Author Topic: Having a dog sure is nice.  (Read 800 times)

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Having a dog sure is nice.
« on: October 30, 2007, 01:26:31 PM »
I've been working from home for about 2 months now.  I like being home the majority of the day, though it does make me stir crazy sometimes.  The nicest things about this situation are:

1)  I can snack on anything I want.
2)  I can keep a better eye on the place.

My work desk is built into the kitchen / dining room area, facing away from a nice big window that looks out our driveway.

Today my dog lets out a quick bark, hops up, comes to me, and looks out the window.  FedEx truck is right there.  I never saw or heard him coming, but the dog did!

I posted on here before about him alerting on absolutely everything, but now that he's a year old that's starting to taper off.  I tend to give him treats when he finds people in our yard (meter readers) and when a car is in the driveway and he lets me know.

Oh, and FedEx must be doing something new.  A minute or two after the guy left I got an email showing that my package was delivered.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Having a dog sure is nice.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 02:14:18 PM »
Yeah my dog alerts on everything.  The kids down the street have a kick-me dog, and walk it incessantly when the weather is good.  When we move into the new Casa we'll be way more secluded, I'll begin rewarding her for alerting there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 02:33:10 PM »
Yes, dogs are great companions and security guards.  I have two Chows, and one mutt.  They all bark if someone sets one foot onto our property.  If they come to the door, my large male Chow launches his body against the door (which is mostly a very thick piece of glass), bares his teeth and barks viciously. 

We don't get many solicitors.

None that have the cojones to make it to the door and knock, anyway.

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 02:37:57 PM »
Yes, dogs are nice.  Had one years back that pounced at a prowler trying to jimmy open a screened window and enter our home right next to the bed.  He never came back.  All I saw was big white teeth and ass and elbow shadows fleeing the scene.

Replacements are so vigilante, but I still wouldn't want to be a prowler coming through a window.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 02:41:28 PM »
I love my dogs... the golden is good natured and sweet, and the lab-mix is, well, good natured and sweet... but will ruin the day of anyone wanting to hurt his momma or daddy.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 03:17:29 PM »
I started a thread over on THR about dogs and dog quotes.  Here are some.

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
-Ann Landers

Every dog needs a boy.
-Dear Abby

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
-Ben Williams

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
-Andy Rooney

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
-Sigmund Freud

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.
-Rita Rudner

A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
-Robert Benchley

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.
-Franklin P. Jones

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.
-James Thurber

If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise.
-Unknown

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.
-Joe Weinstein

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!
-Anne Tyler

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
-Mark Twain

You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.
-Phil Pastoret 

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 04:11:59 PM »
My dogs have always been on guard and protective.  That is until I moved to the mountains.  Now they tell me when anything is moving, including people coming to the door who have been here before.  My friends tell me they are still "on guard" when I am not home.  I am not looking forward to the time when they are gone.  It is impossible to "replace" a dog.

Matt King

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 04:31:52 PM »
Dogs=Awesome