Author Topic: Reloading components  (Read 1372 times)

Paddy

Reloading components
« on: October 27, 2007, 06:46:08 PM »
Why is it so hard (impossible) to get bulk .223 55gr and .308 147, 150, 168, gr. bullets?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Reloading components
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
Uhh, maybe it's thought people will buy the cheap mil surp stuff in those weights instead of rolling their own?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 08:11:46 PM »
Uhh, maybe it's thought people will buy the cheap mil surp stuff in those weights instead of rolling their own?

Great.  Where can I purchase the 'cheap milsurp stuff'?  And is it boxer primed? (otherwise I'm not interested).

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 08:23:41 PM »
Most mil surp is boxer but crimped primers. You need a tool to uncrimp the primer pocket; Dillon sells em pretty cheap. I think, I've never reloaded. Just been around so much gun stuff I've sorta picked up things here and there.

And what are you meaning by bulk?

Cabela's sells em by the 500.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0012707213383a&navCount=6&podId=0012707&parentId=cat20843&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=perf&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20843&hasJS=true

Oh, I know what I was thinking of.... in the back of Shotgun News there is always a couple ads for bullets in mil cals with slight pull marks. IIRC they sell em by the thousand.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 08:32:47 PM »
Ok, here's a link. Lots of once fired bulk brass and such too.

http://listings.shotgunnews.com/gunad/category/S5800

SS109 M-855 BULLETS, 62 GR New US Manufacture, never loaded $45 per thousand. We have some with slight marks that were pulled from ammo for $35 per thousand. M-193 FMJ, .223, 55 gr. Slight marks, sized and polished $26 per thousand. .223 M-196 Red tip Tracer $35 per thousand. .223 M856 62 gr. orange tip tracer $160 per thousand. Dan or Steve 800-468-8617. www.hi-techammo.com

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 11:17:43 PM »
They Hueys are good guys, and semi-local to me - They do great components. If you've been to Knob Creek, you've probably seen their table, and if you shot rentals, there's a good chance that the gun was theirs...

Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 11:03:01 AM »
I'd be a little leery using milsurp brass. They tend to vary a lot in case capacity.  That can cause pressure problems unless you're careful.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 02:18:02 AM »
Why is it so hard (impossible) to get bulk .223 55gr and .308 147, 150, 168, gr. bullets?

Probably the same reason it's hard to get loaded ammo in those same bullet wieghts: supply and demand.  Right now the military is demanding most of the supply.  Not much left to sell retail.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?