Author Topic: Synth glitch causes Van Halen to have a musical train wreck...  (Read 1352 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Synth glitch causes Van Halen to have a musical train wreck...
« on: October 22, 2007, 08:45:46 PM »
Oh, this is painful. Used a prerecorded synth for the background chords in "Jump"...but it went a little too fast and too high in pitch. Poor Eddie! He's trying to do his guitar solo, but the key is nothing remotely as it should be, or anything that can be adapted to, and, well...

It just makes you wince as the attempts to adapt to a nonexistent key fail. On-stage hell for the performers, definitely. 

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/train-wreck/synth-glitch-creates-on+stage-disaster-for-van-halen-313005.php

Phyphor

• friend
Re: Synth glitch causes Van Halen to have a musical train wreck...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 11:26:56 PM »
Clearly, a sound check was NOT done on this concert.

Nobody was even on the same key.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 01:50:38 AM »
WOW!!  shocked What you're seeing there is the sign of a true pro. Eddie (apparently) either can't hear his guitar or can't hear the synth and is just playing what he always plays even though it's not in the same key as the synth. He doesn't have a clue what it's sounding like. Seeing this makes me glad I didn't spend the $ to see them again. First off, I hate DLR, he's a friggin has been. THEN, NO MARK ANTHONY?? It just ain't right without him. I'll bet he didn't sign on because he figured Eddie and DLR would eventually get into it and the whole TOUR would turn into a train wreck. Plus I'm REALLY pissed at Eddie for divorcing Val and forcing us to watch HER has been ass try to make a living hawking the get skinny stuff with Kirstie. What a crew...  rolleyes

And besides, don't charge me a lot of $ to come and see you sync with a recording. That's just bogus.

Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 01:53:34 AM »
Yes, that's how I feel.  laugh

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 02:09:15 AM »
My sister married a Van Halen nut.  Oh, the pain.   sad
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 03:53:57 AM »
WOW!!  shocked What you're seeing there is the sign of a true pro. Eddie (apparently) either can't hear his guitar or can't hear the synth and is just playing what he always plays even though it's not in the same key as the synth.

From what I've heard of them, could he have been too stoned out of his mind to realize? Smiley

About all I know of their catalog is that song and mention of Eddie van Halen in regards to guitar techniques, not a band I follow. It's just that I know that most musicians I know of would have just stopped, said "Okay, F that, next song is..." and launched into something else if there was a failure of equipment.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 01:14:12 PM »
Nah, he looks relatively sober. He just can't hear that he's not in tune with the synth. Or maybe he's out of sync actually. I'll go back and listen again, maybe I can figure it out. Still, unless there's some crazy guy playing a JD bottle looking bass, I ain't happy.  laugh

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 01:26:13 PM »
Apparently I should have read the stuff underneath. He's in sync but not in tune with the synth. I still get the impression he can't hear what's going on though. I don't think he's trying to compensate, he's just playing his part. Somebody's head must have rolled when it was all over.  laugh

Speaking of recordings at concerts. I can recall all the way back to the Queen concert where the operatic chorus for "Bohemian" was a playback. I pretty sure I caught ZZ Top filling in rhythm guitar that way too. I'm not crazy about it personally.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 05:44:30 PM »
On-stage hell for the performers, definitely.

One might hope that enough such incidents might bring back live performances ... but I won't live that long.

One of the best concerts I ever attended (many years ago) was a John Denver concert. He had played two other cities in the two nights previous, it was winter and lousy weather, and the guy was obviously and visibly tired and suffering. But he sang. He didn't lip-synch, he SANG. There were several places during the night when his voice cracked, but he SANG.

Ya know, the voice cracking didn't detract from the performance one iota, because even with the vocal flaws, you could still feel how he felt about what he was singing. Lip-synching doesn't convey any emotion whatsoever.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

armchair warrior

• friends
  • QuickDraw on THR
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 05:55:27 PM »
I'm no real fan of DLR,BUT, he was a trooper.He kept singing
and didn't sound bad at all. smiley
Eddies guitar sounded like a bagpipe! grin
Huh?
Oh, maybe I'm tone deaf.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 06:09:53 PM »
I never really cared for DLR that much, then I saw the video for Jump.
Now I want to stab his eye sockets.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 06:47:14 PM »
Who's DLR?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 07:20:19 PM »
David Lee Roth.

If he hadn't been the front man for Van Halen, they woulda gone nowheresville, like all the other guitar bands in the late seventies/early eighties...

Blog under construction

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 01:24:27 AM »
Yea, for a while there you had guitarists all trying to play like Eddie and front men all trying to be DLR. It was a scary time...  laugh

I saw them as Van Hagar and with the Extreme guy but never DLR. They must be coming around too. All the radio stations are staging massive assaults of VH music. I'll be glad when they're gone. rolleyes