Author Topic: Who really doesnt watch TV?  (Read 9693 times)

Wildalaska

• friend
Who really doesnt watch TV?
« on: March 03, 2005, 07:09:23 PM »
I mean, I watch some sports hit a movie, the history channel...

but like I havent looked at a sitcom or one of the dramas of comedies or other  crap that pasees itself off as entertainement in god knows how long.

Maybe Im strange, but to me the quality of programming has deteriorated...even Discovery Channel is leaning left (and I'm a moderate)

Wonder how they make any money, or are the bulk of americans just TV wATCHING IDIOTS...

cOME ON CONFESS TV watechers..

WildholdingbackhisextrmerudenessAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 07:10:59 PM »
No time for TV. No patience. I just watch forum mem...err, fish swimming round and round in a bowl.

Black92LX

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 07:17:14 PM »
almost never. Except when it's new episodes of The Sopranos and Deadwood!
But my dreams they aren't as empty
As my conscience seems to be
I have hours, only lonely
My love is vengeance
That's never free

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 07:21:11 PM »
I just watch forum mem...err, fish swimming round and round in a bowl.

Nice...why does that giimme a visual of that 50s sci fi flick Dr Cyclops....bunch of shrunken humans in a fish bowl, the giant sized mad scientist with the forceps, no o god hes tryiing to fish me out noooooooooooooooooooo

Notice though how even the miniature 50s chick being chased by the mad monster scientist has one of those 50 rocketship bras, know what I mean :twisted:

WildheyilikethisplaceAlaska Wink
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

Taurus

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 07:26:53 PM »
I listen to tv more than I watch. It's all repeats, especially with cable tv. I devote much more time to the PC, reading or typing away on THR, generally  with reruns of police chases in the background, or the Military Channel.
J. D. White

Schuey2002

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 07:28:09 PM »
Ok, I admit, I watch TV. I shouldn't have stopped by a local big screen dealer the other day. I think that I'm hooked on HDTV!!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Hi-Def.. Yummy!  

Schuey_abouttobuyaHitachi51F150_2k2

_______

Edit: To prove that I watch "Le Tube", you can turn on any major new network and watch Martha pull a Midnight Run from prison..  Wink

spinr

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 08:11:52 PM »
I'm a T.V. whore...  :oops:

Yep, I admit it.  But I'm none the worse for it, really.

Yes, a lot of what's on is stupid and senseless, but it can be very entertaining.

It is what you make of it.  For me it's nothing more than simple entertainment.; a break from reality.

True, though, that many Americans put too much belief, faith, what-have-you into television.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 08:12:00 PM »
It it very rare that I watch TV.  I might catch some new on the TV at College while in the Student union. Mom usually has her TV when check on her.

I used my '79 model 13" Sony with Rabbit Ears to watch a movie , a video - usually something related to School or  Educational for me.

I dropped the TV and it broke. No plans to replace it any time soon.

Folks couldn't understand why I didn't pay for the TV when in the hospital, recovering at home...Commercials drive me nuts. More commercials than the actual show.

Even before my time was more filled than now attending College - I didn't watch it. I take IT classes, I use the computer and Internet for classes and everything else - including  communicating with folks.

I used to keep my phone ringer off too. Folks would email me to get off dial up ISP.  I don't really have a personal phone number now - so that little problem is even more less so.

I'd rather read, listen to the radio , music I like and use the PC and Internet.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 08:20:58 PM »
I watch TV a lot but rarely watch network TV.  Historical programming and Fox News gets most of my attention.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

spacemanspiff

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 08:22:03 PM »
i turn the tv on when i get home and it doesnt get turned off until i go to bed.

some of the shows i enjoy are:

carnivale
arrested development
family guy
futurama
mail call
screen savers
king of the hill
that 70s show
law & order svu
reno 911
cops
the shield

to name but a few. i'm really only interested in following carnivale at the moment. most other times i just have the tv on cause theres not much else to do.
Wear a Yellow Armband!

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 08:25:55 PM »
Spiff yer losing it

WildgimmeyerTVAlaska

tarrigoni

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 08:30:46 PM »
I don't watch much.  I do like the history channel and a very select few reality shows.  

