Author Topic: I had no idea that the number of High School dropout was so large!  (Read 3384 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: I had no idea that the number of High School dropout was so large!
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2007, 03:55:50 AM »
. . .  I could take 5 years of Spanish or French, but if I wanted auto shop, I had to go across the town to the other high school . . .
How do you manage 5 years of one language in what's normally a 4-year program?

When I was in high school (1970s in Chicago) they required things like 4 years of English but only 3 years of a "math/science" combination. Reading Shakespeare and the books the teachers - mostly female - enjoyed reading when they were young was acutely painful. And it didn't help when my freshman English teacher told us her name and said ". . . ah teaches English and ah's a gunna learn all'a youse ta read and write bettah dis yearh . . . "  Turned out she was hired because the Board decided they didn't have enough minority teachers, so they lowered the standards for minority teachers.

My freshman class was 630, we graduated 470 four years later.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain