Author Topic: This is really ignorant  (Read 9598 times)

Paddy

This is really ignorant
« on: October 26, 2007, 02:28:59 PM »
It's the 21st century. I can't believe Georgia is still this backward. A teenager gets 10 years in prison for hanky panky with a teenage girl 2 years younger than him?  WTF is wrong with these people?  Damn good thing she was black too, otherwise the state of GA probably would have lynched him.  What a bunch of slopeheaded, slackjawed mouthbreathers must inhabit that hellhole.  undecided

Young man in consensual sex case leaves prison
Ga. court ordered Wilson released, ruled 10-year sentence was cruel

MSNBC video
Genarlow Wilson: 'It feels great'
Oct. 26: Genarlow Wilson, who was sentenced to 10 years in prison for having consensual oral sex with another teenager, holds a news conference after he was freed by the Georgia Supreme Court.

FORSYTH, Ga. - A young man who had been imprisoned for having consensual oral sex with another teenager was released from prison Friday after Georgia's Supreme Court intervened in the case.

The court ruled 4-3 that Genarlow Wilsons 10-year sentence was cruel and unusual punishment. Wilson served more than two years of the sentence.

Wilson's case led to widespread protests of heavy-handed justice. His supporters said race was one reason he received such a severe sentence, noting that he and the girl  both black  were only two years apart.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

"I'm happy to see that we've got justice now," Wilson said after being released from the Al Burruss Correctional Training Center in Forsyth, Ga. "I'm ready to piece back my life."

Wilson's supporters were jubilant.

"I never gave up hope in our judicial system, and I never gave up hope in all the prayers people sent out for us," said his mother, Juannessa Bennett.

Wilson said he was surprised to hear Friday morning on the radio that he would be freed. "It just felt unreal until I signed the paper," he said.

Wilson offered a word of caution to young people. A few minutes of fun can be a lifetime, he said. Theres not going to be anymore parties for me for a while.

Details of case
Wilson, now 21, was convicted of aggravated child molestation following a 2003 New Years Eve party at a Douglas County hotel room where he was videotaped having oral sex with a 15-year-old girl. He was 17 at the time.

Wilson was acquitted of raping another 17-year-old girl at the party.

The 1995 law Wilson violated was changed in 2006 to make oral sex between teens close in age a misdemeanor, similar to the law regarding teen sexual intercourse. But the state Supreme Court later upheld a lower courts ruling which said that the 2006 law could not be applied retroactively.

Chief Justice Leah Ward Sears wrote in the majority opinion that the changes in the law represent a seismic shift in the legislatures view of the gravity of oral sex between two willing teenage participants.

Sears wrote that the severe punishment makes no measurable contribution to acceptable goals of punishment and that Wilsons crime did not rise to the level of adults who prey on children.

Supporters: 'A long time coming'
State Attorney General Thurbert Baker said he accepts Fridays ruling.

Baker said he hopes the ruling will put an end to this issue as a matter of contention in the hearts and minds of concerned Georgians and others across the country who have taken such a strong interest in this case.

Wilsons supporters were jubilant.

Its been a long time coming, said U.S. Rep. John Lewis, an Atlanta Democrat. Each day that this young man spent in prison was a day too long.

Civil rights activist Jesse Jackson, who is visiting Georgia this week, called for an end to mandatory minimum prison sentences.

State lawmakers announced they had raised $4,000 toward a scholarship fund for Wilson, and Jackson promised another $5,000 from the Rainbow/PUSH organization.

Grave miscarriage of justice
The state Supreme Court had turned down Wilsons appeal of his conviction and sentence, but the justices agreed to hear the states appeal of a Monroe County judges decision to reduce Wilsons sentence to 12 months and free him. That judge had called the 10-year sentence a grave miscarriage of justice.

Dissenting justices wrote that the state Legislature expressly stated that the 2006 change in the law was not intended to affect any crime prior to that date.

They said Wilsons sentence could not be cruel and unusual because the state Legislature decided that Wilson could not benefit from subsequent laws reducing the severity of the crime from a felony to a misdemeanor.

They called the decision an unprecedented disregard for the General Assemblys constitutional authority.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21488038/

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: This is really ignorant
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 04:16:46 PM »
Should I mention, that the Georgia AG is Thurburt Baker, who is black?

This case has been hashed over on this forum already...

It's the 21st century. I can't believe Georgia is still this backward. A teenager gets 10 years in prison for hanky panky with a teenage girl 2 years younger than him?  WTF is wrong with these people?  Damn good thing she was black too, otherwise the state of GA probably would have lynched him.  What a bunch of slopeheaded, slackjawed mouthbreathers must inhabit that hellhole.

And you also need to leave Georgians alone. I know a whole lot of good people from that state. They are most certainly not backward hicks. Of course, because they (and I) live in the South, we must automatically live in trailers and wave Confederate flags and hate blacks...

It ain't so.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 04:20:26 PM »
Stuff like this wouldn't happen back in the day when the Soviets were running things........ rolleyes

Ooops, Wrong Georgia.....(j/k)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 06:16:09 PM »
kid was lucky he beat the rape beef with the other girl.  and always nice when you video your crimes for the prosecution.  keep an eye out  this feller could turm up dead

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 07:40:09 PM »
It's the 21st century. I can't believe Georgia is still this backward.

And California is the bastion of advanced thinking with these laws on the books?

http://www.idiotlaws.com/dumb_laws/california/

Seriously, the GA legislature had its collective head up its fundament when it passed the zero-tolerance statute trying to control teenage sex.  And the intermediate appellate courts had their hands tied because the GA legislature was wise enough to state that when they changed the law because it was a bad law, that the change could not be applied retroactivly.

It took the "ignorant" GA Supreme Court to see that the law was bad - so bad as to be unconstitutionally bad.

I'm sorry the kid had to spend 2 years waiting for relief.  Maybe he will sue the state and get some cash so he will feel better.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 08:21:09 PM »
From what I understand he is actually fairly intelligent (possumbly almost to the point where his mama says he is... and he's a good boy!), so with any luck, he'll move. Then sue.

Blog under construction

Paddy

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 03:14:46 PM »
I'm sorry.  It wasn't my intention to besmirch every living soul in Georgia.  There are no doubt a lot of good people there.  The judicial system, however, seems as backwards as it gets.  Wikepedia says the 15 yo girl was white.  Apparently, she was caught fellating Wilson.  That, I think must have been the reason to haul out this antiquated law and imprison the lad for 10 years.  Maybe the DA's office is still racist (hard to believe, but I suppose it's possible).  Or maybe the girls father was influential and politically connected. Either way, this is an egregious miscarriage of so-called 'justice'.

District Attorney David McDade (who prosecuted this case) is sure not  black, either.                                                                                       

Paddy

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 03:17:36 PM »
Thats the night the lights went out in georgia
Thats the night that they hung an innocent man
Dont trust your soul to no back woods southern lawyer
Cause the judge in the towns got bloodstains on his hands

The Georgia patrol was making their rounds
So he fired a shot just to flag em down
And a big bellied sheriff grabbed his gun and said
Whyd you do it?

The judge said guilty in a make believe trial
Slapped the sheriff on the back with a smile and said
Suppers waiting at home and I got to get to it

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 03:31:25 PM »
I'm glad there is still some redress available for parents who don't want their daughters defiled by brats like Wilson (of any race).  Even so, ten years is pretty steep for something like that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Paddy

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 04:02:23 PM »
I'm glad there is still some redress available for parents who don't want their daughters defiled by brats like Wilson (of any race).  Even so, ten years is pretty steep for something like that.

The girl defiled herself, hoss.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 04:45:42 PM »
And your point is? 

Paddy

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 05:07:34 PM »
And your point is? 

No harm, no foul.  And damn sure not worth imprisoning a 17 year old.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 06:12:38 PM »
No harm?   rolleyes

So your point is that you think it was consensual.  Well, if it's my fifteen-year-old, it ain't consensual.  Because I did not consent. 

Paddy

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 06:23:41 PM »
No harm?   rolleyes

So your point is that you think it was consensual.  Well, if it's my fifteen-year-old, it ain't consensual.  Because I did not consent. 

Then why was your fifteen-year-old there in the first place?  And why didn't you prepare her for this inevitability?  And why does it make a difference whether she has the penis of a white or a black in her mouth?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 06:57:58 PM »
Slow your roll, chief.    grin

It is truly entertaining to watch your knee-jerking.  Here I made a point of disregarding the racial component, but you still bring this racial angle into my comments.  So charming.

Then why was your fifteen-year-old there in the first place?  And why didn't you prepare her for this inevitability?

Guess what?  If I leave my car unlocked, with the keys in the front seat, you still do not get to take it for a drive without my permission. 

Yeah, my fifteen-year-old shouldn't be in places where she might be involved in oral sex.  I might well be a bad parent, in that case.  But regardless, at that age, the girl belongs to her mother and I.  No one gets to use her for sex, regardless what she says, or how bad our parenting may be, unless she has our permission.  If they do, there should be legal recourse if we so desire.  Think of it like a trespassing law. 

Paddy

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 07:10:05 PM »
It is truly entertaining to watch your knee-jerking.  Here I made a point of disregarding the racial component, but you still bring this racial angle into my comments.  So charming.

It was about race from the git go.  If the girl would've had a white boys penis in her mouth it wouldn't have made any difference.  The girl had a 'nigra's' penis in her mouth and her daddy was connected.  He was embarrassed. And what's more, she probably did it to embarrass daddy, because she's got no respect for him in the first place.

But regardless, at that age, the girl belongs to her mother and I.  No one gets to use her for sex, regardless what she says, or how bad our parenting may be, unless she has our permission.  If they do, there should be legal recourse if we so desire.  Think of it like a trespassing law.

Your children are not your property, fistful.  Their lives are their own. 

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 07:56:55 PM »
But wait, if your girl is your property, then you are also accountable for her actions, right? So if she commits a crime, you should be punished for it. And if the ages were reversed and the girl was 17 and sucking off a 15 yo boy, you should go to jail for defiling the poor boy, right?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

oldcop1971

So, how young do we go?
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 08:31:31 PM »
Would it be ok for him to have sex with your eight year old daughter?
Society has to establish law.  This law is designed to protect underage children from predaors.  At some point, an arbitrary cut-off point has to be set. You may argue that 17/15 is so close that it should not be a felony.  How about 15/13, or 15/11? 
Whatever state you are living in, has, i'm sure, statuatory rape laws.  If you feel so strongly about it, lobby to have them repealed.
Dont go playing the race card or the hill-billy card or whatever other lame name calling card you have in your hand.  Address the facts, don't stoop to sling slurs.
oc71

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 08:32:48 PM »
I'm sorry.  It wasn't my intention to besmirch every living soul in Georgia.  There are no doubt a lot of good people there.  The judicial system, however, seems as backwards as it gets.  Wikepedia says the 15 yo girl was white.  Apparently, she was caught fellating Wilson.  That, I think must have been the reason to haul out this antiquated law and imprison the lad for 10 years.  Maybe the DA's office is still racist (hard to believe, but I suppose it's possible).  Or maybe the girls father was influential and politically connected. Either way, this is an egregious miscarriage of so-called 'justice'.

District Attorney David McDade (who prosecuted this case) is sure not  black, either.                                                                                       

Wiki says the fifteen year old girl was black. {deleted because it was unneccessarily inflamitory}
"Wilson v. State was a Georgia court case brought about to appeal the aggravated child molestation conviction of Genarlow Wilson.

