Author Topic: Homophobes are afraid of the same?  (Read 31061 times)

Homophobes are afraid of the same?
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2005, 05:59:12 PM »
Quote from: Bemidjiblade
Mercedes, I'm with Preacherman about inherent complexity of the natural world indicating a creative force.  But I don't want to muddle discussions.

Have we already started another thread on that and I just missed it, or should I start one?
I am neither interested in, nor qualified for, debating creationism vs. evolution, if that is what you are asking. That is not a promise not to post in the thread, however. Smiley

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2005, 06:01:16 PM »
Quote from: Barbara
Not true. She doesn't have the right to choose the person she will marry or who will be her next of kin, both of which should be a fundamental human right.
Of course she does.  Every bit as much as I do.  If I wanted to marry my first cousin I couldnt do that (even though my religion allows it).  There are many restrictions civilly on who can marry whom and none of them has been a problem.
For inheritance, this is an issue with estates over $1M only.  Less than $1M and there is no inheritance tax.  Personally I favor scrapping inheritance taxes altogether.
This gets back to the issue that homosexuals dont want the same rights as everyone else (a canard, since they obviously have them) but they want special rights.
Let's say I have a close attachment to a male friend that is not sexual (and believe it or not not every close friendship has to involve sex), I would have the same issues as a gay couple.  The state recognizes "marriage" as occurring between two people of certain description.  The state has a compelling interest in doing so because the stability of society is at stake.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2005, 06:31:16 PM »
I agree that no one should tell anyone who they should love and accept.  But love and acceptance are different from marriage.

Societies throughout time have always discriminated when it comes to marriage.  Ours has as well.

We discriminate on the basis of relation:  You cannot marry your sister, no matter how much you two may be in love.
We discriminate on the basis of age:  You cannot marry a 12 year old, no matter how the two of you feel about it.  (In fact, most states that will get you life in prison if you try.)

We want our brothers and sisters, sons and daughters to be discriminating in marriage.  We don't want them to get into a marriage where they are harmed.  We don't want our boys to marry women who will run around on them.  We don't want our women to marry men who will beat or abuse them.  Marriage, as an institution, has always involved discrimination.  And if someone believes that homosexual relationships are damaging to the individual and society, then it is natural for those people to discriminate.

But such discrimination is not necessarily based upon fear or hatred, but a desire for what is best for society and for the individual.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2005, 06:37:36 PM »
Let's say I have a close attachment to a male friend that is not sexual (and believe it or not not every close friendship has to involve sex), I would have the same issues as a gay couple.  The state recognizes "marriage" as occurring between two people of certain description.  The state has a compelling interest in doing so because the stability of society is at stake
I have to agree with (what I think is) your premise that the issue is much broader than just the legal issue of gay "marriages".  Another example I can think of is my two Aunts who live with my widowed Grandmother - certainly if gay couples can marry, it leads to the question of why shouldn't they be able to marry so that one of my Aunts could carry company insurance benefits etc on the other two? They've been together for 50 odd years now, 37 since my grandad has died, why deny them marital "rights"?

BTW, I'm not neccessarily saying they shouldn't (or should) have marital rights, I'm just putting it out there as an alternate scenario for discussion.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2005, 08:50:44 PM »
SalukiFan,

Let me heartily welcome the title "heterosexist."  I do not object to it at all.  It is much prefferred to the inaccurate and insulting "homophobe."  I promise to answer the questionaire within the next couple of days.

RE:  homosexual marriage and civil unions

Saluki and others have expressed a desire to have the legal arrangements attendant on marriage for their homosexual partners.  However, if marriages or homosexual civil unions deserve such consideration, then other pairings or groups of people should not be excluded.  If they are, sex (or a romantic relationship) is made the basis of public policy in a way it was not previously.  Certainly homosexuals would not wish to discriminate against those who choose not to have a sexual or romantic relationship.  I suggest, then, that if civil unions are introduced, it must not be done in behalf of homosexuals only, and in fact should not be linked at all with sex or romantic love.

Allow me to present my:

Secular Argument against homosexual marriage and homosexual civil unions

Here is my thesis; critique away:

The law should not treat monogamous homosexual relationships differently than it treats similar relationships that do not involve sex.  

Or to put it another way:

If homosexuals do not want government in their bedrooms, then why do they want their sexual relationship to be recognized?

Supporting argument:

If we have no grounds to discriminate between marriage and homosexual relationships, then neither have we grounds to discriminate against other long-term friendships or partnerships.  Advocates of homosexual marriage, hereafter referred to as HM, say that married couples receive certain benefits denied to homosexual couples.  However, it would hardly be right to deny such benefits to other pairings or groups of people.  Such rights, if extended to homosexual couples, ought also to apply to friends or adult relatives who live together or can claim some other lasting bond.  To recognize HM is to say that any long-term sexual or romantic relationship is equivalent to marriage.  It is to bring sex into legal scrutiny in a way that marriage never has.  

