Author Topic: Need help-I could use a sewing machine.  (Read 6707 times)

onions!

Need help-I could use a sewing machine.
« on: October 27, 2007, 02:33:49 PM »
I need to hem pants,sew patches,& *maybe* try some slip covers or curtains.

I'm not going into production & I have no desire to make clothes.I am interested in upholstering my own furniture but I understand that it'd require more than what I expect of this machine.

Something that can do a few dififferent stitches & work reliably for years.That's what I'm looking for.

I've visited a sewing center &,well,ever get caught by a pack of women in the "femine products" aisle?They give you a bemused,tolerant look that's seems to shoo you away.It was kinda like that.

Think Ruger Blackhawk not Custom Shop N-frame.W/a Hi-Point price.

Thoughts?Ideas?Creative snide comments? grin

Paddy

Re: Need help-I could use a sewing machine.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 03:19:34 PM »
Sheesh.  Hire a freakin' seamstress already.  There's a lot more involved than just owning a sewing machine.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 03:28:08 PM »
In the creative, snide comments department, kind of...

ever get caught by a pack of women in the "femine products" aisle?

A few years back, I was moving into an apartment that had a big window in the bedroom.  It had blinds, but it needed something else to block out the light.  My mom offered to sew up some curtains for me.  Now, I'm of the view that every man (and woman) should have enough sew-fu to maintain their clothing and such.  I'd not have felt the least bit sheepish about sewing up some curtains for myself, but at my skill level, it would have taken forever and might have ended up a pretty bad job.  My mother, on the other hand, had the mad sewing skills to do it much faster and better than I.  And I was busy moving and registering for college classes and what-not.  She wanted to do something to help me out. 

So we went to the fabric store to get some material.  While my mom was looking at some other things in the store, I went up to pay for the fabric.  I made the mistake of mentioning that my mom was making some curtains for me.  The lady at the counter kindly informed me that guys can sew, too.  Usually engineers, she said.   rolleyes   I bore her prejudiced attitude with minimal response until I could get out of the store.  I could have explained to her why it made more sense for my mommy to do it for me.  Or I could have asked her if she presumed that every man who came into the store was afraid to do girlie stuff like sewing.  Whatever.  Can you tell that this still annoys me?   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Paddy

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 03:32:05 PM »
I've never heard of men sewing,  especially 'curtains' 'n stuff, fistful. It must be a midwestern thing, 'cause it sure sounds gay to me.

onions!

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
Sheesh.  Hire a freakin' seamstress already.  There's a lot more involved than just owning a sewing machine.

I could.I just enjoyed a nice meal of sweet'n'sour chicken I made from scratch(yep,sauce too).That involved more than just owning a stove as well.IOWs,I can learn. smiley

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 04:16:11 PM »
Lots of civil war re-enactors and Cowboy Action shooters sew their own stuff. Certainly nothing wrong with that.
When I was layed up recovering from back surgery I did cross-stitch to keep from going out of my mind with boredom. I gave it to my Mom for Christmas. I don't ever want to do it again, though. I really don't have the patience for it.

Anyway, onions!, I have a small sewing machine you can have, if you like. My Mom bought it for my daughter but I doubt we will ever use it. It is quite small, so i don't know if it will be useful or not. I have to find it, too.

Lemme know.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 04:18:50 PM »
Nothing wrong with men sewing. I would fight to the death for my sewing machine, its cast iron, treadle powered and takes three people to move in one piece. I use it mostly for mid-weight leather. I also do a lot of hand sewing, the last three things I sewed were all holsters for 1911s.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 04:25:25 PM »
It must be a midwestern thing, 'cause it sure sounds gay to me.

Whatever. Hey Onions, if you're in the Portland, Oregon area, pm me. My wife sews like nuthin'.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

onions!

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 04:36:44 PM »
It must be a midwestern thing, 'cause it sure sounds gay to me.

Whatever. Hey Onions, if you're in the Portland, Oregon area, pm me. My wife sews like nuthin'.

:cool:but I'm in Michigan.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 04:37:34 PM »
I've never heard of men sewing,  especially 'curtains' 'n stuff, fistful. It must be a midwestern thing, 'cause it sure sounds gay to me.
Well, it IS fistful.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 04:47:41 PM »
curtains:
buy camo burlap
use staple gun to affix above window

slip covers:
buy camo burlap
use staple gun to affix around furniture
cover staple line with long thin strip of black gaffers tape
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 05:00:31 PM »
I was the first generation that had to take Home Ec and Shop. I learned how to sew and use a machine. It's a skill that comes in handy. My girlfriend found a used machine years ago for $40.00. Took it home, cleaned it up, and it works great. I've used it quite a few times over the last 7-8 years on pack straps, clothes, repairing rips/tears, etc. If you buy one, get one with the removable cuff platform; you remove some work space around the foot/needle area to make it easier to sew cuffs. Portable machines are better than the ones in the cabinet/table style.

Funniest use: fixing holes in the crotch of sweatpants. I don't know how they get there, but a few seconds through a machine and they're done.

Paddy

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 05:01:48 PM »

I could.I just enjoyed a nice meal of sweet'n'sour chicken I made from scratch(yep,sauce too).That involved more than just owning a stove as well.IOWs,I can learn. smiley

OK. I can get behind that.  You must have a lot of free time.  smiley

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 05:10:09 PM »
If you want to do things like hem pants, a free arm on the machine is pretty much a necessity. IIRC, it allows you to sew around in a circle on cylindrical objects (like pant legs).

Edit: just saw thebaldguy beat me to it. Cuff platform=free arm.
Andy

Archie

• friend
  • Galactic Effectuator
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 05:39:29 PM »
I made a costume for a live stage production in High School.  An old girl friend helped me, but I designed it and did most of the work.

Sewing is much like sheet metal work, by the way.  Except the edges don't cut fingers so much.  I still make holsters but I hand sew everything.

As for it being 'gay'... someone has some really self-image issues.  A man needs to be able to do anything and everything it takes to be self-sufficient.  Just like a woman has to be able to change a tire for those times she can't vamp a man into doing it for her.
As long as the citizens of the United States own and keep personal weapons, we can argue about all the other issues that concern us.  The instant we lose the ability to keep weapons, our masters will decide all those other issues for us.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 05:44:08 PM »
I own a sewing machine. I can truthfully tell you I'm an expert with it, but my curtains have held up five years. If I ever make time, I plan to make a bath robe: I can't find anything warm enough that reaches far enough down to suit me.

I bought a used sewing machine that didn't work ten minutes. I took it back and bought a new machine that works well enough. It paid for itself long before I finished making curtains for seven windows.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Paddy

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 05:46:20 PM »
Archie sez:

I made a costume for a live stage production in High School.  An old girl friend helped me, but I designed it and did most of the work.

As for it being 'gay'... someone has some really self-image issues. 

Whatever, dude   laugh

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 05:50:53 PM »
As per Lazarus Long, I sew when I need to. I have a Simplicity that I got off Amazon. Works well for hemming pants, sewing patches on my work flightsuit, fixing rips in my "work on the car, in the yard, or wherever" clothes that I don't want to toss just because they don't look presentable.

I sewed myself a suede scabbard for my Great Plains Rifle, in case that makes sewing less gay to certain people.Tongue
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 06:31:07 PM »
I have a sewing machine and use it proficiently if not expertly. I have made Halloween costumes for me, as well as casual wear and simple repairs. I can also embroider and cook. Self-sufficiency = freedom.

Paddy

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 06:39:52 PM »
Superb!  APS is rife with seamstresses. I am so proud of you guys.........................

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2007, 06:47:31 PM »

Good thing that I'm not very good at it, then.  I think Riley might be more at home with those knuckle-draggers down in Georgia.   smiley

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2007, 11:15:50 PM »
I've got two Janome New Home sewing machines (mostly used for hemming banners), and one Janome dedicated embroidery only "sewing" machine.

My next door neighbor, known as "Big Roy," used to be a manager on the interior and upholstery line at the local Ford plant.

Blog under construction

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 05:31:29 AM »
Sewing is a good and useful skill.

Gayness is about being attracted to people of the same sex.  Riley is very worried about homosexuality.  So much so that he is now drawing non-existent connections between sewing and sexual orientation.  I think Riley spends too much time thinking about homosexuality.

Do you suppose he dreams about homosexuality? undecided
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 05:59:20 AM »
My favorite part is where Archie connected male sewing with live theater.  Kickin' the gay up a notch - BAM!   grin

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 06:57:18 AM »
Well, there are several ways this could be resolved:
1.  Riley could take up sewing and see if it makes him want to taste one.
2.  Riley could taste one and see if it makes want to take up sewing.

Option #2 could also shed some light on whether teh gay is a choice or  not.  If Riley finds that tasting one is like eating Lay's potato chips, then I'll concede that those who claim it's a choice have been right all along.  Here's Riley's chance to do some research on a topic that, clearly, interests him and possibly learn a new skill or two as well. laugh
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.