Author Topic: Need help-I could use a sewing machine.  (Read 6708 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Need help-I could use a sewing machine.
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2007, 07:04:27 AM »
I've never heard of men sewing,  especially 'curtains' 'n stuff, fistful. It must be a midwestern thing, 'cause it sure sounds gay to me.

Thus speaks the "enlightened" California liberal...  rolleyes
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Paddy

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2007, 08:32:42 AM »
You guys sure are touchy about this subject.  Maybe APS needs a Quilting Bee forum where y'all can trade tips, tricks and techniques for attaching sequins to ballet shoes and stuff like that.  laugh

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2007, 08:38:18 AM »
You guys sure are touchy about this subject.  Maybe APS needs a Quilting Bee forum where y'all can trade tips, tricks and techniques for attaching sequins to ballet shoes and stuff like that.  laugh

Good one, Riley! grin
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2007, 08:43:42 AM »
Quick, someone sneak into Reilly's house while his wife is away and pop all the buttons off his clothes and bust all the seams on his pants...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2007, 10:02:49 AM »
Well, I just need a non-dry-rotted source for really, really heavy thread, like for sewing tents.

Give.

Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2007, 10:10:18 AM »
Several options for that...

1. Tack and saddle shop. Yellow pages/net

2. Sailing supply store. Yellow pages/net

3. Sewing supply center. Yellow pages/net.

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2007, 01:33:20 PM »
I've never heard of men sewing,  especially 'curtains' 'n stuff, fistful. It must be a midwestern thing, 'cause it sure sounds gay to me.

Quote from: Robert A. Heinlein
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Admittedly I sure could sew better, but competence is no grounds for ridicule.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2007, 01:38:51 PM »
Part of me agrees with Heinlein.  Especially my recovering survivalist part.  But any economist knows that specialization is for capitalists.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2007, 01:42:12 PM »
Well it's not that we should expect everybody to be good at everything, that's just silly in an industrial society or even most pre industrial societies, the point is that competence is a worthy goal and should be valued.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2007, 01:44:35 PM »
Oh come off it, Euclid.  It's obvious you're just trying to explain away your homosexual urges.  Wink

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2007, 05:58:07 PM »
Have you ever heard of a Tailor?  Nothing more than a male seamstress.

When I retired I thought taking up sewing would be good.  After a few weeks of practice I found I still could not sew a straight seam.  So now I just set up the machine for my wife if she wants to sew anything.

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2007, 07:25:14 PM »
Oh come off it, Euclid.  It's obvious you're just trying to explain away your homosexual urges.  Wink

As soon as those urges come, I have your address.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2007, 07:28:36 PM »

I was going to close this thread, but you know, with a snapping comeback like that, now I want to see where it goes...

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2007, 07:30:57 PM »
Hehe.  He was just funnin' Mr. Irwin.

Even if he wasn't I really wouldn't give a hoot, I know what my sexual orientation is.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2007, 07:37:33 PM »
You lover boys should come here to California and move in across the street from Riley  grin

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2007, 07:43:30 PM »
I would SO be teh ghey in Austin, Texas way before I'd do it in Kali.  Not nearly so many of the silly gun laws, and a ban on homosexual marriage as a great added bonus!  I mean seriously how many straight people wish that marriage was illegal for them?  Lucky gays.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2007, 07:45:58 PM »
Wait, did we ban gay marriage?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2007, 07:58:15 PM »
I would SO be teh ghey in Austin, Texas way before I'd do it in Kali.  Not nearly so many of the silly gun laws, and a ban on homosexual marriage as a great added bonus!  I mean seriously how many straight people wish that marriage was illegal for them?  Lucky gays.

If marriage were illegal, 90% of the men in the world would not get laid.  grin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2007, 08:00:33 PM »
OK, bring it back on topic, clownfish, or I will close it...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2007, 08:00:38 PM »

No, it was a joke, see.  I'm not gay.  Honest.

I'm really not. 

Seriously. 

[Insecure, stressed-out emoticon]

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2007, 08:49:23 PM »
Well, if anyone knows where I could pick up a nice double-needle machine that isn't currently in a container from China, and doesn't cost over a grand, I'd like to know.