Consider two fictional men named Jake and Ramon.  In a possible future which includes HM, Jake and Ramon have shared a house together for twenty years, but because they do not have sex with one another, or enjoy a romantic relationship, they presumably cannot enjoy the benefits of marriage.  Hector and Cecilia live next door, and they may get married even if they hate each other and never touch one another.  Why?  Because marriage is not the private behavior protected by the Lawrence v. Texas ruling.  Sex, love, romance; these are private.  Hector and Cecilia may partake of them as they wish.  Marriage is a public commitment, solemnized by religious and/or social recognition and supported by law.  

If the state has any reason, justification or interest in recognizing Hector and Cecilias relationship, it because it is expected that a man and woman living together will have children - a third party that did not agree to the union.  That marriages usually produce children differentiates them not only from homosexual relationships, but from all other relationships.  Only long-term heterosexual cohabitation could come close to having the potential to produce children that a marriage does  perhaps that is why these are often considered common-law marriages.  The state does not probe to find out whether a married couple loves one another or whether they have sex or children.  The state doesnt care, unless divorce occurs, and neither do we.  The minister who conducts their wedding ceremony may counsel them and may refuse to marry them if he finds they do not love one another, but this is the business of churches and other social groups.  It is not within the purview of a secular state.

Disclaimer:  I am not saying that the state should be involved in marriage, only that children produced thereby would be the only obvious reason for that involvement.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2005, 09:36:49 PM »
MercedesRules,

1.  As Mercedes is a feminine name, I will assume you are female.  Correct me if necessary.

2.  Labeling yourself an agnostic does not much help.  Do you mean that you don't know whether a god exists?  Do you mean that you believe in God, but that we cannot know about Him?  Or do you mean that you don't think there is a God, but aren't yet sure?  Anyway, I addressed that comment to Hunter Rose.

I said:

It is offensive for you to claim that disapproval of homosexuality leads directly to murder.  (Actually, genocide refers to genes, meaning the destruction of a race of people.  So, this could not apply to homosexuals, as a group.)
MercedesRules said:

Unless it's genetic. Calling Iraq "evil" led to its invasion.
No.  Genecide refers to killing people based on their ethnicity or race, not simply on an inherited condition.  No one has called Iraq evil.  Iraq's former regime was called evil and this led to Iraq itself being rid of them.  Saddam himself is still alive.  Hopefully not for long.  Unless you really are this obtuse, I must take you for a troller.  In any case, I have already explained that establishing moral standards has never led to the wanton extermination of all who fail to meet them.  Who among us would be left?

griz - "somebody who kills his spouse to collect on the life insurance has committed an immoral act by any rational persons definition."

It still looks like an assertion that anyone that doesn't agree with his argument is irrational.
No again.  He is saying that anyone who doesn't have murder on his don't list is irrational.  Unless you or others in this debate are OK with the murder he described, he has not accused you of being irrational, at least with that statement.

If you mean have I ever participated in a heated discussion where one side is opposed to homosexuality and the other is for it, you are correct - I haven't; that would be like a debate in which one side is against argon gas and the other for it.
Again, your obtuseness is simply grand.  To anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of the English language and the prevailing social conditions, "opposing" homosexuality entails believing that it is morally wrong.  The alternative is the view that homosexuality is morally acceptable.  I will use the term "disapproval" if that is easier for you to understand.  Can't shake the feeling a troller is playing with me.

I said:
As God has given us no direct list of our God-given rights, we democratically decide what those rights are.
MercedesRules said:
...so if tomorrow 51% vote to ship all gays to Antarctica, off they go!
No again.  This is so tiresome.  How do you think Americans decide what our basic human rights are?  We codify them by democratic processes.  In the case of your right to keep and bear arms, this right was secured, and can only be formally denied, by amending the Constitution.  That cannot be done by a simple majority plebiscite.  Similarly, citizens cannot be deported without due process by the means you describe.  

A state is the wrong hands for power.
I disagree with your moral judgement.  Ha!

To use an example from a friend in England, if you are occupying my apartment and there is contract stating that you have to pay me $100/mo to do so, it's pretty hard to say that you don't think it's necessary to pay me but O.K. to stay there. It's not "right" or ''wrong, "good" or "bad" - it's just not what anyone can see you agreed to. There is no "punishment"; either you pay up or you no longer have property rights yourself.
You don't think of the denial of property rights as "punishment"?  Nice system you have there.  I agree, though, that I would prefer to choose my own toilet tank.

Thanks for playing,

fistful

Ron

« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2005, 09:42:05 PM »
Most of the problems arise from the govrnment being in the business of granting licences for something that is a right.

If you want to enter into a relationship with someone you shouldn't have to ask the governments permission.  That essentually is what has happened to marriage.

The problem is with the statest regulation and financial underwriting of the "institution" of marriage.

If the public at large wasn't asked to give it's stamp of approval by including gay marriage in the governments tax schemes the problem wouldn't exist.

Give everyone the ability to have civil contracts with anyone of their choosing as far as inheritance, visitation etc..

Leave "marriage" to the churches.  Some churches will marry gay couples and some churches will not recognize them as legitimate.  It should have no bearing on issues regarding the couples legal arrangements.

Trying to force the public through judicial fiat to recognize something as normal or moral isn't going to work.  it needs to go through the slow meat grinder of the legislature.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2005, 09:56:28 PM »
Gee... can we have a discussion about homosexuality that DOESN'T involve religion? Sorry fistful, but talk of a Creator means religion. And the existance of a Creator has NOT been "scientifically proven", at least it hadn't been the last *I* heard...
Something wrong with religion?  Seems an obvious place to turn when discussing moral and social issues.  As I started the thread, I'll drag in anything I want, thanks.  

I did not say that science proved the existence of a Creator.  I will say that the all the evidence points in that direction, and strongly enough that only willfull blindness prevents belief.  To quote Christian apologist Hank Hanegraf,  "Belief in evolution is no longer tenable in an age of scientific enlightment."

Many here are strict libertarian in their views, and feel people SHOULD be allowed to harm themselves if that's what they want to do
Agreed.  I do not support laws against sodomy or homosexuality in general.  Neither do I support government endorsement of homosexual relationships, such as homosexual marriage.  See my above post.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2005, 10:12:43 PM »
Barbara,

You are way off.  No one here is saying that churches cannot marry homosexuals, or that homosexuality should be illegal.  You are supporting the government regulation of homosexual relationships.  WE, my side of the argument, is saying there is no justification for forcing we, the people, to recognize homosexual relationships by treating them as heterosexual marriages.

"Banning same sex civil unions"?  I think we have all supported the idea of civil unions, in one way or another.  

Regarding your remarks on Leviticus, such laws were intended for a Jewish theocracy (the ancient nation of Israel) that disappeared thousands of years ago.  The New Testament, though, specifically condemned homosexuality, adultery, and other sins, but without prescribing legal penalties.  Please make some attempt to understand the Bible and its followers before dictating to us our doctrine or our politics.

« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2005, 01:53:11 AM »
Leviticus is most often quoted since it has that lovely penalty attached.

I'd prefer there be no regulation of marriage at all except by clergy..but since heterosexuals continue to demand special rights, rather than equal rights, and nearly every argument boils down to either "God said" or "it makes me uncomfortable." Neither of these are valid reasons to ban state civil unions.

Gays do not have the same rights as any of us. If you want to marry your first cousin, you can do so in several states. In Alabama, the age of consent is 12, and the heterosexual who wants to marry when they are 12 but cannot has the option of waiting a year or to. Even more importantly, if you marry your 12 year old cousin and its legal in your state, that marriage must be recognized by all other states.

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #110 on: July 03, 2005, 03:58:55 AM »
The age of consent in Alabama is actually 16, everywhere I can find it.

There is no constitutional right to marry, as far as I know.  Therefore not allowing a relationship to be called marriage is not depriving someone of rights.  It is simply refusing to endorse a relationship.

No one is saying that homosexuals should not have the right to have long-term, committed relationships.  I will say that society is not bound by any means to provide that relationship with legal benefits and special protections.

Oh yes, Barbera, Leviticus is often quoted because it is the easiest to demonize and ridicule as old fashioned/out of date/ theocratic/ etc (which, even though I'm not a practicing Jew, I still find very intollerant).  Every instance of homosexuality in the Hebrew or Christian scriptures that I'm aware of either tacitly or explicitly condemns the behavior as immoral, and worthy of damnation.  Note:  This does not make it a WORSE sin than many others, but a sin nonetheless by the internal standards of the documents.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2005, 04:01:53 AM »
Barbara,

Please read post #105

All that stuff about twelve-year-old first cousins is nice, but I would like to marry my father and my sister and our dog.  The dog is spayed, and we're gonna have the sister operated on, too, so having kids with three arms shouldn't be a problem.  If my state will recognize our right to do this, do you think those other states will recognize our love for one another?

Seriously, though, you keep saying there is no reason to ban civil unions.  In truth, there is no reason to create special legal arrangements called civil unions just to please a small minority who insist on making life hard for themselves.  If we need civil unions, they should be available to all, regardless of sexual orientation.  Pardon me if I don't want to make laws based on who people are sleeping with.

« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2005, 04:18:22 AM »
Why do you assume I'm sleeping with anyone? Or I guess, that I'm sleeping with another woman? Or that I don't know the Bible or am not a Christian? What do these things have to do with my belief that liberty and basic secular freedoms should extend to all citizens?

If religion is the only reason to get married, then we should ban all civil unions, which is what a secular marriage really is, correct? There are already the arrangements..we just don't allow all citizens equal access to them.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2005, 07:09:28 AM »
Secular Argument against homosexual marriage and homosexual civil unions
+1 Fistful.  One of the best arguments I have seen that does not mention religion at all.

