Author Topic: How does one Rebut This?  (Read 1329 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
How does one Rebut This?
« on: October 17, 2007, 05:02:54 AM »
A common thing said by many regarding being searched, having to go thru metal detectors etc etc etc is:

"What's the big deal? If you don't have anything to hide why should you object?"

That answer to me is just wrong on so many levels. Superficially, though, it has merits.

I know it is wrong but I'm having real trouble articulating why.

Why is the "If you don't have anything to hide why should you object?" statement wrong?

Help me out...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: How does one Rebut This?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 05:04:53 AM »
It's wrong because it is.  So what.  Why should I have to prove it?  There is a thing called the 4th amendment.  There is a thing called unreasonable search and seizure. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 05:05:06 AM »
Because minimum wage bureaucratic clerical workers don't care if they make mistakes.

In some cases, it means you might be put on the no-fly list by accident. In more extreme cases, it means you get a no-knock raid.

"If you have nothing to hide, why care" doesn't account for bureaucratic incompetence that can ruin your life or get you killed.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 06:09:16 AM »
IMO, that phrase automatically indicates some amount of guilt should one want to refuse. It's a psychological manipulation.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

rsl_shot

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 06:39:03 AM »
+1 Thor
"Have you stopped beting your wife ?"

Roger

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 07:14:20 AM »
If I didn't have anything to hide, I would walk around naked  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 07:52:22 AM »
I agree with the others, and would add that it has to do with the philosophy of "innocent until proven guilty."  Citizens acting in a lawful manner should be left alone.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 08:19:53 AM »
"What's the big deal? If you don't have anything to hide why should you object?"
That answer to me is just wrong on so many levels. Superficially, though, it has merits.

The next time somebody tells you that, ask them to empty their pockets, their purpose, and their wallet, strip in front of you, and give you access to their email and digital records. When they object, throw the question back at them.

There are very few people that would actually submit themselves to such treatment willingly. There are far more people that think it is okay to do that to SOMEBODY ELSE. The mental self-delusion is that it would never really be applied to them, so they are ok with it.

Pax Jordana

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 11:49:46 AM »
+1 Thor
"Have you stopped beting your wife ?"

Roger

haha, in school we always say "do your parents know you're gay?"

for the record, I've stopped saying it, but boy was it funny at 12..

Anyway, I simply respond by saying "It's my right to refuse simply because I don't feel like doing it"

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 12:55:11 PM »
If you don't have anything to hide why should you object?

If you don't think I'm a criminal, why would you want to search me?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 04:25:49 PM »
A common thing said by many regarding being searched, having to go thru metal detectors etc etc etc is:

Since I have a reasonable expectation of privacy when it comes to my body, the burden lies on the State to show why a search would be justified.  The burden is not mine to show why a search would be unjustified. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 05:21:21 PM »

I am especially sick of hearing this on conservative talk radio.  It reminds me of all the Democrats who used to call Rush Limbaugh to say, "Bill Clinton is our President of the United States.  You should respect him.   angry  " 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife