Author Topic: My wife the Viking  (Read 7238 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: My wife the Viking
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2007, 09:32:01 AM »
There is a world of difference between pagans and Satanists.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2007, 10:20:26 AM »

Yes there is....  I'd break bread with any Pagan

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2007, 11:22:23 AM »
Bliadhna math ?r!

Happy (Celtic) New Year!  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2007, 01:12:29 PM »

You might be surprised to learn that Sunday is the day of church for Christians because Emperor Constantine wanted to convert his soldiers to Christianity. The soldiers traditionally worshiped the Sun on Sundays, so Constantine absorbed a pagan worship to strengthen the Christian worship. 

There may be a grain of truth there, but you are really stretching it.  We worship on Sunday because Christ rose from the dead on that day.  Christians began meeting on Sundays long before Constantine.   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2007, 02:10:35 PM »
WHERE ARE ALL OF THE PICTURES?Huh?? rolleyes grin

Sorry about that, no photos.  Cameras are kinda frowned upon under certain circumstances.  Sides, I don't think my camera would have survived. 

On the plus side, my boss gave me off yesterday and today for 'religious observation' instead of vacation time.   (In fairness, I do usually work every other religion's major holidays.  ALL of 'em.)   

Yea, pagans know how to throw a better party.  Plus we have other colours in our wardrobe besides black and red.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2007, 02:31:56 PM »

Yea, pagans know how to throw a better party.  Plus we have other colours in our wardrobe besides black and red. 

Oooh, yeth.  Greenth, brownth.  Nithe Earth toneth.   laugh

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2007, 02:39:54 PM »
There may be a grain of truth there, but you are really stretching it.  We worship on Sunday because Christ rose from the dead on that day.  Christians began meeting on Sundays long before Constantine.   

Agree and yet also disagree.

Then why do Orthodox Jews and Seventh Day Adventists (I think) consider the Sabbath day to be Saturday?  Is that not the actual 7th day of the week?  Last time I checked God rested on the seventh day, not the first (Sunday).  Are these traditions not fairly long withstanding in and of themselves?

Granted I will give you that distinction is arbitrary, as we could arrange our calendar differently or recite the days of the week with different terminal points so long as we kept the same order.

On top of that, yes we observe the crucifixition and subsequent resurrection on a Friday/Sunday, but do we really have any proof that it happened on a Friday/Sunday?  Why not a Monday/Wednesday?  Is it any less amazing or meaningful that way?

Edit:  actually we do, but the point still stands that it's no less meaningful.  Sorry I'm tired after work and class.  My bad, but I'll leave my mistake in here and own up to it.

It reminds me slightly of people who swear that Jesus Christ was on born December 25, 0000.  If you dare suggest it could have been any time during the census, you are a heretic.

I quite frankly think that it's the spirit of the thing that matters here and not the actual mechanics of it.  I dare say the dates/days of the week we choose have to do with convenience and tradition (as fistful points out, obliquely) than any sort of true historical accuracy.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2007, 02:42:55 PM »
Then why do Orthodox Jews

Please note that Muslims and Jews do not use a solar calendar for religious purposes-it is lunar, and with Islam, the day begins at sundown, not sun-up (I believe it is the same for Jews, but I'm not sure.)

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
I didn't know that.  I always thought Jewish practicioners went to temple and other services on Saturdays.  Thank you shootinstudent.

Len Budney

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2007, 02:45:30 PM »

I think that was a back-justification. The earliest believers were Jewish, and they still attended synagogue on Saturday, and many observed the Sabbath. Sunday was a logical day for the Nazarenes to meet with each other.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2007, 02:56:30 PM »
I didn't know that.  I always thought Jewish practicioners went to temple and other services on Saturdays.  Thank you shootinstudent.

I believe they do-but saturday starts at sundown on Friday.  In Islam, Friday is the required day for prayers at the Masjid.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2007, 03:22:29 PM »

I think that was a back-justification. The earliest believers were Jewish, and they still attended synagogue on Saturday, and many observed the Sabbath. Sunday was a logical day for the Nazarenes to meet with each other. 

That may be.  However, the New Testament records that the disciples were together on "the first day of the week," when the risen Christ first appeared to them (after appearing to some of the women and a couple of men on the road, earlier).  I think there may be other references to Sunday meetings in the NT.  I may look them up later.

Euclid, the Jews certainly hold Saturday to be the Sabbath.  That doesn't mean that Christians couldn't and didn't begin to celebrate a different kind of Sabbath on a different day of the week.  The letter to the Hebrews would seem to apply.   smiley

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2007, 03:34:57 PM »

I think there may be other references to Sunday meetings in the NT.  I may look them up later.

Acts 20:7 is another one:

"And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2007, 03:41:06 PM »
Is that where the kid falls out of the window and dies?  Long, fatally boring sermons.  Another grand Christian tradition that goes ALL the way back.  laugh

Don't worry, folks.  The kid is brought back to life.   smiley

Len Budney

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2007, 03:43:27 PM »
No question they met on Sunday--though it's interesting that they were together on the first day of the week before they knew Christ had risen.  grin

Paul at least was busy on Saturdays, preaching in the synagogues. (Acts 9:20, 13:5)

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2007, 03:44:28 PM »
Is that where the kid falls out of the window and dies?  Long, fatally boring sermons.  Another grand Christian tradition that goes ALL the way back.  laugh

Don't worry, folks.  The kid is brought back to life.   smiley

That it is! 

And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, being fallen into a deep sleep: and as Paul was long preaching, he sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft, and was taken up dead.

I should be more grateful sometimes that my church building doesn't have high-elevation seats... laugh