Some people have mentioned Leviticus and I want to address that.
I often point out that there is no word for homosexual in Hebrew.  There are words for homosexual acts (maasei S'dom--the act of Sodom, mishkav zachor--lying with a man) however and this is what is forbidden.  More specifically, sodomy performed by two men will incur the death penalty under the right circumstances.   This is so whether the two parties are "gay" or not.  Notice that other acts are not so stigmatized and that female homosexuality is an entirely different category.
In fact, as far as I can tell, the whole notion of people being "gay" is a modern construct.  In Sir Kenneth Dover's Greek Homosexuality he makes a good case that in that society homosexuals per se did not really exist: men did homosexual acts at different times intheir lives for different reasons.

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2005, 08:42:45 AM »
Quote from: Preacherman
Salukifan, no, most of my ministry has been outside prison, apart from the last three years or so which have been as a full-time prison chaplain (and that's about to change too).  Although I'm guided by my faith in judging the appropriateness (or otherwise) of a particular form of sexual expression, I'm not by any means "closed" to the gay and lesbian community, and have worked with them quite extensively in both personal counseling and in groups - not to "convert" them, but to discuss issues, bring a different perspective, and help those in need.  I also spent quite a while as a volunteer in a gay AIDS hospice in South Africa, helping those dying from this disease.
That's wonderful.  It sounds like you really have made an important decision to work with those most in need of spiritual guidance...

Quote from: Preacherman
So, the 25% to 30% figure that I mentioned is based on the groups and individuals with which I've had contact, both in South Africa and in the USA.  I accept that this may not be typical of the lesbian "scene" as a whole, hence my question.  Do you have a more accurate figure than mine?  I'd be interested to hear it.
I spent quite a bit of time researching this.  Finally, I found a journal article that stated that no reliable peer-reviewed studies have been done on whether lesbians are more likely to have been the victims of trauma at the hands of men.  So, I'm sorry Preacherman, I can't give you anything beyond anecdotal evidence there...

I did find lots of research however on violence against women as a general population.  Here's an example of some of the stats:

Around the world, at least one in every three women has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime.3

Nearly one-third of American women (31 percent) report being physically or sexually abused by a husband or boyfriend at some point in their lives, according to a 1998 Commonwealth Fund survey.4

Nearly 25 percent of American women report being raped and/or physically assaulted by a current or former spouse, cohabiting partner, or date at some time in their lifetime, according to the National Violence Against Women Survey, conducted from November 1995 to May 1996.5

Nearly one-fifth of women (18 percent) reported experiencing a completed or attempted rape at some time in their lives; one in 33 men (three percent) reported experiencing a completed or attempted rape at some time in their lives.33

These statistics are from the following site if you'd like to see the references: Family Violence Prevention Fund

Based on these statistics, it sounds like the rate of trauma that you found among the lesbians you ministered to is comparable to the rate of women in general, i.e. not necessarily a statistically significant difference.

I'm glad to have these exchanges with you Preacherman.  You've shown yourself a thoughtful and compassionate man.  We disagree on the morality of homosexual relationships but agree on that the separation of church and state is important as well.  As far as the use of the term "homophobia" goes, I seldom use it anyway but I can see your argument that using such a term can cause people to bristle and limit free and fair debate.  

2]  Anyone with a modicum of responsibility in psychology or sociology will admit that religious instruction and world-views are a valid normative influence.  They are a source of education.  To say otherwise violates the very principle of "tolerance" that is being demanded.
Oh my!  I hope that isn't a subtle slap at my credentials as a sociologist!  Sociologists aren't in the business of ruling normative influences as "valid" or "invalid".  We just study the way that our society is socially constructed and if we occasionally, as private citizens, try to influence the social structure, it does not invalidate our graduate degrees or make our calls for tolerance insincere.

Overall, I think that the original discussion on the use of the word "homophobic" basically centers around the idea that opponents of homosexuality can't have a reasoned objection to homosexuality.  It's a topic people feel strongly about.  Personally, I tend to think of people who oppose gun rights as well-meaning but misinformed and I've seen plenty of them labelled "hoplophobic" on this website.  I guess that assumes that there is no reasonable objection IF you've really studied the facts.  

I tend to think the same way about gay rights.  I'm not really totally convinced that all of the opposition is really based on sound reasoning.  

A lot of the opposition that I've seen tends to be based on religious beliefs.  Let me make it clear that I think that it is perfectly acceptable to use your religion to inform your beliefs and understandings.  If you believe that homosexuality is wrong because of your religion, I respect your ability to make that call.  I just become uneasy when religious beliefs are used to determine civil laws.  I agree with Preacherman in that separation of church and state is a good thing because of the pluralistic society that we live in.  

My rabbi won' t perform wedding ceremonies between Jews and non-Jews but I would not seek to pass a law that said that Jews and non-Jews cannot marry.  Likewise, I understand that Catholics cannot be remarried after divorce in the church (unless an annulment is issued) but there is no federal law forbidding such marriages.  Arguably, each of the above scenarios could be seen as destructive to the family (intermarriage, divorce) but the government issues marriage licenses without concerning itself with these things because we don't live in a theocracy.  

Other arguments tend to be based on "public health" concerns.  People might site statistics that show that STDs are prevalent in gay men or that gay men have more sexual partners than straight men and that there is a public health interest in discouraging homosexuality.  I'm never really sure what to make of this.  First of all, they very seldom can come up with "public health" reasons why lesbianism is a health threat but the don't exactly advocate for lesbian rights but reject gay male rights on that basis.  Most people who take this tack also say that GLBT people are only maybe 1/2% to 2% of the population so I'm not really sure what huge health impact that this 1/4% to 1% of the population is supposed to have on the world's population.  You'd really be a lot better off limiting the rights of smokers or drinkers to get married if government disapproval stopped people from performing certain behaviors.

Finally, there is the "society as we know it will collapse because gay rights will destroy the family" argument.  Well, I'm assuming that you're not arguing that government civil unions are going to make homosexuality so incredibly appealing that formerly heterosexual men and women are going to stop marrying each other and start marrying same-sex partners.

I'm guessing that you think that the whole institution will be cheapened and men and women won't want to stay married or get married in the first place.  Well, I hate to tell you this, but I have very little control over what heterosexuals choose to do and so I'd rather not be penalized for what you think other people will do if I can get a civil union or marriage from the government.  Does that make sense?  

4]  I have spent 15 years searching every bit of medical documentation I can get my hands on and I have yet to see a supported, peer-reviewed study that indicates homosexuality is both congenital and unchangeable.
Nobody knows what causes left-handedness either.  My grandma was born left-handed but was forced to use her right hand since left-handedness was seen as abnormal.  I don't think knowing what "causes" something has anything to do with whether the minority (left handers or GLBT folks) are allowed to live as they feel most comfortable.

Quote from: The Rabbi
For inheritance, this is an issue with estates over $1M only.  Less than $1M and there is no inheritance tax.
Okay, I see where you are confused here.  I am talking about state inheritance taxes.  The state of Indiana will be the ones who can take our house if my partner can't come up with the taxes...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2005, 06:44:49 PM »
Barbara,

You have already made your sexual orientation clear.  I said what I did because civil unions based on homosexual relationships bring government into the bedroom in a way that heterosexual marriage does not.  That is, a homosexual civil union is based only on sex or a romantic relationship while the state's only interest in marriage is the welfare of children who may result therefrom.  I expand on this in post #105.

I didn't say you were not a Christian, but you seem wholly unfamiliar with the Christian understanding of the Old and New Testaments.  I said,
Regarding your remarks on Leviticus, such laws were intended for a Jewish theocracy (the ancient nation of Israel) that disappeared thousands of years ago.  The New Testament, though, specifically condemned homosexuality, adultery, and other sins, but without prescribing legal penalties.
This is not my opinion, it is the historical position of Christians for the past two thousand years.

To quote Bemidjiblade,
Every instance of homosexuality in the Hebrew or Christian scriptures that I'm aware of either tacitly or explicitly condemns the behavior as immoral, and worthy of damnation.  Note:  This does not make it a WORSE sin than many others, but a sin nonetheless by the internal standards of the documents.
Barbara wrote:
liberty and basic secular freedoms should extend to all citizens....

If religion is the only reason to get married, then we should ban all civil unions, which is what a secular marriage really is, correct? There are already the arrangements..we just don't allow all citizens equal access to them.
Special legal arrangements are not a basic secular freedom.  Who said religion was the only reason for marriage?  What are you talking about?  

We do allow all citizens equal access to marriage, but those who wish to marry anyone other than a member of the opposite sex are not meeting the qualifications of an actual marriage.  A homosexual couple simply are not the same as a married couple and never could be, and are not really trying to be.  If they wanted marriage, they would behave as heterosexuals, now wouldn't they?  But they don't, so why do they want the bennies of actual marriage when they don't intend to actually marry, but only to have a harmful and perverse relationship, and ask me to endorse it via the officials of my duly elected government?

If homosexuals want to visit their partners in ICU or give them inheritance rights, then they should pursue these objectives without reference to sexuality.  If Saluki wants her "wife" to visit her in ICU or inherit her half of the house, that is fine with me.  The problem is that she and people like her want to do this on the basis of the fact that they are sleeping with the person in question.  The law should not address this fact.  If two life-long housemates who are not sleeping with each other want the same legal arrangement, should they be denied?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2005, 06:45:56 PM »
Thanks, Rabbi.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2005, 11:27:06 PM »
Heterosexual Questionnaire

As posed by SalukiFan.  For the sake of brevity, I have shortened the term "homosexual" to "homo" in my responses.  Take note I do this with all due respect and not as an insult.  

