Author Topic: Passports valid ID inside country?  (Read 1035 times)

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Passports valid ID inside country?
« on: October 31, 2007, 09:37:42 AM »
Are passports valid forms of ID inside the country?  I was having some visa applications notarized, when asked for ID, I handed the lady my pasport, cause it was sitting in the pile of paperwork I had out.  She still wanted a drivers license.  Didn't think to ask why at the time, bu has anyone else experienced this?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

HankB

• friend
Re: Passports valid ID inside country?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:41:21 AM »
A passport IS a government-issued photo ID . . . I can't imagine why it wouldn't be acceptable, especially when you're applying for visas. (Unless proof of current address was required?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:42:10 AM »
Cuz she stoopd, an wuz probly traned too axe fo' de lisensse.

Blog under construction

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 09:49:29 AM »
Yup, a passport is valid ID.  For some things, however, somebody will want, say, three forms of ID, one being "primary" (DL, Passport, etc.) and two being "secondary" (Student ID, Credit Card, etc.).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 11:15:10 AM »
In Virginia a passport is a valid ID for establishing citizenship when purchasing certain types of firearms.

So, for that matter, is voter's registration card.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 11:24:04 AM »
Walmart and some other grocery stores "swipe" my driver's license to track alcohol purchases.

If I go to the store to buy a six pack or a bottle of jack, I take my passport.

I don't like being swiped.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 11:28:50 AM »
OK, tis what I figured, he probably just wasn't used to seeing a passport.

I know she didn't need to see a drivers license according to the documents being notarized, cause they were all in Czech.  Wasn't even sure she wanted to notarize somethign she couldn't read. Smiley

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 12:43:09 PM »
Different states may have different ID laws for different purposes. I wonder if passports cannot be used by US Citizens as id for certain things. When I worked in a bar years ago, Minnesota law stated that the only valid ID for alcohol was a state issued driver's license/id card. I think military id was ok. If you were a US citizen, you could not use a passport to purchase alcohol; only foreigners could use a passport for alcohol id. That has changed. Passports are acceptable for alcohol id now. Here's the current law:

Subd. 6. Proof of age; defense; seizure of false identification. (a) Proof of age for
purchasing or consuming alcoholic beverages may be established only by one of the following:
(1) a valid driver's license or identification card issued by Minnesota, another state, or a
province of Canada, and including the photograph and date of birth of the licensed person;
(2) a valid military identification card issued by the United States Department of Defense;
(3) a valid passport issued by the United States; or
(4) in the case of a foreign national, by a valid passport.

I still laugh when I think of a girl trying to get served at the bar with a cheap carboard laminated check cashing id. She was upset that I wouldn't take it. I actually showed her the law in our bar book. That id was not acceptable. Funny how she didn't have any legitimate state id on her...

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 03:57:29 PM »
I still laugh when I think of a girl trying to get served at the bar with a cheap carboard laminated check cashing id. She was upset that I wouldn't take it. I actually showed her the law in our bar book. That id was not acceptable. Funny how she didn't have any legitimate state id on her...

Being the paranoid sort, I wonder what the odds of her being the 'sting' part of a police department were...

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 10:53:15 AM »
Funny how she didn't have any legitimate state id on her...

It's also funny how so many younger looking people try to buy cigarettes without ID.  But they SWEAR they are 18.  rolleyes

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 11:15:08 AM »
I try to buy tobacco without ID all the time, and I'm 21...

Best time I've ever been ID'd was last weekend.  Was drinking at the bar for a good hour while waiting for a table to open up, carry my almost empty beer to the table with me, ask the new waitress for a refill, and she tells me that she needs to see ID  rolleyes