I really liked Combat Missions the one season it was on.

Skunkabilly

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 08:34:21 PM »
No, but wish I could watch King of the Hill.
Ninja...vanish....

Hawk

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 08:34:59 PM »
Hardly ever.

If I hear of something I'd probably like a buy the DVD's and watch without ads a year or two after everybody else.

The RT thread on favorite Firefly episode sent me googling after Firefly - hadn't previously heard of it.

spacemanspiff

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 08:35:10 PM »
i need to find the emoticon that moons you, kenny-san. and no jokes about him needing two monitors to view my mooning, carebear!
Wear a Yellow Armband!

S_O_Laban

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 08:38:34 PM »
If my wife didn't turn on the TV in our house it would probably almost never get turned on.  The only TV that I watch is TV she  watches which really doesn't interest me....If I lived by myself I would probably catch a couple of hours a week mostly news weather and History or discovery channel.  If our TV quit I would be happy....

Old Fud

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 09:04:37 PM »
My interest seems to be fading.
First, I quit watching any of the major networks.
Then I quit watching any series -- didn't want to get locked to a schedule.
Then I only watched movies and occasional special events.

It just occurred to me that the only time I've had it on for the last 3 months was to watch a DVD.

Yet I got comcast -- I'm paying close to $90 a month for the "privilege" of extended basic TV plus a purty good computer hookup.

I may re-think my priorities and my economics over the next few months.

Fud
Change is Bad!

bratch

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 09:19:39 PM »
I watch 24 and Alias every week. I try to catch Family Guy, Futurama, ATHF but don't go out of my way.

tarrigoni

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 09:22:34 PM »
Skunk,

Why can't you watch king of the hill?  It's on FOX, isn't it?

Cool Hand Luke 22:36

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 09:49:09 PM »
I watch about 20 minutes a day of Fox News when I'm getting coffee in the am before leaving for work. That's about all the t.v. I need.
"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2005, 12:46:34 AM »
I do not watch TV very often. I liked some comedy(Simpsons, Family Guy) and some semi informational shows(History and Discovery channel) but that was about it.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Greg L

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 01:34:16 AM »
I don't watch a whole lot of network programing, 2.5 Men & According to Jim is about it.  We have a dish so Mythbusters, Reno 911, Discovery, History, etc do get watched.  Lately though it is just background noise while I'm cleaning up after dinner, or sitting at the computer getting stuff done (or goofing off at THR rolleyes ).

We do have Tivo (which I wholeheartedly recommend for anyone who does watch tv) which is nice as it allows us to watch what we want when we want to.  I never watch the shows during their "live" time slot.  This way I can just blast through the commercials & a half hour show only takes 20 min.  Plus I can pause if the dogs need to go out or the phone rings or nature calls.  The only downside is that I've gotten so used to it (or watching/listening to video/audio clips on the internet) that when I'm listening to the radio I often find myself reaching for the remote to rewind what was just said as I missed it the first time cheesy .

one45auto

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2005, 03:25:51 AM »
I hardly watch any television at all, in fact I haven't turned the set on for months. The only usage it sees is when my daughter comes over to visit. She's always asking me when I'm going to buy a larger set, because the one I have now is an old 12" color television. However as I've told her numerous times, I don't use one often enough to justify the cost. Besides, I find the living room less cluttered and my life more productive when I don't have a television.
"Love is the delusion that one woman differs from another."

~ H.L. Mencken

"I've never killed a man, but I've read many an obituary with a great deal of satisfaction."

~ Mark Twain

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2005, 04:32:05 AM »
I've got six kids and my wife and I decided about 2 years ago to ditch the T.V.  Too much sleaze and indoctrination that I couldn't control.  How could I ever raise close minded automotons with all of that outside influence?

We still own a 13" TV but we only use it for watching movies together as a family or for educational type viewing (we homeschool).  We don't have an antenna, dish, or cable.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2005, 05:32:27 AM »
I'm pretty regular about watching all three CSIs and Lost.  Other than that, I rarely watch TV.  I don't have cable or satellite.

If I'm at my parents' house or at the Inlaws' house, I'll watch History or Animal Planet, but I'm not buying cable just for those two stations.

Chris