What do you think is the cause of your heterosexuality?
It is obviously God-ordained, but we could go on forever discussing how God created two different sexes with different roles, and how their attraction and love for one another reflects the relationship between Christ and His chuch or even the relationships between the three Persons of the Trinity.  Also, it brings about procreation.

When and how did you first decide to become a heterosexual?
Always have been.  First noticed it at about four or five years.

Is it possible that your heterosexuality is just a phase you will grow out of?
No.  It is the natural condition of mankind, which we are all born with.

Is it possible your heterosexuality stems from a neurotic fear of others of the same sex?
See my above answers.  I think I fear pretty girls far more than any other type of person.  (And I'm a guy, by the way.)

If you've never had sex with a person of the same sex, then how do you know it isn't for you? Is it possible all you really need is the right homosexual lover?  
Well, it isn't for me, because homosexuality isn't for anyone.  It's morally wrong.  Even if I did enjoy such an experience, that fact would not change.

To whom have you disclosed your heterosexual tendencies?
My wife, maybe a few of my friends.

How did they react?
My wife married me, the rest had little reaction at all.

Why do heterosexuals insist on flaunting their sexuality?
Because of human sinful nature.  Properly, folks should keep it to themselves.  I don't know that homosexuals are quieter about it than we are.

Why can't you just keep it quiet?
What do you mean?  If I said much at all about my sexuality, the wife would brain me.  She's a better shot than I am, so I try to behave.  

Why do heterosexuals place so much emphasis on sex?
As opposed to homosexuals who brave social ostracism and AIDS in order to have sex?

Why do heterosexuals feel the need to seduce others into their lifestyle?
I don't know about seducing, but most of us know, deep down, that it is best for you homo's to go straight.

Would you want your child to be a heterosexual, knowing the problems they would face?
Such as?

A disproportionate majority of child molesters are heterosexuals. Do you consider it safe to expose your children to heterosexual persons?
Can you flip this question around this way?  If the question originally was prefaced by the statement that molesters are usually homo, then it is a bogus question.

With the high level of sexual harassment committed by heterosexuals, do you feel that heterosexuals should be barred from military service? If not, how should heterosexuals be dealt with to preserve unit cohesion and morale?
Same problem as above.

With the epidemic of sexually transmitted diseases among the heterosexual population, do you feel that heterosexuality is unnatural, immoral, or perhaps, condemned by God?
See answer #1.  I remained celibate until I married, and have used no intravenious drugs, so I am an especially low risk for STDs.  Amarital sex and shooting-up must be the evil behavior you are looking for.

Considering the menace of overpopulation, how can the human race survive if heterosexuality is allowed to continue?
Saluki claims to have been asked a "gay counterpart" to this question.  I wonder about that.  However, we do know that underpopulation has become a problem in the West.  Therefore, we need to begin marrying earlier, having more children, and treating abortion as murder.

More than half of all heterosexual marriages end in divorce.  With all the societal support marriage receives, why are there so few stable relationships among heterosexuals?
I wonder about the "gay counterpart" to this question as well.  Also I question the statistic.  Even if true, it takes into account only current divorce rates (in America, or in the world at large, I don't know), without appreciating the stability of marriages throughout history.  In any case, the answer is again human sin.  Divorce is too easy and too socially acceptable.  If custody were biased in favor of the father, fewer divorces would occur, and the children of divorces would fare better.  Additionally, infidelity may be sharply curbed if young people never become accustomed to having sex without marriage.  Alcoholism also plays a role, so drinking should be less socially acceptable.  Most importantly, married people need a proper understanding of love, as found in Christian doctrine.

Could you trust a heterosexual therapist to be objective? Do you feel that such a therapist would try to influence you in the direction of his or her leanings?
Therapist?  What for?  My heterosexuality was only a problem until I was able to healthfully express it in my relationship with my girlfriend/fiancee/wife.

How can you become a whole person if you limit yourself to compulsive, exclusive heterosexuality and fail to develop your natural, healthy, homosexual potential?
What?

There seem to be so few happy heterosexuals. Techniques have been developed which might enable you to be cured if you really wanted to. Would you consider trying this therapy?
Before I met my wife - yes.  Unfulfilled desire can be quite hard to deal with.

How soon can I expect my results?

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2005, 01:37:45 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Heterosexual Questionnaire  

A disproportionate majority of child molesters are heterosexuals. Do you consider it safe to expose your children to heterosexual persons?
Can you flip this question around this way?  If the question originally was prefaced by the statement that molesters are usually homo, then it is a bogus question.
Some people associate child molestation with homosexuality and assume that a disproportionate number of child molesters are gay.  However, research seems to point out that about 99% of children are molested by someone other than a gay or lesbian adult: Dr. Carole Jenny reviewed 352 medical charts, representing all of the sexually abused children seen in the emergency room or child abuse clinic of a Denver children's hospital during a one-year period (from July 1, 1991 to June 30, 1992). The molester was a gay or lesbian adult in only 2 of the 269 cases in which an adult molester could be identified  fewer than 1% (Jenny et al., 1994). Reference

This has led some people to extrapolate that 99% of child molesters are heterosexual - thus explaining this question.  

