functioning. You either don't really have that much of a problem, or you caught it as it was worsening. Either way... Oh yeah - keep in mind that some of your social worker counselor types will try to make things seem worse - they're out of a job if it isn't...

Yeah, breaking habits sucks. You're a man. You'll deal with it. It's what you do. Just keep telling yourself that you're the toughest thing since that steak down at Bubba's Charcoal Pit, and you'll do okay. Just don't get buzzed. You probably already have at least one hobby... Spend that $25-30/week on reloading components. If you don't already handload, gimme a yell, and I'll UPS you a press.

But I digress...

You've realized that you have a... let's call it a tendency. And you've found the urge to remove it. Fine. We're there for you.

But at the same time, there are worse off folks. I don't think that hitting meetings will be a bad thing for you. But what's better, I think it'll give you an opportunity to mentor some poor SOB who is having SERIOUS problems... Go out and help someone. Not just in "not drinking" but in life skills - a lot of folks don't really know how to do life.

Not to be all deity like, but it just sorta came to me that this was the case, and heck if I'm not gonna go ahead and type it, and piss some Higher Power off...

Okay... No zzzzap... No zzzzap....

Blog under construction

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2007, 05:22:15 AM »
Bogie wrote :

"A case of beer every 3-4 days?"

I keep thinking the same, but then I don't know how much a case is,
and which beer ? If a case were twentyfour little cans of 4% Budweiser
and it would take you 3 to 4 days to empty those then we're talking a silly habbit and probably a sagging beer gut but not an addiction.

Now if a case was 48 big cans of colt45 then you would be an alcoholic (and disgusting btw).

But do whatever makes you feel better and if you'll get more out of life staying sober  more power to you, and please don't care about your busybody neighbours....   

Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2007, 05:44:07 AM »
I may have to disagree.  If he/she has those 3-4 beers because they want them, then y'all are right.

If he/she has those 3-4 beers because they HAVE to have them, then, we have the making of something bigger.

I never did the AA thing either.  I'm just not into the group thing.  I'm lucky that I have a supportive Wife.  I work the *expletive deleted*it out in my head.  Those days I still have the urge, I tell her, and she helps me through it.

Some people do need the group thing though.  If you don't think it's for you, don't do it.
One day at a time.

Paddy

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2007, 05:57:45 AM »
Ex-MAhole is right.  It's not how much you drink, it's how it affects you. For example, 'normal' (non-alcoholic) people don't particularly care whether they have a beer, a soda, or an iced tea, for example.  They may order a beer or glass of wine with dinner and not even finish it.  An alcoholic, OTOH, usually cares very much; usually won't just have one; and usually won't leave a drop in the glass.  It goes deeper than that, but you get the idea.

A person who is not 'alcoholic' usually does not wonder whether he/she has a 'problem'.  More often than not, it's the other way around; a stone cold alcoholic will deny he/she has a problem long after it's clear to everyone else around.

When someone declares themself alcoholic, you can pretty much rely on that. Especially if you don't know them and don't live with them.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2007, 06:10:38 AM »
I denied it for years.

It took me blacking out for about 11 1/2 hours and almost cutting my finger clean off to get my head out of my ass.
One day at a time.

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2007, 06:23:05 AM »
and bottom is different for different folks
i ended up in the house of many doors twice as a young man for drugs and booze. never slowed me down 12 years later wasn't even drinking as much as i used to and only smoked pot i hit bottom and gave it up