Blog under construction

onions!

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2007, 03:15:12 AM »
Well,my search *might* have ended.I just recv'd a mail from Mom indicating that I was welcome to her old Singer.I'll be able to check it out on Thanksgiving.She said that it worked & was all there-whatever that means. smiley

Grislyatoms?I'll keep you in mind.If what she has is incomplete or rusty junk I'll PM you.Thanks for the offer.

Harold Tuttle?Kinda funny,the idiots people next door just did something similar.They stapled black plastic sheeting over the walls & windows in their living room.Other rooms have "clear" Visqueen,cut into panels,over the windows.Meat locker chic!

thebaldguy. grin Sweatpants!I have three pairs w/the same splits.I thought that it was just me...

Riley,Riley,Riley.>shakes head<What are we gonna do w/you. cheesy

BTW,I do have a bit of extra time on my hands right now.It's too dark to golf,I sold my .22-no tree rat hunting,& I'm single & not looking.

Thanks for the replies,I gotta go.I've a date w/a Richard Simmons video.Exercise! angel

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2007, 07:59:34 AM »
Sewing is a useful skill.  I have very limited sewing skills, BTW.

One of my accomplishments was to repair my football pants in Jr High.  My issue pants had pockets of ra ll the pads...with the stitches all ripped out.  Two hours, one needle, a lot of white thread, and one tube of Krazy Glue later, and I am ready for football.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2007, 08:46:26 AM »
Back in High School I did a very carefull study of the environment and decided to take a Basic Home Ec class.  I learned how to cook, sew, do laundry and other basic home skills. 

Oh, did I mention that I was the only male in a class of ~45 females Huh?  How gay, huh Huh??  I did the same thing by taking a typing class. (Again the only male in a class of ~ 60 females.)  My firends thought it was gay also, until they noticed that all these girls would come up and talk to me.  Having the same class with homework, group projects, etc. gave us a common connection.  After that I never did have much trouble finding a girl to go out with on Saturday Night.

Yes, I also took a couple of Industrial Arts classes (House Wiring, Metal Shop, Wood Shop, Auto Shop.) 

I brought a fairly decent, slightly used, sewing machine to my marriage.  (Which somewhat surprised Mrs Scout when I used it in front of her for the first time and actually managed to sew stuff togther and not my fingers.)   Sewing skills came in handy when I was in the Army to sew on patches, rank, badges, etc.  Now it's very useful since my son joined Cub Scouts (and I'm a den leader) to get all those patches on the uniforms (Holy crap are there a lot of patches !!!!!  But about 15 minutes on the machine and they're done, vs $15-20 at the tailors/cleaners).

Funny this topic came up.  I was just at Jo-Ann Fabrics and picked up some more clear thread for adding a couple of new cub scout patches and a yard of some fabric to make some "cases" for the protective eyewear (about 20 pairs of glasses) so they don't get all scratched up getting banged around in the range bag.

I can sew simple stuff (a fabric pouch with a draw string closure for glasses, 'fer instance), and sew on patches and make basic repairs to clothes.  I probably could do clothes/drapes, but only if you're not real picky as to finish/straight lines.   I did make a pair of pants/jeans from a pattern in high school.  (Imagine "Picasso Pants"   cheesy rolleyes)  I got a lot of "Nice Try !" and "You'll get the hang of it." type comments from the girls and the teacher.   

Nice thing is I got a well rounded education.  I can cook, clean, sew, do laundry, fix plumbing, do electrical, repair/maintain cars (at least until they became flippin' computers), build/make stuff with wood and/or metals, and have done all the other things that Heinlein mentioned, except the "Die Gallantly" part, I'll save that for much  later.   angel 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2007, 09:08:14 AM »
Goodness knows that mountain men, couriers du bois, lumberjacks, miners and cowboys probably did a lot of their own sewing, when there wasn't a squaw around.  Those nancy-boys.   cheesy

Of course, sailors had to mend sails and the like.  But we all know which way they swing.  Tongue