With the high level of sexual harassment committed by heterosexuals, do you feel that heterosexuals should be barred from military service? If not, how should heterosexuals be dealt with to preserve unit cohesion and morale?
Same problem as above.
I think you are putting me on here Wink  The original "gay" questions was something like this, "With the possibility of gay men or lesbians or bisexuals sexually harassing men or women in their units, do you think that homosexuals and bisexuals should continued to be barred from military service to preserve unit cohesion and morale?"  

The irony here (if you missed it) was that right after there was a big hoopla about Clinton considering lifting the ban on gays in the military there was a huge scandal involving men sexually harassing women in the military and a subsequent cover up by the brass.  Tailhook ring a bell?  

With the epidemic of sexually transmitted diseases among the heterosexual population, do you feel that heterosexuality is unnatural, immoral, or perhaps, condemned by God?
See answer #1.  I remained celibate until I married, and have used no intravenious drugs, so I am an especially low risk for STDs.  Amarital sex and shooting-up must be the evil behavior you are looking for.
Yup, I couldn't agree with you more!  I hate it when people confuse immoral and irresponsible behavior with responsible sexuality.  Cheesy

Considering the menace of overpopulation, how can the human race survive if heterosexuality is allowed to continue?
Saluki claims to have been asked a "gay counterpart" to this question.  I wonder about that.  However, we do know that underpopulation has become a problem in the West.  Therefore, we need to begin marrying earlier, having more children, and treating abortion as murder.
Look Fistful, believe me when I say I have been asked the "gay counterpart".  

I have had multiple people with "I am a freshman in college and now know everything" disease ask me how the world would survive and propagate if everyone were gay.  

1.  I think that what they are going for here is a sociobiological argument that being "oriented" (or whatever term you'd like) towards people of the same-sex is biologically maladaptive.  That kind of argument comes out of someone with a really limited understanding of biological epistemology in my opinion.  Some scientists are now looking at animal populations and stipulating that having some individuals who do NOT have their own offspring is a benefit to the community at large.  These individuals often act as helpmates to care for others in the animal society because are free to help the sick or orphaned because they are not totally occupied with their own offspring.  Now isn't that interesting?

2.  Plenty of gay and lesbian couples I know (especially lesbian couples) have children.  Heck, I'm going to a gay family 4th of July picnic today - maybe I should count the number of children there and get back to you...

More than half of all heterosexual marriages end in divorce.  With all the societal support marriage receives, why are there so few stable relationships among heterosexuals?
I wonder about the "gay counterpart" to this question as well.
Now you're really pulling my leg.  People arguing against gay rights or homosexuality often cite instability of relationships or promiscuity among gays as "proof" that it's unhealthy, unnatural or immoral to be gay.  For example:
 Further, I would say the committed loving long-term homosexual couple is far more the exception than the rule (for males; females seem more prone to that).  The average male homosexual has multiple times the number of partners the average heterosexual male does...It is therefore destructive to society in and of itself and must be opposed.
As BrokenPaw said in an earlier post, this is a case of secondary behaviors that are seen as associated with homosexuality being used to condemn homosexuality.  The point of this question is to point out that just as pointing to bad behavior among opposite-sex couples does not invalidate heterosexuality itself, pointing to bad behavior among same-sex couples does not invalidate homosexuality.

How soon can I expect my results?
You got 'em.

The reason that I posted the "heterosexual questionnaire" was to give an example of how the way that people frame their questions about sexuality can limit the answers that they get.  Questions like these put the questioned person on the defensive from the start and IMO limit thoughtful discussion and empathy.  The questionnaire might provoke thought from some or glib answers from others but I think it's an interesting tool for discussion of a sensitive topic.

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #119 on: July 04, 2005, 02:02:31 AM »
Quote from: Salukifan
As BrokenPaw said in an earlier post, this is a case of secondary behaviors that are seen as associated with homosexuality being used to condemn homosexuality.  The point of this question is to point out that just as pointing to bad behavior among opposite-sex couples does not invalidate heterosexuality itself, pointing to bad behavior among same-sex couples does not invalidate homosexuality.
Fan, I don't believe that I'm putting things too harshly that there is a large difference.  Some heterosexuals are promiscuous.  Among male homosexuals, I believe that it is universal.  There is no such thing as long-term homosexual monogamy.  Since promiscuitiy is potentially fatal in our current era, I feel it is valid to point out that a choice of behavior such as homosexual acts leads one to life-threatening circumstances.
  S

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #120 on: July 04, 2005, 03:54:10 AM »
As BrokenPaw said in an earlier post, this is a case of secondary behaviors that are seen as associated with homosexuality being used to condemn homosexuality.  The point of this question is to point out that just as pointing to bad behavior among opposite-sex couples does not invalidate heterosexuality itself, pointing to bad behavior among same-sex couples does not invalidate homosexuality
I dont believe this is a "secondary behavior" (whatever that is).  I believe it is endemic to homosexuality to always be searching for the ultimate thing.  Bad behavior by heterosexuals is not endemic to heterosexuality.  We see many many couples who have been happily married for 30, 40, even 75 years.

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2005, 05:31:16 AM »
Quote from: Salukifan
Fan, I don't believe that I'm putting things too harshly that there is a large difference.  Some heterosexuals are promiscuous.  Among male homosexuals, I believe that it is universal.  There is no such thing as long-term homosexual monogamy.  Since promiscuitiy is potentially fatal in our current era, I feel it is valid to point out that a choice of behavior such as homosexual acts leads one to life-threatening circumstances.
I dont believe this is a "secondary behavior" (whatever that is).  I believe it is endemic to homosexuality to always be searching for the ultimate thing.  Bad behavior by heterosexuals is not endemic to heterosexuality.  We see many many couples who have been happily married for 30, 40, even 75 years.
Okay, not that you'll believe it but here is a reference for you:
MYTH #8: Gay, lesbians, and bisexual people cannot and do not want long-term relationships.
The stereotype is of the lonely gay man or woman drifting from one sexual liaison to another, never satisfied and never committed.

Studies have shown that between 40-60% of gay men are in steady relationships. These figures are probably higher because men in long term relationships tend to be older and less likely to go to bars, where these statistics were recorded.

Between 45-80% of lesbians are in steady relationships. In most studies, the proportion of lesbians in an on-going relationship was close to 75%.

It is hard to judge how long these partnerships last given the lack of marriage records. The few studies on older lesbians and gay men have shown that relationships lasting longer than 20 years are common.

Another study compared the rate of break-up between lesbian, gay, and co-habitating and married heterosexual couples over an 18 month period. For all couples who had been together for more than 10 years the rate of break-up was:

6% for lesbians,
4% for gay men,
4% for married couples.
For couples together for less than 2 years, only 1 in 5 relationships ended over the 18-month period. Overall the difference in break-up rates between homosexual and heterosexual couples is almost insignificant.

In general, a pattern of continuity and stability was seen in all the relationships.
MYTH #10: Gay men can not be monogamous.
A study of gay male couples indicated that only 20% of relationships were sexually open. Many of the other couples followed a wide variety of patterns -- as diverse as a similar survey of heterosexual couples indicated (Blasband & Peplau, 1985).

Another point that I would like to make is that differences in number of sexual partners has a lot more to do with gender than sexuality.  Men (in general) want lots and lots of sex partners.  Women (in general) tend to be more selective.  Why do gay men have more sex partners that heterosexual men?  Believe me, it's not because heterosexual men are inherently more faithful, moral, etc., it has a lot more to do with finding willing sex partners.  Women are the barrier to straight men having more sex partners.  For gay men, their sex partners generally have the same ideas and desires about sex so there's no problem there...

BTW, just curious Rabbi, where did you get ordained?  YU, JTS?  Just wondering...

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2005, 06:15:59 AM »
BTW, just curious Rabbi, where did you get ordained?  YU, JTS?  Just wondering...
Usually I have a disclaimer somewhere that I am not a rabbi but do play one on the internet.  Maybe I didnt put that on my profile here.  If I had actually gotten smicha (ordination) it probably would have been from NICS or MTJ, iow a pretty Orthodox place.

The study is sort of misleading since it asked how many people were in a relationship now.  that relationship could be 6 hours old or 6 years old.  But you did aknowledge that.  Your analysis of promiscuity among straight men vs gay men is probably right on the mark.

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2005, 10:51:35 AM »
Usually I have a disclaimer somewhere that I am not a rabbi but do play one on the internet.  Maybe I didnt put that on my profile here.  If I had actually gotten smicha (ordination) it probably would have been from NICS or MTJ, iow a pretty Orthodox place.
Oh okay, I didn't realize because there wasn't much info on your APS profile.  I'm familiar with MTJ but what is NICS?  Didn't they approve my last handgun purchase? Wink

Your analysis of promiscuity among straight men vs gay men is probably right on the mark.
Thanks.  The gender similarities are more striking than the sexuality differences in a number of ways.  It's funny because I know that there is a stereotype that gay men are more "effeminate" or "like women" but in many ways they are like "Men Squared". Cheesy

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2005, 01:07:35 PM »
Oh okay, I didn't realize because there wasn't much info on your APS profile.  I'm familiar with MTJ but what is NICS?  Didn't they approve my last handgun purchase?
You actually know what MTJ is?  You must have some background somewhere.
When I wrote NICS I was having a senior moment or daydreaming about guns.  I meant NIRC.