Wilson had been convicted of aggravated child molestation because, at the age of seventeen, he had engaged in oral sex with a consenting fifteen-year-old at a New Year's Eve party. Wilson was African American as was the fifteen-year-old as[/u] reported by Georgia news outlets, The Los Angeles Times and the Associated Press[1][2][3][4] although ABC News reported that she was white.[5]"

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
Re: So, how young do we go?
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 08:38:52 PM »
Society has to establish law.  This law is designed to protect underage children from predaors.  At some point, an arbitrary cut-off point has to be set. You may argue that 17/15 is so close that it should not be a felony.  How about 15/13, or 15/11? 
Whatever state you are living in, has, i'm sure, statuatory rape laws.  If you feel so strongly about it, lobby to have them repealed.
Dont go playing the race card or the hill-billy card or whatever other lame name calling card you have in your hand.  Address the facts, don't stoop to sling slurs.
oc71

That was very nicely said oldcop. I'm not sure of the law in Texas. Michigan has a "four year" rule. An underage girl having sex with a boy or man less than four years older than her produces a lesser criminal act than a boy or man more than four years older than her.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2007, 08:52:22 PM »
I think it's the ratio that angers people here. He was 17, a minor right? But he was "close enough" to being an adult to get tried that way. But even though the girl was close to his age, it was treated as statutory.

It's a horrible tragedy that a 10 year old would have sex, but if the other person involved is 12 do you really want to send the 12 yo to jail?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Paddy

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2007, 09:12:35 PM »
oc71

First, I'm not the one playing the 'race card'.  That was played by the Douglas County, GA District Attorney when he prosecuted this case in the first place.   Why did he do that?  Clearly, it was because a 15 year old white girl was fellating a 17 year old black boy.  Those, apparently, are the facts.

You know what? It doesn't  matter whether the girl was white, black , pink or purple.  10 years in
prison for a 17 year old boy because his penis was in a girl's mouth says that judicial system is insane, bigoted. corrupt and immoral.

Prove me wrong, since I've got the Georgia Supreme Court on my side.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »
...First, I'm not the one playing the 'race card'.  That was played by the Douglas County, GA District Attorney when he prosecuted this case in the first place.   Why did he do that?  Clearly, it was because a 15 year old white girl was fellating a 17 year old black boy.  Those, apparently, are the facts.

You know what? It doesn't  matter whether the girl was white, black , pink or purple.  10 years in
prison for a 17 year old boy because his penis was in a girl's mouth says that judicial system is insane, bigoted. corrupt and immoral.

No, those apparently are, are not the facts. It was a black girl fellating a black boy.

No, you do not have the Georgia supreme court on your side. You have the Georgia Supreme court saying that the punishment was "cruel and unusual", which I happen to agree with. You do not have the Georgia Supreme court saying that the judicial system was "insane, bigoted. corrupt and immoral."
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Paddy

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2007, 09:39:42 PM »
...First, I'm not the one playing the 'race card'.  That was played by the Douglas County, GA District Attorney when he prosecuted this case in the first place.   Why did he do that?  Clearly, it was because a 15 year old white girl was fellating a 17 year old black boy.  Those, apparently, are the facts.

No, those apparently are, are not the facts. It was a black girl fellating a black boy.

No, you do not have the Georgia supreme court on your side. You have the Georgia Supreme court saying that the punishment was "cruel and unusual", which I happen to agree with. You do not have the Georgia Supreme court saying that the judicial system was "insane, bigoted. corrupt and immoral."

So, ten (10), yes that's ten years in prison, is an appropriate punishment for a 17 year old boy who had his penis in a 15 year old girls mouth?

I'm sorry Honest Abe held the Union together.  I don't want you for my countryman.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 05:29:50 AM »

It was about race from the git go. 

You can't tell the difference between my comments about a hypothetical situation (where I said race didn't matter) and this case in Georgia.  I'm not surprised. 

never mind